S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Pics of my XJR...

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 02:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

It's not my money, so I say bore it out to 5.0L. Then do an ECU upgrade.

Mike

The following users liked this post:
bfsgross (01-27-2012)
Old 01-27-2012, 02:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

George, a Mafioso air intake tube, low temp. thermostat, 1.5 lb. pulley, hi-flow cats, x-pipe, remainder of exhaust stock. Worth between 25-35 hp, slight (not overbearing) bark, quiet during cruise. Come my son...come join us.

Old 01-27-2012, 02:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 505 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by bfsgross
George, a Mafioso air intake tube, low temp. thermostat, 1.5 lb. pulley, hi-flow cats, x-pipe, remainder of exhaust stock. Worth between 25-35 hp, slight (not overbearing) bark, quiet during cruise. Come my son...come join us.
I'd do the intake tube for the sound alone... Now the million dollar question.

Does the Mafioso intake fit the XJR? Aka is the intake tract in exactly the same place?? Is the airbox in the same place?

You know... I'm wondering if it's even worth messing with. It's not a stoplight racer - wayyyy too traction limited even in stock form...

Now, from a roll, the car can get up and go, but even if I did all you describe, and say I got the 30hp. It's a 7.5% increase in hp, mostly at the peak which you dont get into that often... Well unless you drive around fishing... Honestly if that was my intention, I don't think I'd set off in the jag to being with (Remember the 87 iroc drag car bfg?)

Honestly I think the greatest useable improvement would be to tweak the handling a little bit... Maybe mess with the air supsension and lower the car a bit...

Take care,

George

Old 01-27-2012, 02:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Originally Posted by Bacardi 151
Exhaust violates #1 and a pulley violates #2 & #3...Looks like there's only one mod that will fit your criteria...Anyone care to guess which mod I'm going to say?
High performance fuzzy dice!

Old 01-27-2012, 03:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Pah. Leave the car alone. It is what it is.

Old 01-27-2012, 03:52 PM
Veteran Member

Look guys...Georges' XJR is too quiet. You wouldn't want him to fall asleep at the wheel, would ya? Listen George, of course once the mods are performed the XJR wouldn't be the King of the Hill. What's this is all about is; "You". Challenge yourself and your "R". Come on guy, bump her up a notch. I'm betting you'll realize a much noticeable difference in oomph from your s/c cat. There's a guy on Youtube and dragtimes.com who has his 2003 XJR doing high 12's in the 1/4, and I believe this is with not too much more than a 1.5 lb. pulley. These 400 hp motors really come alive after uncorking the intake, exhaust and winding up the blower with a pulley and port/polish. One of us has a Quafe LSD and XKR TCM flash. Take a pic of airbox to intake so we may help you determine if a Mafioso air intake elbow will adapt. Come on George...do it.

Old 01-27-2012, 04:32 PM
Veteran Member

Look guys...Georges' XJR is too quiet. You wouldn't want him to fall asleep at the wheel, would ya? Listen George, of course once the mods are performed the XJR wouldn't be the King of the Hill. What's this is all about is; "You". Challenge yourself and your "R". Come on guy, bump her up a notch. I'm betting you'll realize a much noticeable difference in oomph from your s/c cat. There's a guy on Youtube and dragtimes.com who has his 2003 XJR doing high 12's in the 1/4, and I believe this is with not too much more than a 1.5 lb. pulley. These 400 hp motors really come alive after uncorking the intake, exhaust and winding up the blower with a pulley and port/polish. One of us has a Quafe LSD and XKR TCM flash. Take a pic of airbox to intake so we may help you determine if a Mafioso air intake elbow will adapt. Come on George...do it.
Tell me that after I do a stereo in it

Btw, the 03 is a completely different chassis / motor.

I'll indulge the intake tube, just cause it sounds mean.... What's so different with the XKR TCM flash?

Pic of the motor in the morning when I get daylight.

Take care,

George

Old 01-27-2012, 04:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by androulakis
I'd do the intake tube for the sound alone... Now the million dollar question.

