Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hi Jon, XK8 Update?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 05:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by androulakis
Why did I just have an image of the Mrs in a sidecar? LOL....

Sorry Jon - Just kidding

Take care,

George
That didn't come out the way I intended. However, if she has her iPad, she won't know the difference.

Old 01-30-2012, 06:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Jon, don't let the wifey see this!

Video Demos - TheJagWrangler

Old 01-30-2012, 08:10 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by joycesjag
Jon, don't let the wifey see this!

Video Demos - TheJagWrangler

Rick,

You had to pick a video with the Jag having the same colors as the one Jon will be picking up. Once seen, once bought.

Mike

Old 01-30-2012, 10:55 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by carelm
Rick,

You had to pick a video with the Jag having the same colors as the one Jon will be picking up. Once seen, once bought.

Mike

heh heh heh!!

Just helping Jon spend his $ !!! What are friends for.........

Old 01-30-2012, 10:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,275 Likes on 2,812 Posts

Nope, absolutely not. I'm too worried about "the green shower of death". Adding a remote feature for top down/top up just invites more frequent top operation for those folks who are addicted to electronic toys and therefore puts the vehicle one step closer to the latch hose hydraulic failure that dominates the discussions on the XK8 forum. Not going to happen on ours, fellas....

The car is awaiting pre-sale inspection at the Jaguar dealership in Jacksonville, Florida right now. If it passes their comprehensive two-hour inspection, it ships out tomorrow headed for our house by late this week. My wife has already phoned me twice this morning to see if I have the inspection results yet...

Old 01-30-2012, 11:02 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jon89
Nope, absolutely not. I'm too worried about "the green shower of death". Adding a remote feature for top down/top up just invites more frequent top operation for those folks who are addicted to electronic toys and therefore puts the vehicle one step closer to the latch hose hydraulic failure that dominates the discussions on the XK8 forum. Not going to happen on ours, fellas....

The car is awaiting pre-sale inspection at the Jaguar dealership in Jacksonville, Florida right now. If it passes their comprehensive two-hour inspection, it ships out tomorrow headed for our house by late this week. My wife has already phoned me twice this morning to see if I have the inspection results yet...
Jon,

What happens if it fails? (Why do I have this mental picture of you bribing the tech?)

At any rate, good luck on the new car. In my case, I'm looking (not seriously though) at a 2007 XK. Still out of my price range, but it doesn't hurt to dream.

Mike

Old 01-30-2012, 11:19 AM
Veteran Member

Mike,

If it fails I'm out the cost of the inspection process, but we simply do not go through with the purchase of the car....

Yes, my wife will throw a tantrum. Yes, she will bawl like a two-year-old when she gets home late this afternoon. But George will keep scouring the auctions for us. Neither George nor I are willing to accept a flawed car. My wife has finally accepted that fact. I have made it absolutely clear to her. So, it will not be pleasant around here if the car fails, but she will have to get over it....

Last edited by Jon89; 01-30-2012 at 11:23 AM.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:49 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by carelm
Jon,
In my case, I'm looking (not seriously though) at a 2007 XK. Still out of my price range, but it doesn't hurt to dream.

Mike
Better watch what you dream mike, George is watching this thread, he might just be calling you!

Jon, the remote top would save the dry cleaning bill if one were to be sitting in the vehicle when it decided to let the green shower of death happen.

Old 01-30-2012, 12:57 PM
Veteran Member

Rick,

I don't care about the dry-cleaning bill. I just do not want to fork over more cash than I'm already spending to buy the car on even more fancy-schmancy add-ons that can break and cost even more money. This car already has more than it's fair share of them....

Old 01-30-2012, 02:27 PM
Veteran Member

Rick,

I don't care about the dry-cleaning bill. I just do not want to fork over more cash than I'm already spending to buy the car on even more fancy-schmancy add-ons that can break and cost even more money. This car already has more than it's fair share of them....
Jon,

You could explain to your wife that in the case of "Green Shower of Death", you won't be fixing the top but simply disconnecting the hydraulics and then the top becomes a manual top. I'm not sure how successful this tactic will be though.

Mike

Old 01-30-2012, 03:48 PM
Veteran Member

Mike,

There appear to be a couple of ways to mitigate "the green shower of death". They are discussed and debated in hundreds of posts on the XK8 forum. I've read quite a few of them, but I'll be studying them very closely once the car is actually in our possession....

And speaking of that, I just spoke with the Jaguar dealership in Florida. The car passed their inspection process this afternoon with only a couple of minor concerns. The front shock bushings are beginning to show some mild wear-and-tear, but nothing serious yet. And the rear tires are near their end-of-life (they are Pirellis, so I am not surprised)....

