Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s-type-s-type-r-supercharged-v8-x200-15/)
-   -   Engine Malfunction (Amber) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s-type-s-type-r-supercharged-v8-x200-15/engine-malfunction-amber-41234/)

RizwanSharp 08-25-2010 06:00 PM

Engine Malfunction (Amber)

What can cause this warning? I drove to office fine in the morning but way back to home got this...

Any suggestions what should be my next step?

Thanks a lot.

Rizwan

bfsgross 08-25-2010 06:06 PM

Rizwan, Check for codes. Anyone of dozens of items may be at fault alone or together, i.e. ignition coils AKA COP= coil over plug), spark plug failure, low engine oil and/or pressure, etc. Bring her to a well versed trustworthy mechanic if your not mechanically inclined. Again, check for a code(s).

RizwanSharp 08-25-2010 06:16 PM

I'm not techy with the cars so......

I'll take it to mechanic probably but I just wanted to get an idea what could be wrong.

Sorry "reading code" just passed away over my head. Can you tell me how to do that.

I'm sorry if I sounded to know nothing but thats the way it is :).

Thanks for your help.

bfsgross 08-25-2010 08:09 PM

Rizwan, no sweat. You can bring her to Autozone. Here they will either lend you a code reader that you plug into the OBDII receptacle (above you rknees) or perform this for you. At no cost, my mechanic plugs his code reader in and draws out the codes. He understands I'm a "Good" customer who'll have him perform necessary repairs. So if you have a trustworthy mechanic, let him/her plug in and read codes. How does she perform with this "Engine Malfunction" alert? Again, some possible problem areas could be ignition coil(s), plugs, ECU failure, etc.

RizwanSharp 08-25-2010 10:02 PM

Once Again thanks for the information. OK Here is the story. I cleaned the place where air filter fits on Sat... fit the filter after cleaning that place.. Filter was all new so it didn't need any replacement. The mistake I made was that I forgot to tighten that clamp that tightens the filter with air inlet. I just noticed that today when I was trying to look at the cause of the problem. I fixed that. Apart from that all fluids including engine oil were in right quantity and engine oil seems to have a good life in it too.

Apparently car is driving just fine without any problems.No signs of any problem. But I see two small things:

1) It has very minute vibrations not very noticeable. This was not when I bought the car 4 months back. You could hardly tell if the engine is running but now you can tell that (Again its very minute to be ignored but it was not there at all when I brought this car home and it started around 2-3 months back). So it is an old thing not that came with that Engine Light.
2) There is some bubble sound (you can hear from inside the car) it sounds like when you blow some air through some sort of Pipe into a glass full of water. Again this didn't come with this engine light and it was like that for months.

I just see these things in my car which I think are unusual but they are there before it showed this engine light.

OK Now, I just moved to San Antonio and don't know any mechanics here. I have read some really good reviews about http://ear-sa.com/ they work on all sort of European luxury and sport cars including Mercedes, BMWs, Ferraris and alike and people have some great things to tell about them.

I'm thinking to take my car to them and have everything fixed and have my car tuned if needed.

I also have extended warranty for the car.

Can you comment on the 2 things I mentioned above?

Once again a big thanks to bear with me :).

Best Regards,
Rizwan

JagV8 08-26-2010 05:50 AM

If you had an air leak (as it appears) it will cause the MIL. If you fixed it, the MIL will go off after 2 (maybe 4) cold-to-hot drive cycles (those are engine temperatures). The code(s) will stay stored for at least 40 cycles.

You could get the very cheap workshop manual from ebay (about $8) and it tells you soooo much.

Your own OBD tool such as elm327 is also very cheap ebay about $15-25.

RizwanSharp 08-26-2010 10:53 AM

JagV8, Thanks for your reply. Yes I fixed that as Car does not have any signs of any issues except that MIL, Is it Safe to drive car with that or to be on safe side I should have it checked.

About the Workshop manual. I have it and just getting used to it :).

I'll also buy scanner... to have more information.

Thanks for your help.

Best Regards,
Rizwan

JagV8 08-26-2010 12:36 PM

Only way to know is to read the codes. No point guessing.

RizwanSharp 08-26-2010 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by jagv8 (Post 238399)
Only way to know is to read the codes. No point guessing.

OK, Thanks. Will make an apointment next week and let you guys know what was this.