Does the Mafioso intake fit the XJR? Aka is the intake tract in exactly the same place?? Is the airbox in the same place?
If you want loud whine you could plug the supercharger silencer ports which requires taking it off...The million dollar question is if Mafioso will ever make them again...

Originally Posted by androulakis
What's so different with the XKR TCM flash?
Unsure how the XJR is "flashed" but the STR (and possibly all S-Types) are "flashed" to shift at a lower RPM...

Old 01-27-2012, 04:57 PM
Veteran Member

Ah... is the 03 XJR the 4.0 SC and the 04 the 4.2 SC? If it is, it's more like the STR

(They changed PCMs and other stuff, getting more like the STR.)

But... it's an XJ. It's supposed to be quiet and refined.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:14 PM
Veteran Member

In 2002 the 4.0 went South with the debut of the 4.2 in 2003. Georges 2005 XJR has the identical motor and trans. as the STR. The TCM is flashed at the same port as the ECU. I have the XKR TCM file that Mafioso loaded in his STR, and will have Jag perform this to my STR. It causes his cat to shift higher in the RPM range. I'm going to have Jag load the file once my cat is repaired. The TCM file is:Z65x556x202fed.phx

Last edited by bfsgross; 01-27-2012 at 09:17 PM.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:18 PM
Veteran Member

In 2002 the 4.0 went South with the debut of the 4.2... Georges 2005 XJR has the identical motor and trans. as the STR. The TCM is flashed at the port as the ECU. I have the XKR TCM file that Mafioso loaded in is STR, and will have Jag perform this to my STR. It causes his cat to shift higher in the RPM range. I'm going to have Jag load the file once my cat is repaired. The TCM file is:Z65x556x202fed.phx
Actually,

It depends on the model when the 4.2 took over. It was 2003 in the S-type / R. It didn't show up till 2004 with the X350 aluminum chassis in the XJ. Btw my XJR is an 04.

The 2003 XJ / XJR is the last of the x308 chassis which dates 95-03 I believe.

Nice cars none the less, and the later x308's are pretty much the most reliable Jags, except for rust issues.

Take care,

George

Old 01-27-2012, 10:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 215 Likes on 127 Posts

The engine is the same in yours and the STR. I was looking at the 04-05 XJR's when I got my STR. The Mafioso may not fit because even though everything is in the same location because of the wider track I believe the airbox is a little farther away from the engine so the tube may not be long enough. Thats at least the way it looks to me. If you can get one you may be able to run it with a longer coupling if that is the problem. Other then that I dont think there will be any difference in the intake.

Awesome ride btw. I love XJR's but I was looking for a little bit of a smaller car which is why I shifted to the STR.

Old 01-28-2012, 04:39 AM
Veteran Member

In 2002 the 4.0 went South with the debut of the 4.2 in 2003. Georges 2005 XJR has the identical motor and trans. as the STR. The TCM is flashed at the same port as the ECU. I have the XKR TCM file that Mafioso loaded in his STR, and will have Jag perform this to my STR. It causes his cat to shift higher in the RPM range. I'm going to have Jag load the file once my cat is repaired. The TCM file is:Z65x556x202fed.phx
His is an 04.

I think you have a 5 missing in that file name. I reckon it's Z65x5556x202fed.phx
btw, case won't matter as it's for a Windows app.

You can grab the files from GTR (I did).

That file looks to be for the TCM of the X202, VIN M44998 - M96300 (MY02_5 4.2L Supercharger).

If it has different shift points than the one for immediately following VINs.... very interesting and I wonder why?

In case you want to go into more detail maybe we should start another thread. I can tell you what I got from GTR and so on.

bfsgross (01-29-2012)
Old 01-29-2012, 03:44 PM
Veteran Member

Well,

I've had nothing but wheel / tire drama since I got this car.

First the car had a nasty steering shake, which after looking at the tires while spinning on my balancer, I realize the car had a shifted belt on one of the Pirelli P6 tires. I put it on the back and the the wheel got rock solid, BUT the car still had a vibration through the chassis.

The spare tire also was torn up (had a sidewall tear).

