Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s-type-s-type-r-supercharged-v8-x200-15/)
-   -   How to: replace engine oil pan gasket? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s-type-s-type-r-supercharged-v8-x200-15/how-replace-engine-oil-pan-gasket-42346/)

agapejaguar 09-18-2010 02:03 AM

How to: replace engine oil pan gasket?

Does anyone have a write up (DIY or "how to") to drop the engine oil pan? From what I have heard, it's real PITA to drop the oil pan on 3.0L engines.

joycesjag 09-18-2010 07:40 AM

No its not a PITA! I did it. I can tell you how to do the procedure but if I were you I would spend the $25.00 on www.alldatadiy.com or get the JTIS off ebay for about $10.00. The reason is I can't remember every tiny step and all the torques. It will take you about 3 hours from start to finish if you are doing the job on your back. Also I would raise the motor instead of lowering the under carriage. You can check out Auto Zones website for free advise on the procedure as well.

No more free DIY at www.autozone.com I just tried to find the repair procedure but alas they now partnered up with alldata and want you to purchase a subscribtion. BUMMER

agapejaguar 09-20-2010 08:41 PM

I just looked at it and there are som many attached to the oil pan..

Looks like there are distributor and alternator attached on the both side and there is a cross member across...also the end is attached to the transmission pan..

Do I have to remove all those to drop the oil pan?

joycesjag 09-21-2010 05:53 AM

In short, the AC compressor gets unbolted, the alternator gets unbolted, the rack and pinion gets lowered, then you either lower the sub frame, or remove the cross bar on top and raise the motor. Do yourself a favor get the JTIS or alldatadiy.

agapejaguar 09-21-2010 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by joycesjag (Post 246794)
In short, the AC compressor gets unbolted, the alternator gets unbolted, the rack and pinion gets lowered, then you either lower the sub frame, or remove the cross bar on top and raise the motor. Do yourself a favor get the JTIS or alldatadiy.

How do you lower the rack and pinion?
I already got JTIS but it looks simpler than it should be..

joycesjag 09-21-2010 08:22 PM

A couple of bolts. It (meaning the whole pan gasket replacement) is a pretty simple procedure if you follow JTIS or alldatadiy step by step.

agapejaguar 09-22-2010 02:21 AM

I just gave up..removed everything but couldn't lower the subframe enough to get the pan out...one of the bolts holding the subframe was just spinning

joycesjag 09-22-2010 05:58 AM

Don't give up. I assume you put the other 3 bolts back in. Now remove the plastic wiper cowl, remove the 4 cross bar bolts (see FAQ section IMT Oring short route) remove cross bar, unbolt the 2 motor mount bolts underneath and jack the engine up. You now will have plenty of room to remove the oil pan.