Thanks a lot for your help and suggestions.
-Rizwan

Mafioso 08-26-2010 01:01 PM

The gurgling you hear in the cabin can be the regifrigant boiling in the evap. It's very hot in tx right now. I hear it in my 03 str. Heard it in my 02 as well.

To you had an air metering issue the PCM didn't like Id clear the codes and see if they come back.

Jon89 08-26-2010 01:46 PM

That gurgling/bubbling sound in the cabin is usually the HVAC servo motors hunting for proper position and running too long as a result. This can occur in most modern vehicles, not just these S-Types....

Jayt2 08-26-2010 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by RizwanSharp (Post 238190)

OK Now, I just moved to San Antonio and don't know any mechanics here. I have read some really good reviews about http://ear-sa.com/ they work on all sort of European luxury and sport cars including Mercedes, BMWs, Ferraris and alike and people have some great things to tell about them.

I'm thinking to take my car to them and have everything fixed and have my car tuned if needed.

I also have extended warranty for the car.

Can you comment on the 2 things I mentioned above?

Once again a big thanks to bear with me :).

Best Regards,
Rizwan

Your extended warranty may be an aftermarket one. If so, you might call them to see if they'll honor the type of work you want done. Some after market warranties REQUIRE you to call them PRIOR to any work being done. Otherwise, you'll end up paying for all of it.

RizwanSharp 08-26-2010 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Jayt2 (Post 238440)
Your extended warranty may be an aftermarket one. If so, you might call them to see if they'll honor the type of work you want done. Some after market warranties REQUIRE you to call them PRIOR to any work being done. Otherwise, you'll end up paying for all of it.

Yes You are right. I mentioned about my warranty just in case if I find something big which I don't hope with a clean, well maintained car having 43K miles.

Thanks,
Rizwan

RizwanSharp 08-26-2010 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Mafioso (Post 238412)
To you had an air metering issue the PCM didn't like Id clear the codes and see if they come back.

That would be a good thing to try. Will removing battery connection for a few seconds clear them?

Mafioso 08-26-2010 08:54 PM

Stop by a local parts store they should be able to read the code from OBD-II if you ask nicely some places will erase the codes for you.

Disconnecting the battery will not work to clear the codes.

RizwanSharp 08-26-2010 09:32 PM

Thanks...

I'm not driving the car and have plan to go to Workshop on Wednesday.

Will post the results.

Best Regards,
Rizwan

Mafioso 08-27-2010 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by RizwanSharp (Post 238546)
Thanks...

I'm not driving the car and have plan to go to Workshop on Wednesday.

Will post the results.

Best Regards,
Rizwan

Great precaution but if notice it's normal you might be spending money without need. I would say before you did anything you get the codes from PCM. The pcms in these car are great at protecting the motor it won't hesitate to throw you in limp mode if there is a serious problem

RizwanSharp 08-27-2010 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Mafioso (Post 238637)
Great precaution but if notice it's normal you might be spending money without need. I would say before you did anything you get the codes from PCM. The pcms in these car are great at protecting the motor it won't hesitate to throw you in limp mode if there is a serious problem

Thanks a lot for suggestion, I know a lot of people mentioned this before but... anyhow

I went to Auto Zone and have them Scan and Clear the Code. The Guys was really nice and worked it out for me.

OK, The codes he told me were P1647 and P1111.

He told its probably some problem with ECM module itself. About P1647 JTIS says:

ECM HO2 Sensor control
malfunction –
bank 2 upstream (2/1)

He also cleared the code for me, I drove back and it didn't come back.

Any suggestions?

A BIG thanks to all folks who are following this up and give precious suggestions.

Thanks,
Rizwan

Mafioso 08-27-2010 01:37 PM

only thing I can advise is keep a close eye on P1647 It could be a false code it might not.

You will be able to tell before we will.

Pay close attention in drivability. your MPG's... smells...

the ELM tool someone had suggested is an invaluable tool for any car. warranty or not.

RizwanSharp 08-27-2010 01:42 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll keep keep it under my eyes... And see if code comes back.

Did some google.. and I came to know that some time O2 sensor fuse are cause of this error and some time O2 sensor themselves. And as you said it impact MPG. I think I did't notice any problem in my MPG.

Thanks,
Rizwan