Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hints, tips, and tricks...

Old 09-26-2011, 08:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool thread!

Old 09-26-2011, 08:58 AM
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Changing tires is not fun with the jack supplied. Might be overkill but bought a floor jack with case and have it in the trunk for emergencies. Obviously if not on flat surface a little bit of an issue. I did take a hockey puck, cut it on my table saw to match up where the car jack fit into the body part and use it with the floor jack. The floor jack also works very nicely setting it up just to the inside of the spot where the regular jack would go.

My thought with this is if the wife has flat and cannot get some service help and someone stops to help her (hopefully not a crazy person) I want it to be as easy as possible for them to help her. Even took a pic of the floor jack under the car with it jacked up and put the picture in the kit for direction.

The following users liked this post:
Rpetrin (03-24-2022)
Old 09-26-2011, 06:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

"Powerfold door mirrors, with the rocker switch centered, briefly press the dial switch rearward to fold both mirrors back."

Umm...does this work on all models? I never knew you can auto fold the side mirrors and retract them back to the original position.

Silver Flyer (10-26-2015)
Old 09-26-2011, 06:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

It works with all that have the feature

Any jag dealer can tell you if you have, or just try it.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:27 PM
Received 6,239 Likes on 5,441 Posts

I heard that the US didn't get the powerfold option, does anybody know different?

Old 09-27-2011, 06:03 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Norri
I heard that the US didn't get the powerfold option, does anybody know different?
You are correct... BUUUUTTT... As we've seen on here... As soon as I said that someone will pop up and say their car has it... It is the funny thing about these cars.. Since they have differing content depending on the intended market sometimes a stray car destined for the North America market ends up with some Euro Market content and vice versa.

Now they were available as a dealer installed accessory:

Directly from the Jaguar Accessory Catalog:

POWER FOLDING MIRRORS
Ideal for tight parking spaces or automatic
car washes, driver-operated Power Folding
Mirrors provide peace of mind for the S-TYPE
owner. See your dealer for details. Fits
S-TYPEs from VIN M45255 (up to 2006
model year only).
XR8 35553

Last edited by JOsworth; 09-27-2011 at 06:08 AM.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:47 AM
Received 6,239 Likes on 5,441 Posts

I'll bet somebodys got them.

Maybe Jaguar thought they were needed for situations like this,

but that with parking spaces the size of a small field in the US we wouldn't need them?

Old 09-27-2011, 06:53 AM
Received 161 Likes on 56 Posts

I have another one I stumbled on, but before I add it I was hoping that someone with an electrical schematic, and knows how to read one, and UNDERSTAND what it means (JagV8... help) will chime in to confirm.

But here it is. I read on here that in D/Normal mode when you put your foot down at Highway speeds it'll only downshift 1, or 2 gears. But in D/Sport mode it'll drop down as far as it can to get into the power band 2 or 3 gears. In that same thread several were saying it's true, and several were saying it's not. Well, I did some testing last night, and I think I know why...

The theory...

Under the throttle pedal there is a WOT switch. When pressed I believe it acts as a "kick down cable" of sort for the tranny, i.e. putting it into Sport mode temporarily. But you have to push harder to get the throttle down that last inch or so.

That's why I believe that some say it won’t and some say it will. I say mash it a bit harder next time and see! It worked for me. 4 times I went WOT at speed. The first two I pushed that extra inch, downshifted to about 4300rpms. Took off very nice! The second two I floored it as normal but it only down shifted to about 3500rpms. O.K. acceleration.

Then I dropped it manually, 4300rpms was 3rd. 3500rpms was only 4th. So if that little button under my go peddle is what I think it is, then we have a new one that’s not in the book.

Someone else please check it out and let us know if you have the same results. Someone with schematics, or actual knowledge of what that button is, please chime in. I have not added it to the list yet mainly because I don’t know what it’s called, and what years or options it affects. But I’m pretty sure what it does.

Old 09-27-2011, 07:06 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

great tips.... thanks all

Old 09-27-2011, 08:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 219 Likes on 202 Posts

but that with parking spaces the size of a small field in the US we wouldn't need them?
You should come visit where I live. We have a lot of 2-way streets that are 1.5 lanes wide and they're littered with busted side mirrors. Going down one of those in my tow vehicle (Suburban) with it's Dumbo the elephant sized side mirrors is nerve racking.

They should have made them all electrically folding.

Vistacom1 (09-24-2018)
Old 09-27-2011, 08:57 AM
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Norri,

I know exactly what you mean, Looks like folding wings would be useful as well

Old 09-27-2011, 12:26 PM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by SchultzLD

That's why I believe that some say it won’t and some say it will. I say mash it a bit harder next time and see! It worked for me. 4 times I went WOT at speed. The first two I pushed that extra inch, downshifted to about 4300rpms. Took off very nice! The second two I floored it as normal but it only down shifted to about 3500rpms. O.K. acceleration.
Yup... Mash the pedal into the carpet and it will drop down multiple gears and hold them all the way to the redline.... With or without sport mode engaged...

LOL.. The dealer wouldn't even to it in my car.. It took me driving it to get it to rev enough to trigger the MIL and get my Cat. replaced....

Then again, I had a 3.0 as well...Interested to see if the mapping is different in the 4.2 and 4.2SC.

Old 09-27-2011, 01:18 PM

Now that's funny. I wonder if the tech even knew it go down further? lol But anyways, thx for the input. Now we know 04-05 3.0's have it. I'm still waiting for a STR input as well as a more "technical" term for that WOT, temp-normal mode disengagement, temp-sport mode engagement, kick down button thing. lol

Old 09-27-2011, 02:23 PM
Veteran Member

I live somewhere rather like that

Old 09-27-2011, 02:39 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SchultzLD
I have another one I stumbled on, but before I add it I was hoping that someone with an electrical schematic, and knows how to read one, and UNDERSTAND what it means (JagV8... help) will chime in to confirm.