So I took the car to my tire guy, and told him to replace the two rear tires. We agreed on Falken FK-452's. I told him to use the driver side rear rim, and the spare rim (which had a torn up pirelli on it), and to put the passenger side pirelli in the spare tire well.

All is well with that, and I get the car back Friday afternoon with the two new rear tires. It was smoother, but not as smooth as it should have been. I figured something else was up with the suspension.

SO Saturday evening I drive the car about 45 mins north, to go pick up my fiance and go to dinner. As we are driving, suddenly the car starts shaking violently. - Pull over, get out and I realize I just had a blowout on one of my brand new Falkens. WTF right? I didn't remember hitting anything notable, especially anything that would damage a tire.

I get the wheel off, and what do I see. The inside lip of the rim has a nasty bend in it, with bead sealer oozing out of the bend.

SO here is my theory. The previous owner hit something, bent the rim, and tore up the sidewall of the tire in the spare tire well. Replaced the bad wheel with the then good spare. When the tire shop went to mount the spare rim, there was the bend in it, and they struggled to to get the bead to seal due to the rim. Instead of calling me and telling me listen, this rim is bent bad, you probably shouldn't use it. (And I would have told him to dismount the other pirelli and use the good rim on the car), they just slathered bead sealer in there and got the tire to hold air.

SO 50 or so miles and a bit of aggressive driving later, the bead sealer fails. AND the tire immediately drops pressure, at speed on the Garden State Parkway. Thankfully we are both ok, and I had the Pirelli spare, and I brought the car home. Now.... I have a destroyed Falken tire I just paid $220 for, that should never have been mounted on that rim, because as we saw, all the bead sealer in the world didn't help, and it was a safety issue.

AND I have a bent rim as the spare. I'm going to call the tire shop and complain tomorrow, and at least try to get him to replace the brand new tire, with another on the good rim, so the car has two matched tires in the back.

I really didn't want to get into aftermarket wheels / tires on this car. BUT those senta 20" copies on ebay are looking more and more attractive after all this BS. Get ready for war at the tire shop if it comes down to it tomorrow.

Take care,

George

Old 01-29-2012, 04:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Pretty car George, bummer 'bout the tires/wheels though.

Old 01-29-2012, 04:10 PM
Veteran member
Received 251 Likes on 220 Posts

Damn! I would do this to the tire shop

Discount Tire Little Old Lady - YouTube

The following 2 users liked this post by Michael Star:
androulakis (01-29-2012), bfsgross (01-29-2012)
Old 01-29-2012, 06:36 PM
Veteran Member

George, see if you can hold off on the aftermarket wheels. Call Coventry West (Atlanta, GA.) to see if they have a rim. Dude...yer gettin married? Too bad we never spoke, too late, yer screwed. LOL! Mazel Tov Bro!

Old 01-29-2012, 06:47 PM
Veteran Member

George, see if you can hold off on the aftermarket wheels. Call Coventry West (Atlanta, GA.) to see if they have a rim. Dude...yer gettin married? Too bad we never spoke, too late, yer screwed. LOL! Mazel Tov Bro!
Lol yeah I am..

I thought you didn't get screwed until the divorce lol!!

I will give them a call - I'm not a big aftermarket rim guy with my jags.. Most of the wheels available tend to be marketed towards the "urban" set.

I'd love a set of bbs or oz racing wheels but they just want too dang much for them. That being said. I have a tendency to play musical OEM rims. I wonder what a set of sabre or senta wheels would look like on the xjr..

Take care,

George

bfsgross (01-29-2012)
Old 01-29-2012, 07:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts

George, I believe that I have just seen some rims in the classifieds here as of lately.

BIG bummer about the mess, as you said atleast no one was hurt in the muddle.

I hope your tire guy is understanding.

Old 01-29-2012, 08:05 PM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Wow! I can't believe the tire shop didn't even mention that. When I had a bent inside lip, they refused to do any more work on it and called me right then. That guy risked your fiance's and your life, just to get you out the door. I would be so pissed off! I know you will handle that, maybe a free replacement due to negligence, but I wouldn't trust him putting on the new one.
Good Luck with the new ride!

Quick Reply: First Pics of my XJR...