Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s-type-s-type-r-supercharged-v8-x200-15/)
-   -   how do i get to fuel pump and sender (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s-type-s-type-r-supercharged-v8-x200-15/how-do-i-get-fuel-pump-sender-83615/)

texmanmoore 10-28-2012 12:13 PM

how do i get to fuel pump and sender

do i have to drop the tank, ive read threads that say they are under back seat ? can i acess them by removing back seat , help please.. this is on a 2001 s type , 130,000 miles i just removed the fuel filter , it was nasty , still no fuel , so im sure its the pump, fuse is OK , car has been sitting awhile.. any other advise on changing out is appreciated. thx Scott Moore

Tijoe 10-28-2012 02:17 PM

Remove the back seat cushion. You will see round plastic covers, one on each side of the car. Remove the plastic covers and you will be able see the top of the gas tank level sender/fuel pump modules. If the gas tank is properly aligned to the holes in the body, you will be able to easily remove them. If not, it can be a PITA, and you may have to loosen the gas tank straps from under the car to be able to push the gas tank around some to align the body panel hole to the sensor module. I believe that the passenger side unit has the fuel pump in it.

abonano 10-28-2012 02:53 PM

Scott - you have a fuel pump (passenger side - underneath rear seat cushion) and a transfer pump (driver's side - underneath rear seat cushion) - First things first - ensure the fuel pressure is relieved. (You changed the fuel filter so sounds like this step is covered) remove the rear seat lower cushions.

You will see the blue retaining ring w/ notches in them - (forget the $200 tool to remove them - if you can source one) Take a 2X4 and mallet and GENTLY loosen each retaining ring. (Mark the retaining ring and it's position with the body of the vehicle before removing it. (This will assist when tightening the retaining ring you have tightened it sufficiently - match up the lines and your good)

Have rags available to sop up the fuel.

The fuel and transfer pumps have tangs on their top assemblies - ensure they are properly seated before reinstalling the retaining ring - also, ensure you use new retaining ring O-Ring gaskets (green) for each sender as well.

When removing the fuel lines - ensure you depress both tangs and pull the fuel line straight up (no twisting) - red connectors are easily workable - white connectors are a PITA.

If interested, I have both the fuel pump and transfer pump available for sale and ready to install.

Good Luck.

joycesjag 10-28-2012 07:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
To coin an older post, JOsworths buddy posted this picture as "double holer", this is how you access the pump. For you newbies YES there is a huge story that goes with this.

Note capet and interior removal optional!

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...9&d=1351469543

texmanmoore 10-28-2012 07:47 PM

thank you , i got both out today ..

indyjagdude 02-02-2014 08:10 AM

Need help!

While pulling out the white line the push buttons cracked and the inner red gasket broke apart. Do you have these parts or know where I can get them? This is my first time attempting to change a fuel pump. I've got the blue flange ring removed no problem. Thanks.

Originally Posted by Tijoe (Post 609753)
Remove the back seat cushion. You will see round plastic covers, one on each side of the car. Remove the plastic covers and you will be able see the top of the gas tank level sender/fuel pump modules. If the gas tank is properly aligned to the holes in the body, you will be able to easily remove them. If not, it can be a PITA, and you may have to loosen the gas tank straps from under the car to be able to push the gas tank around some to align the body panel hole to the sensor module. I believe that the passenger side unit has the fuel pump in it.

abonano 02-02-2014 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by indyjagdude (Post 902597)
While pulling out the white line the push buttons cracked and the inner red gasket broke apart. Do you have these parts or know where I can get them? This is my first time attempting to change a fuel pump. I've got the blue flange ring removed no problem. Thanks.

those parts are not sold separately. If your replacing the assembly / then this should not be an issue (unless the line is still stuck in the old assembly)

indyjagdude 02-03-2014 06:07 PM

Unfortunately I'm not replacing the assembly just the fuel pump. However I did find a used assembly for a 2002 Lincoln LS on Ebay. It looks the same as the Jag S-type. How important is the little red gasket for pressure seal? and are the red/white push button important to have installed or can I just leave it off?

Originally Posted by abonano (Post 902629)
those parts are not sold separately. If your replacing the assembly / then this should not be an issue (unless the line is still stuck in the old assembly)