Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s-type-s-type-r-supercharged-v8-x200-15/)
-   -   Entering Nav Address while driving (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s-type-s-type-r-supercharged-v8-x200-15/entering-nav-address-while-driving-2491/)

phattydeluxe 09-05-2007 01:09 AM

Entering Nav Address while driving

I have been trying to figure out how to remove the restriction on the Navigation system to enable entering addresses while driving on my 2003 S-Type R.

I recently purchased this Nav "update" DVD off of Ebay thinking it was the answer to my problem:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=270156062911

I ran this DVD update and it seemed to install correctly, but it did not fix the issue. It loaded the update (which took about 5 minutes), then reset my system, but still does not allow me to enter addresses while driving. I contacted the seller who instructed me to "force" an update.To do this he advised the following:switch on your ignition, Insert the Update DVD, press and hold the Telephone & Menu buttons simultaneously for approx 5 seconds, Input 1971 and press enter. On the following screen you will see a S/W update button. Press this and follow the on-screen instructions again.

I did this, and it seemed to work as described... prompting me that it was loading the update... afterwards it reset the system again... but still no dice... it still didn't fix the problem.

SO my question is this... is this possible to accomplish?!?! And if so... how?!?! Did I get scammed by this guy off ebay? Or has anyone successfully loaded an update like this? I am wondering if maybe he sent me an incorrect version of the update. He said it would work with 2002 and greater. But I thought that the 2002 and 2003 Nav Systems were totally different. But the system did seem to read and load the disc properly... so I am even more confused.

Anyone have any input?

Thanks!

momo 09-07-2007 03:50 AM

RE: Entering Nav Address while driving

Bump...I have no idea, but hopefully one the resident techs will chime in.

jag_genius 09-07-2007 09:28 PM

good luck ....

phattydeluxe 09-08-2007 11:30 PM

It seems the update I have may be a UK version? Maybe not compatible for US cars?

bah! someone must know!

Cajun Mojo 09-13-2007 04:57 PM

I Hope No One Can Help

I have a hard enough time putting in the address in my Jaquar when I am at
a complete standstill.

You have to lean over and look at the screen, while typing the address, one
letter at a time. Then the system will promt you with a couple of choices.
And you are doing this while driving 55 mph or so on a two lane highway.

Jaguar might have areason for this restriction . . . . . It is called Safety -
FOR THE OTHER DRIVERS.

I'm just saying [sm=badidea.gif]

phattydeluxe 09-14-2007 09:14 AM

RE: I Hope No One Can Help

Thanks for your concern.

The fact is many navigation systems funtion in that way, allowing you to enter information while driving. Some people are more adept at multi-tasking while driving, or entering information quickly on touchscreens. It requires no more effort on my part than looking down briefly to change the station on the radio, or adjust the climate control. Most of the time I don't even need to enter an address, but rather something simple, like change the map search area or quickly choose a POI. No more than a couple of taps. This isn't unreasonable at all... like I said... MANY Nav systems operate in this fashion.

aquill1 09-15-2007 08:58 PM

Hey phattydeluxe,
wish I could help you on that but I have no idea...

momo 09-17-2007 06:39 AM

ORIGINAL: phattydeluxe

Thanks for your concern.

The fact is many navigation systems funtion in that way, allowing you to enter information while driving. Some people are more adept at multi-tasking while driving, or entering information quickly on touchscreens. It requires no more effort on my part than looking down briefly to change the station on the radio, or adjust the climate control. Most of the time I don't even need to enter an address, but rather something simple, like change the map search area or quickly choose a POI. No more than a couple of taps. This isn't unreasonable at all... like I said... MANY Nav systems operate in this fashion.

I got your back phatty…for those who don’t have the OEM Navi? Everything is integrated into the Navi including the climate and audio controls. I’m always doing some thing related with the Navi while driving; because everything is intregrated into it and it just takes a second or two. I have yet to enter an address only because I have not driven anywhere far enoughand I live in a fairly small area.

