Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Few S-Type questions (Newbie)

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2018, 06:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Few S-Type questions (Newbie)

Hello to all of the Jag community!

I'm a huge automotive enthusiast and just bought my first Jaguar, the S-Type 3.0 Sport 2003 with 133.000miles (215.000km). It has pretty much immaculate service history, brand new gearbox, ac-compressor, radiator... I'm reading the forums for quite a while now but I still have some questions regarding the car.
My AC blows warm air through the passenger door side air vent. If I clean the DCCV valve, could I cure the problem? It worked like a charm on my Audi A8!
How's the suspension parts quality? Are the ball joints on the control arms prone to fail a lot or are they good for a long run if all of the boots are intact?
It looks like the upper control arm ball joints can not be replaces separately, and the lower ball joint that does attach to the wheel hub looks like a big job to replace.

Thank you guys for all your answers!

Old 04-15-2018, 09:09 AM
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,784 Posts

You can search this forum for answers to many of your questions as they've been discussed before.

Have a read of this thread regarding the heater and ventilation operation:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ol-how-185002/

Old 04-15-2018, 09:11 AM

Thanks for the tip.
Anyone knows if it's possible for a non-cruise control S-type to add the steering wheel controls for the cruise control and connect? Would it work, or do I have to program it at the dealer? The same goes for the radio controls.

Old 04-16-2018, 11:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,984 Likes on 1,401 Posts

Originally Posted by Versace
My AC blows warm air through the passenger door side air vent. If I clean the DCCV valve, could I cure the problem? It worked like a charm on my Audi A8!
I've never heard of anybody cleaning the DCCV. I guess it couldn't hurt to try, but as difficult as the access is, personally I'd just want to install a new one and not worry about it. I

On 2003+ models, there is a known issue of a failed DCCV drawing too much current and damaging the control module. I'm not sure exactly why this happens. Even if the valve is physically jammed, the solenoid (and control module) should be able to handle this normal 100% duty cycle. One hunch is that coolant leaks into the solenoid and shorts it out, driving the current flow well above normal.

More details here, specifically post #2:

If you want to try cleaning your DCCV, you can find more details on how to test the current draw here:

DIY: Diagnose It Yourself - JaguarClimateControl.com

It says normal current flow for each solenoid is 0.6 to 0.9 amps. Any more than that is a problem, and it may have damaged the control module, too.

Old 04-22-2018, 03:15 AM

I have the non-touchscreen radio and I can get my hands on a very cheap perfectly working Touchscreen unit. Can I just replace my old radio with the Touchscreen unit (Plug&Play)? Do I need to buy the Touchscreen unit only or the disc drive together with the touchscreen as well?

Thanks for the answers guys I really like this board!!

Old 04-22-2018, 03:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 593 Likes on 470 Posts

It wil at least require a matching RCCM remote climate control module .

And also optionally the fiber and amp if you want to go for premium sound .

Old 04-22-2018, 08:47 AM

I would like to install the premium sound but too much hassle...
So, the Touchscreen and the RCCM module and I'm good to go? What about the wiring, everything connects to the previous setup/cables?

Old 04-23-2018, 02:01 AM
Veteran Member

no i recall some harness work required . there was a guy making plug and play harness adapters and supplying them on the UK forum . maybe this guy

Retrofitting touch screen sat nav controls

Old 05-04-2018, 06:24 AM

I'm already in shopping spree, I'm buying the components
I can get my hands on a fair deal for the 18 inch Mercury alloys with Pirelli tyres. How's the S-type with the 18 inch wheels? I have the factory 17 inch sport fitted at the moment and the car is pretty comfortable on those, if the tyre pressure is 2,4-2,5 bar, at the 2,8 it's getting pretty firm.

Old 05-04-2018, 08:00 PM
Veteran Member

I'm already in shopping spree, I'm buying the components
I can get my hands on a fair deal for the 18 inch Mercury alloys with Pirelli tyres. How's the S-type with the 18 inch wheels? I have the factory 17 inch sport fitted at the moment and the car is pretty comfortable on those, if the tyre pressure is 2,4-2,5 bar, at the 2,8 it's getting pretty firm.
the S type R on stock 18's seems fine for ride quality .
later STR's also came out on 19'' . i cant say how that feels .
i've never tried it.

Old 05-05-2018, 06:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Choose what you like but the bigger ones are heavier and ride harsher the bigger they are.

So if you're happy with the harsher ride and reduced performance go ahead.

Some places e.g. UK you'd also have to tell your insurer.

I gather 19" tyres tend to cost more than 18" ones.

Old 05-05-2018, 11:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,767 Posts

The factory touch screen is not very good and at this late date all the used ones will be old too. And the fact that you have the non-premium setup means you will have a LOT easier time fitting a nice modern aftermarket setup.