But here it is. I read on here that in D/Normal mode when you put your foot down at Highway speeds it'll only downshift 1, or 2 gears. But in D/Sport mode it'll drop down as far as it can to get into the power band 2 or 3 gears. In that same thread several were saying it's true, and several were saying it's not. Well, I did some testing last night, and I think I know why...

The theory...

Under the throttle pedal there is a WOT switch. When pressed I believe it acts as a "kick down cable" of sort for the tranny, i.e. putting it into Sport mode temporarily. But you have to push harder to get the throttle down that last inch or so.

Then I dropped it manually, 4300rpms was 3rd. 3500rpms was only 4th. So if that little button under my go peddle is what I think it is, then we have a new one that’s not in the book.

Someone else please check it out and let us know if you have the same results. Someone with schematics, or actual knowledge of what that button is, please chime in. I have not added it to the list yet mainly because I don’t know what it’s called, and what years or options it affects. But I’m pretty sure what it does.
OK..... I'll have a go.

Nowadays cars tend not to have an actual "WOT" (wide open throttle aka kickdown) switch under the throttle pedal. My last car had a dummy thing that gave feedback to the driver (it kind of clicked so you felt it), but no electrical item.

Instead, the PCM notices a sudden shift in throttle pedal. On drive-by-wire like our cars it's an APP (accelerator pedal position) sensor because the TPS (throttle position sensor) is in the engine bay on the actual throttle. In particular, the PCM treats a transition to the max APP to mean you want WOT/kickdown and now. Commonly the ordinary deep APP is say 83% but max APP is (say) 93%. The idle will be (say) 16%. I know, you'd think min/max would be 0/100 but hey. (The PCM actually keeps track of min ever seen and max ever seen internally.)

Carpet under the pedal is a common cause of not getting WOT. It really is!

Oh, another is "I'll break something". Pah.

Now, so far so easy. The PCM and with the redesign autos, i.e. with the ZF, make it a bit complicated.

You really want the manual that xjrguy (Steve) has been known to post parts of

The ZF learns what you usually do. This can be good but can also mean it won't quite do what you may expect (I think never anything terrible, though).

It has multiple modes and behaviours depending on them.

If you mostly drive it like you stole it, you may swear things like "in Sport it won't use 6th till 90mph". Not true if you're someone who normally drives it more sedately.

I think WOT (so, APP at max) mostly overrides this and just heads fast for what PCM+TCM(the ZF part) can do. I think the magic guide Steve has may go into detail.

You can clear the PCM's learning about your driving habits by disconnecting the battery. That does not clear the TCM (the data are known as adaptions). A jag OBD tool can do that or you can just change your habits and it'll get the message bit by bit. I guess if you share driving with someone it'll be a pain!

Sport means it'll hang on to revs much longer than non-Sport. I think it also shifts faster. (Kinda hard to tell in an STR on normal roads.)

The following 4 users liked this post by JagV8:
Rpetrin (03-24-2022), SchultzLD (09-28-2011), Silver Flyer (10-26-2015), Sonspit (07-05-2014)
Old 09-27-2011, 06:09 PM

I can't thank from my phone but WOW. Thx JagV8. Good info. Very technical but very helpful. I am to assume that all the 6 speeds ZF have the APP? And they all do the same thing? Aim for max performance?

Old 09-28-2011, 02:20 AM
Veteran Member

Aha. Here's Steve's post - which has a PDF with more details

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...98/#post322717

The APP sensor is "just" an input to the PCM. That's probably the most powerful (twin-processor) computer in the car - and hooked via the CAN bus to the TCM. They chat all the time.

I expect all but reverse (LOL) and 1st gear can be influenced by sudden APP changes such that kickdown occurs. I'd expect sudden max APP to kickdown as far as PCM+TCM agree is possible to provide max effect. I suppose (by which I mean I'm pretty much certain) PCM+TCM know where the best torque/power places are in order to do what the driver has asked.

edit: the above is for the redesign cars (2003-on in USA/Cdn), i.e. with uprated PCM and ZF autobox. The earlier cars do have a (less powerful) twin-processor PCM but it also handles the autobox. I know less about its shifting behaviours and how it treats max APP

Last edited by JagV8; 09-28-2011 at 02:23 AM.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:40 AM

On post #9 in that link you sent Steve referred to a "kickdown switch" that activates sport mode. From what you posted, and from what Steve has posted on that other thread I get this...

In D/Normal mode if you push the throttle down far enough to press the APP sensor (kickdown switch) the TCM adapts to the sport mode shift logic while that button is pressed.

Am I interpreting this correct? I hope so, because that is very kewl that Jaguar thought of that and installed a (oh-****/Go go go!!!) button. lol

Old 09-28-2011, 08:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

Good info guys!!
.....you can also touch the the negative terminal over to the positive to completely
discharge the capacitors instead of taking it to the jag dealer to reset it.

Old 09-28-2011, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jag79
Good info guys!!
.....you can also touch the the negative terminal over to the positive to completely
discharge the capacitors instead of taking it to the jag dealer to reset it.
NO YOU CAN'T. We're talking about the ZF and that DOES NOT RESET that way.

I keep saying this. I keep saying this. I keep........

You can clear the PCM's learned behaviours, mostly nothing to do with shifts etc, but no need to touch terminals. Don't touch them too soon after disconnection unless you want to risk a disastrous electrical spike.

Last edited by JagV8; 09-28-2011 at 10:51 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JagV8:
Ispizua (02-13-2015), Silver Flyer (10-26-2015)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hints, tips, and tricks...