So my wife finally gets her white XK8. The sales transaction should occur in the morning, then it's just a matter of time to transport it from Jacksonville to Raleigh....

Old 01-30-2012, 03:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 505 Likes on 257 Posts

Mike,

There appear to be a couple of ways to mitigate "the green shower of death". They are discussed and debated in hundreds of posts on the XK8 forum. I've read quite a few of them, but I'll be studying them very closely once the car is actually in our possession....

And speaking of that, I just spoke with the Jaguar dealership in Florida. The car passed their inspection process this afternoon with only a couple of minor concerns. The front shock bushings are beginning to show some mild wear-and-tear, but nothing serious yet. And the rear tires are near their end-of-life (they are Pirellis, so I am not surprised)....

So my wife finally gets her white XK8. The sales transaction should occur in the morning, then it's just a matter of time to transport it from Jacksonville to Raleigh....
You didn't tell me about the tires!!! I would have beat him up more on that...

He called me within minutes after you did. So his non-chalant I have to chase him attitude has certainly changed.

I'll call you with details a bit later.

Take care,

George

Old 01-30-2012, 04:01 PM
Veteran Member

George,

No big deal on the tires. I got the scoop on them last week from their sales guys:

Fronts are Michelin Pilot Sport A/S with 9/32 of tread left....

Rears are Pirelli P-Zero Rosso with 5/32 of tread left....

The Jaguar dealership believes that the previous owner kept them at too low a pressure....

I'll pump 'em up, believe me....

Old 01-30-2012, 04:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 505 Likes on 257 Posts

George,

No big deal on the tires. I got the scoop on them last week from their sales guys:

Fronts are Michelin Pilot Sport A/S with 9/32 of tread left....

Rears are Pirelli P-Zero Rosso with 5/32 of tread left....

The Jaguar dealership believes that the previous owner kept them at too low a pressure....

I'll pump 'em up, believe me....
Oh when you said end of life I thought you meant balding. 5/32 is 50% tread. So they could be week old Pirelli's considering their 220 treadwear.

Underinflation will show in the edges being worn with deep tread in the center. Hey worse case consider the cost of the PPI as a tire subsidy

Take care,

George

Old 02-02-2012, 02:26 PM
Veteran Member

Update:

Our XK8 left Jacksonville this morning on a big transport rolling north on I-95 along with a fleet of other auctioned cars. It may show up in our driveway tomorrow. If not, definitely on Saturday....

Many thanks to George for making all of this happen so quickly and painlessly. We're having my wife's homemade pot roast for dinner on Super Bowl Sunday, George, so if you happen to be cruising through North Carolina for some reason, please stop by and chow down with us. I have a feeling she'll be driving all day and into the night on Saturday. Nowhere in particular to go, just driving around with a big ol' grin on her face....

The following users liked this post:
androulakis (02-02-2012)
Old 02-02-2012, 03:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18,481 Likes on 7,450 Posts

I'm sure she'll stop by the house occasionally for a bite to eat and potty break.
Then she'll be out again for who knows how long...
Good luck..

The following users liked this post:
Jon89 (02-02-2012)
Old 02-03-2012, 06:17 AM
Veteran Member

Jon,

Does the term "Jag-Widower" come to mind yet? Between the Jag and the iPad you must be feeling like a bachelor.

Mike

Old 02-03-2012, 08:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Not quite.... he's still getting home cooking!

Old 02-03-2012, 09:16 AM
Veteran Member

Mike,

I love my freedom. I always enjoy my time when she's away on her solo trips to visit her parents in Tampa. There's an old saying that I remember hearing about 15 years ago: "I don't care where my wife goes as long as I don't have to go with her." Don't remember where I heard it, but I've never forgotten it. Of course, I've never quoted it to my wife, either....

Old 02-04-2012, 10:19 AM
Veteran Member

Update:

The XK8 arrived last night after the sun had set so I couldn't get a proper look and feel of the car until daybreak today. Did a very thorough inspection first thing this morning, and the car has been meticulously cared for. Sparkling clean cabin, engine bay, and trunk. No sign of water intrusion anywhere, almost miraculous for a convertible. I have a very short punch list of small repairs to do thus far. My expectations have been exceeded by this vehicle. Thanks again, George....

My wife took off in her new car a couple of hours ago to visit friends and run errands. I'm guessing she'll be back within a week or so....

Quick Reply: Hi Jon, XK8 Update?