Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to Repair Vanity Mirror Flap Hinge

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 10:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to Repair Vanity Mirror Flap Hinge

Hello,
I just got a 2003 S-type that is in excellent condition, except that the flap on the passenger side sun visor vanity mirror had the hinge pin broken off. Of course they don't sell just the flap or mirror. I ordered a visor from the junk yard but broke the hinge on that one getting it off (the visor wasn't as good as mine). Tried gluing the plastic pin back on but it fell right off again with use.

I did a google search and found that people with every car have this problem, Jag, Mercedes, Lexus, you name it. One way to fix it, I read was to drill a hole and put a metal pin in, but I don't have a drill press and I couldn't imagine using a hand drill to drill on that narrow surface.

Then I remembered that I had bought a little jewelers hand drill, for bead making, I think, for $3 at the traveling Gem show. It worked out great.

I got a 5/64" drill and a dowl pin from the hardware store that seems to be 6/64ths. I also had a 6/64" drill.
Procedure:
1. Heat the tip of a Push Pin or other sharp object and stick it into the plastic to starting point for the drill. You may have to file the area flat first.

2. Use the hand drill and the 5/64" drill bit to drill through the plastic hinge support and out the other side. It took me a 1/2 hour at the kitchen table, being careful to get it straight. Go slowly.

3. Test the pin. If the hole is too tight, enlarge it with a 6/64" drill. I had to.

4. Gently work the pin into the hole. Don't force it or the plastic will break. It is probably brittle by now or the hinge would be intact.

5. I am going to install mine tomorrow, and when I am satisfied, put some epoxy glue on the inside edge of the pin, to the plastic to hold it in place, although it is pretty tight already.

There is a trick to getting the flap back in. I practiced with the broken one from the junk yard. Insert the lever at the center first, that pushes on the light switch, and then use that as an anchor point to gently bend the flap and insert the remaining plastic hinge into its hole, pushing in the spring clip, all very carefully and with control. (Don't do this after a night of drinking, you have to be clear and controlled.) The plastic hinge is the most likely to break, and it is not very strong.

Once that is in, reverse the pressure and gently bend the other half of the flap enough to get the pin in on that side. The hinge support seems to be strong enough to push in the spring clips. But be careful that the pin isn't doing the work, or hitting the side of the frame.

I successfully installed mine this evening, but the glued plastic hinge broke off the second time I opened it, so I just redid it with the steel pin. I will copy a picture into the next post. It seems to overwrite my typing.
Larry

Old 09-16-2011, 10:40 PM

It wouldn't let me post the picture. Something to do with a score. Well it's your loss, seems silly to me. I can't view pictures either. Who does that serve?

Old 09-17-2011, 01:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

The newbie stuff tells you. It's to keep spammers out.

The following users liked this post:
bjrdunn (09-22-2017)
Old 09-17-2011, 11:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,274 Likes on 2,811 Posts

I've replaced broken plastic pins with homemade metal pins on several vanity mirrors over the years, including our current S-Type. Epoxy has always done a good job holding them in place, but the most important trick is to keep the hole as small-diametered as possible to guarantee a tight fit around the new metal pin. Make the metal pin longer than you think it needs to be to help distribute the load inside the visor flap. It also helps tremendously if you have a wife/girlfriend who doesn't use that mirror more than 25 times per car trip....

Old 09-17-2011, 12:03 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Fellas!!...
Over on the XK8 side of the forum...type in "Visor Mirror Repair (Video)" (or for that matter, type it in on this site) and they have video's to show the repair. I used it when I had an XK8, and had to do both of mine.

DRive On!!...

Fast Freddie

The following 3 users liked this post by hafferf:
JimC64 (02-21-2012), N8mobiles (02-21-2012), the beagle (02-21-2012)
Old 09-17-2011, 05:46 PM
Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Mine was busted on one side when I got it too, we just open and close it very carefully-- it stays on fine.

Old 09-18-2011, 10:55 AM
Default video

Thanks for telling me about the video on the XK8 forum. I haven't had the spring clip problem yet, but now I won't be affraid to fix it when I do. I wondered how I would get the mirror out of the visor.

In my case, one of the hinge pins was broken. I went to install it in the car yesterday and my pin stuck out too far, so I had to adjust that. Plan on installing it today.

