Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s-type-s-type-r-supercharged-v8-x200-15/)
-   -   Happy Fourth of July! (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s-type-s-type-r-supercharged-v8-x200-15/happy-fourth-july-204338/)

kr98664 07-03-2018 11:54 PM

Happy Fourth of July!

Looks like I get to be first to wish the forum a happy Fourth of July.

Maybe some of you Brits can answer a question I’ve always had about this most American of holidays. Since we Yanks are actually celebrating our independence from the English, do you even have a Fourth of July on your side of the pond?

Mandatory Jaguar Content (MJC) so I’m not accused of being off-topic: I’ll be driving my S-Type to work tomorrow. Airlines never rest...

Datsports 07-04-2018 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by kr98664 (Post 1923583)

Maybe some of you Brits can answer a question I’ve always had about this most American of holidays. Since we Yanks are actually celebrating our independence from the English, do you even have a Fourth of July on your side of the pond?

Mandatory Jaguar Content (MJC) so I’m not accused of being off-topic: I’ll be driving my S-Type to work tomorrow. Airlines never rest...

i feel left out . so ill drop in and wish you an excellent drive to work .
any ways 4th of july is almost done here in this corner of the globe as yours is about to begin .
also i took the STR to work as well today . the heated seat was a pleasure with this mornings bitter wicked frost .
that was the days highlight .

Donna 07-04-2018 03:41 AM

Its more 'Happy Traitor Day, Ungrateful Colony'

Humour only ;-)

JagV8 07-04-2018 05:35 AM

We don't celebrate it. I think we weren't that pleased that you went independent - I have a sort of recollection of a war!

We do have a 4th July - i.e. we didn't go so far as to delete that date :)

(I wonder if we'll have an EU-independence day...)

kr98664 07-04-2018 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by JagV8 (Post 1923667)
We do have a 4th July - i.e. we didn't go so far as to delete that date :)

Thank you, thank you. I was starting to sweat that nobody would take the bait I lovingly presented...

Warspite 07-04-2018 06:09 AM

A Happy and most of all, a SAFE 4th to all.

Staatsof 07-04-2018 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by kr98664 (Post 1923675)
Thank you, thank you. I was starting to sweat that nobody would take the bait I lovingly presented...

Actually ... I think many there were not exactly pleased with King Georges costly and poorly fought war which could have been avoided were it not for the onerous taxes and heavy handed tactics here. Also, support here for independence was not universal by any means. In the end it eventually settled down and at least we never attacked England's mainland again after it was over! :p

I watched a documentary on Lafayette yesterday and was surprised to learn that he had a prominent nobleman in England as an ally in his efforts to assist the Americans against the British during the revolutionary war.

So happy 4th and be glad you're rid of a tiresome bother! :p

Warspite 07-04-2018 10:50 PM

Will there be a Happy Brexit Day? It'll be sort of an Independence Day (from the EU), right?

NBCat 07-04-2018 11:46 PM

The fourth of July is just another work day in the UK; nothing special by any means. I doubt most British people know nor care about what that date means to Americans. The date is part of your country's story and is important for how it affected the history of other countries.

NBCat 07-04-2018 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by Warspite (Post 1924109)
Will there be a Happy Brexit Day? It'll be sort of an Independence Day (from the EU), right?

I doubt Mrs May and her government will present the British people with something to remember other than a poorly negotiated example of shooting one's self in the foot and admiring the aim.

JagV8 07-05-2018 01:21 AM

And she'll have been aiming somewhere else!

Staatsof 07-06-2018 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by JagV8 (Post 1924143)
And she'll have been aiming somewhere else!

Never ask the people the answer to a question unless you already know the answer!