Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s-type-s-type-r-supercharged-v8-x200-15/)
-   -   Hidden features that amazed you (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s-type-s-type-r-supercharged-v8-x200-15/hidden-features-amazed-you-33402/)

Pantomath 02-13-2010 08:41 PM

Hidden features that amazed you

anyone come across hidden features that really shocked you?

JOsworth 02-14-2010 07:21 AM

Yea, that oil dumps out of the back of the intake.

Sorry, couldn't resist....

Not exactly a "hidden" feature. I'm suprised at how well DSC works. Many systems are way too intrusive, my cousin's BMW comes to mind. He is always turning his off. I only turn it off in the S when climbing a hill in the snow from a stop.

fergs03R 02-14-2010 09:25 AM

the stereo volume lowering when you slow down and vice versa....cant find out how to override ??

JOsworth 02-14-2010 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by fergs03R (Post 175995)
the stereo volume lowering when you slow down and vice versa....cant find out how to override ??

It's in the audio manual

JagV8 02-14-2010 09:55 AM

It's a setting. Start from - well, depends exactly which dash and options you have. Either it's via MENU or Mode. You're looking for something AVC or some such name. (Am I being vague enough? Sorry!) Mine's on +5 and I wish there were +6 or +7 but it's just about good enough.

Either mess with buttons etc or grab the handbooks and read LOL

Mikey 02-14-2010 09:56 AM

I get a kick out of showing people how the parking brake will auto-release when you touch the gas pedal.

My GF likes the auto-defrost for the front and rear glass.

fergs03R 02-14-2010 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by JOsworth (Post 175999)
It's in the audio manual

found it ......called AVC activated/deactivated through the volume knob

Bull27 02-14-2010 11:37 AM

The upshifting of the zf transmission while slowing down or taking a corner. Who needs a manual transmission!?

KLeC 02-14-2010 11:37 AM

Only had mine a couple of weeks, but just found out about the exterior trunk button. It's so hidden, I jut figured there wasn't one.

RobGardnerBlack 02-14-2010 12:05 PM

All the clever things the ZF box does without you knowing or realising; Adaptive Shift Strategies, Shift Energy Management, Cruise Mode etc…

The real hidden feature is making it last............................

Leedsman 02-14-2010 03:23 PM

Speaking about ZF boxes, anyone had problems subtle or otherwise with these?
Leedsman.

JagV8 02-14-2010 03:52 PM

Do some searches and you'll soon see!

Try things like:
6hp26
transmission
lurch
harsh
lifefluid6

zachster 02-14-2010 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by KLeC (Post 176014)
Only had mine a couple of weeks, but just found out about the exterior trunk button. It's so hidden, I jut figured there wasn't one.

+1 That one surprised me today when I just thought I'd feel to see if the tiny growling jag symbol was plastic or cloisonne (wishful thinking).

zachster 02-14-2010 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by Leedsman (Post 176072)
Speaking about ZF boxes, anyone had problems subtle or otherwise with these?
Leedsman.

I can't speak for their automatics (my 2000 s-type has the Ford tranny), but my Maserati is on the third ZF 5-speed manual transmission in the 11 years I've owned it. I think they are known for being a bit, umm, "finicky."

Jon89 02-15-2010 07:52 AM

Most of the Jaguar techs on this forum seem to believe that the 6-speed ZF is a big improvement over the 5-speed ZF in terms of design, robustness, and longevity. Also, "the lurch" seems to be more of a problem for the 5-speed ZF. Given the significant cost increase of the Shell 1375.4 mineral oil-based transmission fluid used in the 6-speed ZF, it damn sure better be an improvement....

NvmyJag 02-15-2010 09:34 AM

Some may consider it a small thing but you wouldn't believe how many cars don't have TOUCH SCREEN!! I test drove a CLS500 and CLS550 and once I found out that there was no touch screen. I marked it off my list.

Sixx Dogg 02-15-2010 10:48 AM

Good day all!
I was low on fuel....and on my NAV screen it told me where all the gas stations are!!!!! This blew my mind!
2006 s type 3.0
78 000km with total care for 3 years or 140 000

Bull27 02-15-2010 10:50 AM

Couple things that have already been said in previous posts:

1) After using the windshield spray, the blades delay and go one more time to get the excess.

2) Automatic electronic parking brake (even though I had to replace the module already)

3) The wide range of adjustment in the seats, steering wheel, and brake pedal.

4) DSC works suprisingly well in inclement weather. A little too intrusive when flooring it off the line though.

5) Auto setting for the climate control. Will not start blowing warm/or cold air until the car is warmed up. I have seen most other vehicles just start blowing cold air even though its 15 degrees outside and you have the temp on MAX heat.

Features that I thought would be nice but were somewhat of a disappointment:

1) Adaptive headlights...I dont see them move one cm in either direction or up and down. IMHO=useless.
2) Automatic wipers... pretty sure I have them since there is a switch for "auto" but dont seem to work.
3) NAV. Even with the 09 disc it is somewhat disappointing. Should be a charm that sounds when you reach the turn you need to take. All it says now is "turn left soon". Um well there are 3 lefts "SOON" up ahead!
4) Stereo system or lacktherof

JagV8 02-15-2010 11:06 AM

About:
1) don't know (not sure I care LOL - but they seem OK)
2) mine works so maybe yours is broken
3) even the brand leader doesn't work 100% as I found out when a friend demo'ed it (hahahaha) but yeah it's not good enough
4) I must be getting deaf (entirely possible) as mine's fine

Bull27 02-15-2010 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by jagv8 (Post 176339)
about:
1) don't know (not sure I care LOL - but they seem OK)
2) mine works so maybe yours is broken
3) even the brand leader doesn't work 100% as I found out when a friend demo'ed it (hahahaha) but yeah it's not good enough
4) I must be getting deaf (entirely possible) as mine's fine

It is a $60,000 vehicle MSRP. So all of these features YOU are paying for and SHOULD work properly and efficiently.

1) the adaptive headlights are a great idea and feature when your heading down a windy road, however, Jaguar fails.
2) Mine may be broken, but on this one a could give a sh*t, for those who have working automatic wipers, how do they work?
3) all Im asking for is a chime when to actually turn, that too much to ask!?
4) for a (premium), amped, sound system, this also fails. My Bose system in my infinini FX45 was in a COMPLETELY different league, it absolutely blew this system away and I am utterly shocked at how much better it was than the Jag's.