Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s-type-s-type-r-supercharged-v8-x200-15/)
-   -   Folding mirrors? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s-type-s-type-r-supercharged-v8-x200-15/folding-mirrors-92768/)

ZenLaw 04-01-2013 02:59 PM

Folding mirrors?

Does anybody have a 03'04 str and have working folding mirrors? Manual says put mirror button in middle and press back. They cant be pushed in. So I'm guessing mine are jammed? Any info on that? Thanks. Zen

JagV8 04-01-2013 03:15 PM

Does yours have the feature? Many/most don't.

Mine does and the spec details I got from Jag list it so maybe email them and ask for your car's detailed spec (or ask at any jag franchise).

The details are really worth having IMO.

jimbov8 04-01-2013 03:19 PM

Hi Zenlaw,
Check the fuses first.
Spray the base of both mirrors, where they swivell, with WD40.
Push both mirrors to the folded position and then try again.

What may have happened is one of the mirrors may have been knocked slightly out of position.

I have had this happen to me and the above cured it.

If you do have the power folding mirrors they can be switched on/off via dealer programming.

Hope this helps.

Mikey 04-01-2013 03:25 PM

Not sure if N. American S-types got electric folding mirrors.

ZenLaw 04-01-2013 03:48 PM

they will not push. its like they don't move at all, are yours movable?

GT42R 04-01-2013 04:17 PM

Mine are exactly like that too, they are not power folding, and will not fold by hand either, I've searched this issue on the forum, and the consensus appeared to be "they're seized up but they will fold with enough force or given strong enough of an impact"...

Seems like power folding option was more common on European models, with majority of the american market cars getting manual folding,

JOsworth 04-01-2013 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Mikey (Post 708424)
Not sure if N. American S-types got electric folding mirrors.

They did not.... It was however listed as a dealer accessory in my literature. Power mirrors are a Euro thing for the most part.

I never did see if my mirrors folded it by hand. Most are spring loaded on other cars in the US. I did have a really close call accident with mine where my mirror was struck by the mirror of a passing E Class coupe (It was an early 2000's in white..it is burned in my memory). My mirror did not pop in but the cover came loose. Luckily it just snapped back on and the scratch simply buffed out....

Six Rotors 04-01-2013 04:58 PM

Mine fold manually(2004,4.2l).If you want pics let me know.It took me a while to get the mechanism free.

JagV8 04-01-2013 05:42 PM

I think they all fold manually, ut many have been allowed to corrode more or less solid. Even the powerfold can be manually folded (been there!) though I'm not sure it's good for them.

If they seem solid, maybe remove the rear shell (cover) and apply lubricant.