Larry

Old 09-23-2011, 09:19 PM
Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

Sooooooo Jag does not sell the flap seperately? Go F'n figure. It seems like everytime my wife drives the R something freaking happens. Got in the car today with her, and the vanity mirror flap was resting in the cup holders. My voice would have raised a little bit louder if the baby wasnt in the car. Regardless, The plastic knob/pin is missing, cant find it to try an epoxy, and I highly doubt I can fix this thing with my skills by drilling and inserting a metal pin.

Anyone have any clue where JUST to buy the flap? Also, what activates and deactivates the vanity light? I stuck one side in, and it will work if you use it gently but the light doesnt go on or off. Thanks ya'll

Old 09-23-2011, 11:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Nah....Bull...you can DO it!!!

a li'l help from the XK brethren:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...r-video-39159/

second video shows what activates the light. I've gotta tackle it next time my daughter comes home from school....

The following 2 users liked this post by aholbro1:
N8mobiles (02-21-2012), the beagle (02-21-2012)
Old 09-23-2011, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by aholbro1
Nah....Bull...you can DO it!!!

a li'l help from the XK brethren:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...r-video-39159/

second video shows what activates the light. I've gotta tackle it next time my daughter comes home from school....

Haha thanks man, between a screw in the visor and the screw in the upcomig repair of the drooping headlight, I feel like this thing is falling apart! I think I may just let it flop around until I can find a replacement, I personally dont think I have opened it to look at the mirror more than 3 times since i've owned the vehicle but I'm **** and dont like this kind of crap. Not that anyone would ever notice, but I know its messed up and it bothers me. Thanks for the vid, appreciate it.

Old 09-24-2011, 01:57 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I fixed mine with metal pin & hand drill as well. But I don't understand why this broke off this easy. uhmmm...

Old 09-24-2011, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by ndy4eva
I fixed mine with metal pin & hand drill as well. But I don't understand why this broke off this easy. uhmmm...
I dont "understand" either, only my wife does and she said it happened when she flipped it up.

Where would one purchase such a metal pin?

Old 09-24-2011, 08:42 AM
Veteran Member

I typically make my own metal pins for a repair such as this one. You can use a small finishing nail. Just pick the correct diameter using the hole location in the flap, cut the head off with some wirecutters or a hacksaw, and you're set. It's a very easy fix. As Zane said, you can do it....

Old 09-24-2011, 12:04 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I used a small nail and cut off top and bottom.
Mine was broken when i wasn't there. My wife said that it when she flipped open. Uhmmm is it a wife thingie?????

Old 09-24-2011, 01:29 PM
Veteran Member

You bet it's a wife/girlfriend thing. They use these mirrors all the time. Us men never do....

Old 09-24-2011, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by ndy4eva
I used a small nail and cut off top and bottom.
Mine was broken when i wasn't there. My wife said that it when she flipped open. Uhmmm is it a wife thingie?????
Abso-freaking-lutely its a wife thing. I saw it laying there on the cup holder and was just like "really??". "You seriously ripped this thing off in the combined 10 minutes you were driving the vehicle!" Chalk up another random thing broken while she had possession of it.

So I need some kind of hand drill so I can set this nail in place correct? Definitely won't be doing it with a power drill. Does anyone know the diameter specific type of hand drill they used? I'm not the best at delicate repairs, patience is a virtue that I seem to be missing.

Old 09-24-2011, 05:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon89
You bet it's a wife/girlfriend thing. They use these mirrors all the time. Us men never do....
Jon, don't let 'em both in the car at the same time!!! It's easier on your mirrors and other things that way....

(Probably best they don't even know about each other...but whatever works best..to each his own)

Stip3 (12-04-2021)
Old 09-25-2011, 09:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Bull send me the visor NDA if you wish and I will repair it for you if you don't feel comfortable.

PM me if interested.

Bull27 (09-25-2011)
Old 09-25-2011, 10:09 AM
Veteran Member

Good advice, Zane....

I learned decades ago to keep them completely separate at all times....

Old 09-25-2011, 10:39 AM

I think I posted the drill size. Of course it depends on the pin size. I got my pin, called a metal dowel I think at the hardware store in one of those Sharon sets of hardware they have in the west, maybe east too. I had a jewelers hand held drill handle that looks like an awl with a chuck.

Quick Reply: How to Repair Vanity Mirror Flap Hinge