You will come out cheaper and have a much better end result. Especially using a nice double DIN aftermarket unit with all the bells and whistles like dash and backup cams, navigation, Blue Tooth, SAT radio, TPMS and all the updated phone stuff.

Old 05-09-2018, 06:47 AM

I really want to have the original look.
I would like to fit new speakers and amp, and I think it will sound a lot better.
I've just replaced all spark plugs and ignition coils yesterday, wow, what an idle! Smooth!
I also replaces the DCCV but it looks like that the climate control module is fried due to the currents of the bad DCCV, I'll have a better look at it today.
Do we have some good CD-changer emulators to be put in the S-type, for MP3?

Old 05-09-2018, 08:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 385 Likes on 310 Posts

Hi Versace, I recommend buying a set of pre-owned Jaguar wheels if you want to go down the bigger rims route because there is a good selection to choose from online and that will also help to retain the original looks. I was looking at a set of 18" rims on an S type for sale last week on eBay which were stunning original Jaguar wheels off another model. BUT the compromise in ride quality and knowing the dire condition of UK roads, its not an option for me no matter how good they look.

Having fitted a set of 20" AC Schnitzer racing alloy wheels to my previous 5 Series BMW, I can confirm that the lower the tyre profile, the less sidewall there is between the rim hitting the edge of potholes in the road.
Rim damage is expensive even if they can be jacked back out it tends to oval the wheel. I damaged two on one pothole, £2400 for two new rims and tyres later....
Mind you they were still better than the nasty runflats as OE fitment.

This website might help you choose a Jaguar rim type?
https://www.wheel-size.com/size/jaguar/s-type/
Can't vouch for its accuracy though.

Old 05-09-2018, 09:56 AM

I already made a downpayment on a set of beautiful Mercury 18” wheels with Pirellis. I hope that the ride quality stays the same!

Old 05-14-2018, 04:01 PM

Okay, the Climate control finally works! I've resoldered the climate control unit, and it's blowing ice cold. The only thing i'm curious about is why it's not blowing cold when the car is stationary, only when driving... Maybe something with the radiator cooler??
Guys I've got another question. I've seen a 2.7D with quite larger rear discs as on my S-type. As far as I know there are only 2 options, the classic brakes and the R brakes, or am I wrong? I would ceirtainly like to upgrade the brakes!

Old 05-14-2018, 04:24 PM
Veteran Member

It won't stop any better, being realistic.

I can't figure what's failed but yes it should cool better so something has. See what people say (or Search).

Last edited by JagV8; 05-15-2018 at 01:08 AM.
Old 05-15-2018, 12:04 AM
Veteran Member

Okay, the Climate control finally works! I've resoldered the climate control unit, and it's blowing ice cold. The only thing i'm curious about is why it's not blowing cold when the car is stationary, only when driving... Maybe something with the radiator cooler??
Guys I've got another question. I've seen a 2.7D with quite larger rear discs as on my S-type. As far as I know there are only 2 options, the classic brakes and the R brakes, or am I wrong? I would ceirtainly like to upgrade the brakes!
i dont know about your A/C .
but it looks like 03-05 rear disks are 287mm

and 06 onwards has the same diameter rears as the fronts .

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-326-m...IAAOSwcxVax4AX

Old 05-15-2018, 01:09 AM
Veteran Member

If it has an aux coolant pump maybe it's not working.

Make sure your (engine) fans are running (fast).

Last edited by JagV8; 05-15-2018 at 01:32 AM.
Old 05-15-2018, 12:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,984 Likes on 1,401 Posts

The only thing i'm curious about is why it's not blowing cold when the car is stationary, only when driving... Maybe something with the radiator cooler??
You’ve been warned, the answer is somewhere in here:

Most likely your AC system is operating at slightly reduced capacity.

Highway speeds with the engine turning at a good clip? That’s child’s play for an AC system to make cold air. You’ve got lots of ram airflow through the condenser and the compressor is happily spinning away. Even if everything isn’t optimal (low refrigerant, for example), the system still has plenty of reserve and the AC blows ice cold.

Stationary with the engine at idle? That’s a LOT tougher. The only airflow is from the radiator fan, and the compressor is barely turning. There’s very little reserve in the system under these conditions. Picture Scotty down in the engine room, telling Captain Kirk, “She’s giving all she’s got, Captain!” yet he’s not allowed to raise the compressor speed or increase the airflow.

So unless everything is perfect, it’s normal to see AC performance drop off a little when stationary. How much? That’s a judgement call. And how much time and money do you want to regain that last little bit? That’s another judgement call. But if you walk through my HVAC troubleshooting guide, you’ll see some low-buck methods to help determine what is going on. Don’t skip the DCCV test, as that could be part of the problem.

Quick Reply: Few S-Type questions (Newbie)