Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s-type-s-type-r-supercharged-v8-x200-15/)
-   -   I need struts, or is it shocks? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s-type-s-type-r-supercharged-v8-x200-15/i-need-struts-shocks-194742/)

LaGrasta 01-04-2018 05:41 PM

I need struts, or is it shocks?

We recently picked up a 2003 S Type, 128k. The original shocks are shot, not leaking, but bouncing. Are these shocks or struts and what's involved for a DIY?

NBCat 01-04-2018 06:51 PM

They are referred to as 'shock absorbers' by JLR and are available in CATS and non-adaptive versions that are also VIN-specific.

Use the search function on this forum as this topic has been discussed several times.

Busa 01-05-2018 03:58 AM

For the sake of spending a few extra quid or dollars, consider replacing the front springs at the same time. Bilstein shocks for mine are about £100 each and then say another £25 each side for new springs. The front end on mine makes contact with the road far too easily.

Ducmon 01-05-2018 09:21 AM

If you go to jagrepair.com you can get a copy of the workshop manual. Then you will able to see how much work is involved. Make sure that you get the correct ones as they changed the suspension with the first facelift.

Here in Germany they sold me the earlier version because they don't know these cars and it took me a long time to find the correct ones.
When you have CATS fitted then you have to use Billsteins but when it they not fitted then you can find cheaper ones. I used Sachs super sports which were a third of the price of the Billsteins.

LaGrasta 01-05-2018 10:41 AM

Thank you everyone, very useful information. I'm glad to hear they are shocks, not struts; so much easier to swap.

NBCat 01-05-2018 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by LaGrasta (Post 1820001)
Thank you everyone, very useful information. I'm glad to hear they are shocks, not struts; so much easier to swap.

The spring is mounted to the shock absorber, so replacement is very similar to that for a MacPherson strut.

Review the procedure in the Workshop Manual and use the correct tools to avoid damage and injury.

LaGrasta 01-12-2018 02:52 PM

I think I might buy new shocks, remove the old ones, then take the whole mess to a shop to swap the springs for me.

LaGrasta 01-16-2018 05:42 PM

JBzXJ40 01-16-2018 07:08 PM

Just make sure you get the correct ones - as NB said, some have CATS system, some don't.

You'll need a spring compressor to change these, otherwise you can take them out, take them somewhere to have someone swap the shocks for you.

As for removing from vehicle - fronts are fairly easy. Also on the front, check the upper shock mount, as these break and cause knocking noise. Rear, you'll need to remove the side trim on both sides of trunk to gain access to the nuts.

LaGrasta 01-17-2018 12:32 PM

JBzxj40, Please see my post #8? Correct?.

Monroe 71367 & 71366

Busa 01-18-2018 08:43 AM

Its not clear in the thread if its front and rear shocks or both?
Please excuse me if I missed something?

Front and rear are two different shocks.
The best way to establish if any part will fit your car is by using the last 6 digits of the cars VIN number.
I don't know if they are called a VIN in the US? But in England its a VIN and is used by the main dealers to tell them exactly what parts are fitted on your car.
Most independent car parts sellers will use the same VIN number to make sure you get the right part.
TBH I would be extremely cautious about buying any part if its not been verified using the cars VIN.

Ducmon 01-18-2018 09:41 AM

I would have a quick look under your car because I have a 2003 and those will not fit mine. I don't have the round eye, but a U shaped form
​​​ I had the same problem when I went to change mine. I used Sachs 311 535 for The front but they are without CATS.

The front suspension changed with the first facelift 2002.5

NBCat 01-18-2018 11:51 AM

Busa, yes the Americans call it a VIN as well.

It's unclear whether or not the vehicle has CATS, which means the 'shock absorbers' are different. The VIN will determine the appropriate parts and should always be given to the dealer whilst ordering parts.

Busa 01-18-2018 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by NBCat (Post 1827420)
Busa, yes the Americans call it a VIN as well.

