Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s-type-s-type-r-supercharged-v8-x200-15/)
-   -   Front lower control arm bolts (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s-type-s-type-r-supercharged-v8-x200-15/front-lower-control-arm-bolts-205472/)

Nottrndy 07-24-2018 12:44 PM

Front lower control arm bolts

I have a 2001 s-type 3.0l. I'm trying to remove the front lower control arms to replace a worn bushing. One of the bolts seems to interfere with the steering rack while trying to remove it. Is there a trick to this? Or am I really going to need to remove the steering rack to get this bolt out. Thought about cutting the bolt and running the new bolt in the other direction. I dont see an issue in doing this. Anybody else have a different opinion?

NBCat 07-24-2018 03:59 PM

Follow the procedure in the Workshop Manual (Section 204-01, page 106). Removal of the front suspension lower arms requires removing the bolts holding the steering rack to the subframe.

If you don't have the Workshop Manual, you can download it here:

http://jagrepair.com/images/AutoRepa...M-Workshop.pdf

Busa 07-25-2018 03:03 AM

Cut and replace the bolts which will realistically be corroded badly. The steering rack bolts will be the same.
A good opportunity to smear the new bolts with grease.

Removing the front, lower, rear offside suspension arm on mine soon.
One of the bolts has seized/corroded in the steel liner of a bush so cutting it out is the only way.
You could sit there welting it with a large hammer but that would likely be causing damage elsewhere.

Nottrndy 08-01-2018 07:28 AM

Thanks for responding. I went ahead and cut the bolts and replaced them. The new bolt works fine. Unfortunately all that effort didn't solve the problem I was trying to fix.

Busa 08-01-2018 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Nottrndy (Post 1939644)
Thanks for responding. I went ahead and cut the bolts and replaced them. The new bolt works fine. Unfortunately all that effort didn't solve the problem I was trying to fix.

Ah right, I thought it was just a bush replacement from your post. No worries. Can you describe the issue to us?

Nottrndy 08-01-2018 01:28 PM

My car is making a rattling/knocking noise when I hit bumps in the road. Through my experience that's usually a bad bushing allowing the arm to bang around. The bushing I replaced was the only one that was worn. So I replaced it hoping to solve my problem. It needed to be changed but it's not what was making the noise. I've inspected the whole front suspension several times. I cant see where it's coming from. Any ideas?

S-Type Owner 08-01-2018 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Nottrndy (Post 1939809)
My car is making a rattling/knocking noise when I hit bumps in the road. Through my experience that's usually a bad bushing allowing the arm to bang around. The bushing I replaced was the only one that was worn. So I replaced it hoping to solve my problem. It needed to be changed but it's not what was making the noise. I've inspected the whole front suspension several times. I cant see where it's coming from. Any ideas?

The S-type (and E class Mercedes for that matter) are pretty well known for rattling noises from hitting bumps in the road. One common cause is the anti-roll bar link, Jaguar part #XR855185. These typically run from the low $20s to the mid $50s each, depending whether they are OE or after-market parts.

NBCat 08-01-2018 01:51 PM

A well documented issue is the strut lower bushes causing noise due to excessive wear.

Nottrndy 08-01-2018 02:03 PM

Thank you. I was considering the sway bar links next. The lower strut bushings looked to be in good shape but I'll put those on the list too. It's a 17 year old car with almost 190000 miles. Even if the noise doesn't go away these parts are probably ready to be changed anyway.

NBCat 08-01-2018 02:19 PM

Also, take a look at the upper strut isolator as they also perish with age:

https://www.sngbarratt.com/uk/#!/Eng...3-360023367269

Nottrndy 08-01-2018 03:12 PM

I wasnt aware of the upper isolator. I'll check that out. Thanks.

TooVeryLegit 08-08-2018 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by S-Type Owner (Post 1939816)
The S-type (and E class Mercedes for that matter) are pretty well known for rattling noises from hitting bumps in the road. One common cause is the anti-roll bar link, Jaguar part #XR855185. These typically run from the low $20s to the mid $50s each, depending whether they are OE or after-market parts.

Quick follow-up I replaced upper control arms and various links, and all 4 struts Last year the more I got into it the more parts I saw were bad and replaced, but now I'm hearing a clunk noise when turning at times also when going over bumps, my shop test drove it and wants to replace both lower control arms @ $1200, while I know that could be the issue your reply made me ask what other possible causes could it be, I would rather hit all the little ones 1st, then the big one my 04 has 65k miles, I read several post that just the Control Arm Bushing could just be replaced at a savings, what do you think?

Nottrndy 08-08-2018 03:57 PM

Tooverylegit, I'm not sure if there is a difference between your 04 and my 01 but I changed the bad bushing myself and it cost me about $35. Way better than 1200 I think. I would thoroughly check the suspension and find what's giving you the problem. My next stop is the isolator on the top of the strut.

S-Type Owner 08-08-2018 04:52 PM

I too would recommend changing only the control arm bushings; that said, I would not skimp on the quality of the bushings, so please don't use the cheapest you can find on eBay.

Good luck on your project!

JR

TooVeryLegit 08-11-2018 08:31 AM

Thanks I saw a huge price range in bushings gonna need to do some research

Nottrndy 08-11-2018 05:02 PM

Those bushings probably come from the same plant in China. I've had no issues with the less expensive ones. It's all about your personal situation. Good luck to you.