Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s-type-s-type-r-supercharged-v8-x200-15/)
-   -   Head Gasket (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s-type-s-type-r-supercharged-v8-x200-15/head-gasket-212441/)

Uno Strzelichowski 01-03-2019 07:57 PM

Head Gasket

I'm getting tired of working on Jaguars but I have no other choice. I've got a 2001 Jaguar S type 3.0 v6. A few months ago, my head gasket blew and I've started to work on it after a while (college got me super busy). I marked everything that I took out and I've managed to put in a new pair of head gaskets. After a few days of opening everything up and closing everything, the engine was finally back in one piece. I put all the corresponding electronic connectors back, connected the battery and turned on the ignition, but all I heard was a starter going tick tick tick and that was it. After a further inspection, whenever I turned on the ignition, the crank pulley would just go back and forth in a clockwise manner. I'm suspecting that I may have dropped a screw while I was working on putting in the head gasket or the crank has somehow seized up on me. What should I do? I'm literally stumped and I'm about to call up a junk yard for it.

joycesjag 01-03-2019 10:22 PM

Is the battery fully charged?

kr98664 01-03-2019 10:22 PM

Two quick thoughts:

The back and forth motion could be caused by a weak battery. If partially discharged, the battery may not have enough oomph to fully overcome compression. As a piston rises on the compression stroke, the starter has to work harder to keep turning the crankshaft. With a weak battery, the starter can stall and if the piston hasn't reached TDC, compression will push the piston back down and briefly turn the crankshaft backwards. Make sure the battery is fully charged before doing anything else.

If still worried about internal binding of the engine, use a socket and breaker bar on the crankshaft pulley nut. See if you can manually rotate the crankshaft. If the required force seems excessive, remove the spark plugs so you're not fighting compression.

Uno Strzelichowski 01-04-2019 02:52 PM

Stuck again

Well took my battery to the charging station and it’s being charged right now. As far as the crankshaft, it still won’t move after a certain point but it does move backwards a bit. Here’s the position it’s stuck on. I took off the spark plug and I’m about to take off the cylinder head.

Norri 01-04-2019 04:39 PM

You are not supposed to turn the engine backwards.
So with no plugs you cannot rotate the engine by hand?
Did you have the engine locking tool in place when setting the valve timing? It's not set at TDC.

Uno Strzelichowski 01-04-2019 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Norri (Post 2009318)
You are not supposed to turn the engine backwards.
So with no plugs you cannot rotate the engine by hand?
Did you have the engine locking tool in place when setting the valve timing? It's not set at TDC.

Mall the plugs are out and no I didn’t use any locking tool in place when I took out the cylinder head. I tried turning it clockwise and it won’t budge

Norri 01-04-2019 07:10 PM

I expect that's the problem then your valve timing is probably off.