It's unclear whether or not the vehicle has CATS, which means the 'shock absorbers' are different. The VIN will determine the appropriate parts and should always be given to the dealer whilst ordering parts.

Thanks NBCat, yes I am very aware ;) as I've just replaced my rear shocks and other suspension parts. With the rear shocks there are three or maybe 4 different ranges of VIN numbers for one model dependent on the age of car which have slightly different shocks or any other parts for each VIN range group.
I hope that makes sense?

Ducmon 01-18-2018 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Busa (Post 1827502)
Thanks NBCat, yes I am very aware ;) as I've just replaced my rear shocks and other suspension parts. With the rear shocks there are three or maybe 4 different ranges of VIN numbers for one model dependent on the age of car which have slightly different shocks or any other parts for each VIN range group.
I hope that makes sense?

Have you downloaded a copy of the epc (electronic parts catalogue) it is available on this forum. This is very good in helping you find the correct part
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s-type-s-type-r-supercharged-v8-x200-15/full-jaguar-epc-download-merry-belated-xmas-48052/

Busa 01-18-2018 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Ducmon (Post 1827511)
Have you downloaded a copy of the epc (electronic parts catalogue) it is available on this forum. This is very good in helping you find the correct part
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ed-xmas-48052/

I haven't downloaded that yet, but I will certainly try it later,

The occasional problem I've found is whether the parts suppliers online know if the parts will fit mine. The majority of good parts companies use the VIN numbers to check if their parts will fit mine, I just supply my VIN to them.
If I am not happy in any way that I will be getting the right part I don't buy it.
We've all been there with nuts and bolts and car bits all over the concrete floor, grime up to your elbows and the new part isn't the right one. :icon_lol: So I learned a long time ago to void it.

I had a seller on ebay this week with a new lower rear suspension arm at a very good price but he was open enough to tell me it wasn't the right part number for for my car but he knows other buyers have fitted it successfully using some packing washers. Fair play to the guy, he was being totally honest with me.
But I said no thanks not because I didn't believe him but because I want the right parts. I want to be confident when I drive the car and when my partner drives the car and to know its AOK. I am exactly the same with motorbikes if not more so, I want that confidence to know any work done is spot on. Its our health and safety.

Ducmon 01-19-2018 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by Busa (Post 1827564)
I haven't downloaded that yet, but I will certainly try it later,

The occasional problem I've found is whether the parts suppliers online know if the parts will fit mine. The majority of good parts companies use the VIN numbers to check if their parts will fit mine, I just supply my VIN to them.
If I am not happy in any way that I will be getting the right part I don't buy it.
We've all been there with nuts and bolts and car bits all over the concrete floor, grime up to your elbows and the new part isn't the right one. :icon_lol: So I learned a long time ago to void it.

I had a seller on ebay this week with a new lower rear suspension arm at a very good price but he was open enough to tell me it wasn't the right part number for for my car but he knows other buyers have fitted it successfully using some packing washers. Fair play to the guy, he was being totally honest with me.
But I said no thanks not because I didn't believe him but because I want the right parts. I want to be confident when I drive the car and when my partner drives the car and to know its AOK. I am exactly the same with motorbikes if not more so, I want that confidence to know any work done is spot on. Its our health and safety.

I am totally in agreement with you when it goes to fitting the correct parts. Just to save a few pennies it is not worth the risk. I don't know how I would live if something happened to my family or somebody else.

The epc will help you find the correct piece as it was the dealer programme. I just go to another firm such as SNG Barret to check the part number because over time new parts are now used which are supposed to be better.

Then I look on the internet to compare prices.

dauraf 11-13-2019 12:10 AM

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...66401763fc.jpg
without CAT
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...d4ccd539db.jpg
without CAT
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...f96ced7ede.jpg
with CAT
Is it possible to replace CAT shocks set with the non-CAT set, all are the same size or different? Same coils? I can unplug the CAT controller but don't know if can reuse the coils and strut mounts (since they are in perfect shape) Cant see the difference from the online pictures, all looks similar