JimC64 09-17-2007 07:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 196383

Sorry I cant help you out there phatty.....I dont have navi on my X[&:]
I do however have sat nav on my A6 AND it allows you to search / input info etc etc at any time.
I use it all the time and input info while driving, talking on the phone, at the same time as checking my mirrors, indicating and manouevering between lanes, probably whilst smoking at the same time...lol
My point is as you stated earlier....its all about multi tasking, and yes, plain n simple truth is that some are better than others at this.
How many times does anyone look at their speedo, check mirrors ( all three of them ) indicate, use the clutch pedal, cover the brake whilst keeping a steady pressure on the gas to maintain speed, possibly whilst eating a sandwich and or drinking a can of coke, changing the radio station as well as chatting to the passenger?
All in the space of a few seconds!
We all do it to varying degrees......

Good luck with your search phatty

Jim

Cajun Mojo 09-17-2007 10:42 AM

Multi tasking at work or on the computer is great , I highly recommend it.

But . . . . we are already at our limits while operating our vehicles.

As Jim stated : look at their speedo, check mirrors ( all three of them ) indicate, use the clutch pedal, cover the brake whilst keeping a steady pressure on the gas to maintain speed, possibly whilst eating a sandwich and or drinking a can of coke, changing the radio station as well as chatting to the passenger? And while you are at it add : Talking on your cell phone, turn signals, A/C adjustment , seat adjustment.

WOW . . . all that while driving.

And now you want to add another task to that , which would be the equivalent of sending a text message while driving.
. . . . . . Please tell me you don’t.

Yep . . . nobodyis not as good as driver as you are. You a not the norm.

I am very coordinated , alert and attuned to my surroundings at all times. Love cruising in my S-type on the toll road around the 120 range “very cool feeling”. I will never-ever drive at that speed with a passenger in the car or while talking on the phone, or changing the radio station.

I tried to operate my navigation system over the week end while driving. And found it to take my eyes “and thoughts” off the road for a second or two at the time.

You might want to try something next time you chart a trip somewhere. It is called preparation. Plan ahead and enter the address at a complete stop before you enter the freeway.

I was involved in a wreck 3 years ago. Some idiot girl hit me broad side , so hard it flipped my Yukon. Cause of accident . . . . well according to you Phatty she was multi tasking. Talking on the %@#**g Phone. Yep she got the ticket.

No Jim" We all do it to varying degrees......", we just think we are better at than others. The bottom
line is when it comes to operating a vehicle , weare not.

A concern father of a 16 year old driver. I practice what I preach.

Have a great day

aquill1 09-17-2007 04:22 PM

I actually agree with Jim...some people are better at doing multiple things at the same time...the problem is all it takes is one time of screwing up and meshing with the other person screwing up too...generally speaking some people are better than others though...I can change the station in my car use my phone find someone in my phones phonebook without looking at it...there are many people that couldn't open their phone without looking at it!

JimC64 09-17-2007 07:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 196367

Hey Cajun, so sorry to hear about your accident bro, no wonder you're so worked up on this issue!
Please believe me, I'm not trying to be smart, but as I have driven around 900,000 miles in the last 15 years mostly on business, averaging around 50k miles a year, I am probably better at it than most, thru experience.
I too however have a 21 year old daughter and would never advocate her trying anything near the same sorts of procedures.
You are of course right about being prepared in advance too, but with todays busy schedules it isnt always easy. I do try however to make sure the car is fuleed right up and all levels checked as well as tyre pressures before a long trip...........unfortunatley thatsabout as much as I have time for these days.
Horses for course I guess.

Cheers Cajun

Jim

aquill1 09-18-2007 08:37 AM

Hey jim whats the horses for course thing mean? You put it in plain english and I've still never heard of it! lol:D

JimC64 09-18-2007 09:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 196357

ORIGINAL: aquill1
Hey jim whats the horses for course thing mean? You put it in plain english and I've still never heard of it! lol:D
Its like....you wouldn't ask a marathon runner to take part in a 100m sprint race, or a sprinter to take part in a marathon, would you?
Horses for courses basically means stick to what you're good at and know your limitations.

Make sense bro?

Jim

aquill1 09-18-2007 08:20 PM

Oh yeah! I gotcha...on the first explanation...I like that saying...how exactly does it go I want to put that as my sig...

JimC64 09-19-2007 05:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 196315

Simple mate

"Horses for courses"

Jim

aquill1 09-23-2007 08:54 PM

Thanks bud!

bigdreams05 09-24-2007 10:49 AM

Plain and simple, if you're good at multi-tasking, great for you. That doesn't mean that you drive better when you multi-task than when you're dedicated to driving. Drive safe guys, and save a life!