Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s-type-s-type-r-supercharged-v8-x200-15/)
-   -   just bought '03 STR. Now what? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s-type-s-type-r-supercharged-v8-x200-15/just-bought-03-str-now-what-82048/)

McJaguar 10-04-2012 07:21 PM

just bought '03 STR. Now what?

Hey y'all!
So, I did it! I bought a 2003 STR. overnight-ed the check today. Transport co should pickup the car this weekend. I'll have it by next weekend. I'm stoked!

So I'm surfing abit.... but teach me some stuff?
I'm reading that the '03 suffered from some quirky shifting in the ZF box, and that it wants to short-shift all the time. Is this true, and is there a cure?

I've seen vague references on the forum about Jaguar screwing-up the alignment specs for these cars. True? Does somebody have the values I SHOULD use?

Anybody got a Qwiketz elbow they wanna sell? I'd LOVE to enhance the blower whine sound... and wouldn;t mind a few extra get-up-n-go's as well.

What else do I need to know?
Any chip upgrades? other??

I plan to immediately replace all filters, fluids and belts on the car. Then I'll go through and check bushings, ball-joints, etc etc etc.... what else should I look to freshen-up?

Should I reset the computer, since I'm bringing it from near sea-level to almost 4k' in altitude?

Blaq Cat 10-04-2012 07:51 PM

Congrats on your new R. I'm sure it'll give you tons of pleasure on the road, I know mine does :icon_lol:. As for the gear box the lurch issue was common in th 2003 model from what i've experenced but I beleive some of those issues have carried on to later years as well. My 2007 use to short shift some times in the lower 3 gears, from a stop and go my car would lurch when taking off but has been pretty much cured after I had the TCM adaptation memory cleared just recently. Any ways it's a great car it's comfortable and fun to drive I love the very low quiet rumble note of the engine under normal driving conditions just wish my supercharger whine was noticable in the cabin.

Norri 10-04-2012 08:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Congratulations on the new car!
I'm sure the R guys will be along to give advice soon.
The alignment specs are in the How To section, it's worth taking a look in there but here they are.

Ingo 10-04-2012 09:12 PM

Congrats on the purchase, i too have an 03 STR. As far as lurching, short shifting etc, it has happened to me only a handful of times. Ive owned mine for 4 months now. I drive it everyday for at least an hour and its rarely happened. When it does it does so on shifting from 1st to 2nd. And as far as i can remember it happens when i accelerate a bit from idle speed to 10-20 mph then for one reason or another i step off the gas pedal and quickly come back to it and right when i do a few times it has lurched on me. I guess it depends on the car, how its been used etc. In my experience its happened rarely and so rarely that the few times it did happen it surprised me everytime lol. As far as upgrades I recommend the Mina Gallery S-Type R exhaust. In my opinion its a much better look then the stock ones and actualy (according to Mina) adds 10-12 hp to the wheels. The sound is also suttle but resonates nicely when you decide to unleash that supercharged V8. As youve mentioned, upgrading the air intake helps a bunch too.

JagV8 10-05-2012 02:21 AM

Leave it stock till you get to know what it behaves like and when. No need to reset anything as it will relearn. If you have "the lurch" (which you may not, and anyway there are several types), just get a jag dealer to clear the adaptions and reflash (puts in new software). It's probably already been done. Check tyres especially fronts and their inner hard to see areas. If OK, alignment is likely OK too.

Have fun and beware speeding tickets!

bfsgross 10-05-2012 06:34 AM

Bravo Mcjaguar! You pulled the trigger and now have a very sweet and powerful ride. Do as jagv8 suggests...don't do anything till change fluids, filters, etc. and observe characteristics, then we'll all talk about logical steps in performing mods. In the meantime pick up a flat panel K&N airfilter ($44) to fit in the stock airbox and contact kwiketz for a ($200) intake elbow (together worth 15 chp). Use the forum search feature to pull up topics.

abonano 10-05-2012 07:18 AM

McJaguar - congrats! Looks like you purchased this vehicle remotely - hopefully, you had someone check out this car from top to bottom so you have no "surprises" upon delivery... good advice provided above... good luck!

Michael Star 10-05-2012 07:33 AM

Rule #1 here

-If you create a post telling us about your car, you have to include pics of said car.

Also, good luck trying to find an intake elbow. Those that have them I don't think they will be parting with them anytime soon :)

The Chris X 10-05-2012 07:52 AM

Congrat's on your purchase! Welcome to the 03 STR gang and the STR gang in general. JagV8's advice is spot on as usual. Drive it, get used to it, get a feel for the overall condition and behavior, drive it more and harder, then decide what, if anything, you might want to do to it. These things are pretty slick right out of the box.

I haven't had much in the way of the lurnch symptoms in my 03. It's non-issue really, don't sweat it unless it pops up consistently.

And Michael is right, need some pics!!

Under Pressure 10-06-2012 11:21 AM

I too have an 03 STR and never, ever had the "lurch" shift issue. For performance enhancements, I have done the smaller kompressor pulley, intake elbow, K&N panel filter in stock air box, magnaflow high flow cats, and magnaflow resonated x-pipes.

I love the results of my mods, but if I had to do it over again I would have skipped the Magnaflow cats and x-pipe and would have just went with a Mina Gallery axle-back Exhaust system (assuming they bolt on, not cut and weld on) as well as either new OEM cats or having my OEM cats hollowed out. The chopping and welding work done on my car's exhaust led to some leak issues that forced me to take my car back twice so far to mend, and I think a third leak is already starting. There was also the issue with check engine lights that O2 sensor extenders ultimately resolved. From my understanding, O2 sensor extenders could even resolve check engine light issues if you just hollowed out the OEM cats and that would be no restriction at all (but you wouldnt pass exhaust test if your state mandates same). I guess my regret was doing chopping/welding work on my exhaust. In the future, I will go back to straigh bolt on exhaust parts like I did for my old WRX.

McJaguar 10-06-2012 03:43 PM

somebody on another enthusiast forum that I'm on (not Jaguar) is suggesting that these cars have a problem with the fuel pump.... is that correct?

Docuzzie 10-06-2012 07:40 PM

Contrats!!!!!!

Now what you ask??? I say, "Life Begins".....

Enjoy!!!!

Norri 10-06-2012 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by McJaguar (Post 595094)
somebody on another enthusiast forum that I'm on (not Jaguar) is suggesting that these cars have a problem with the fuel pump.... is that correct?

They can, so can BMWs, Mercs, Rolls, Lamborghini etc etc.

Relax and enjoy the car.

Michael Star 10-06-2012 10:21 PM

That is one of the things I haven't heard about these cars

McJaguar 10-07-2012 12:14 AM

thanks everyone, for posting-up!
All very good advice. And I'll take it! (truth: it's all the excuse I needed to leave it alone for now, while I work on some other projects)

Here's a couple pics. I'll get more as I go.

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/e...s/jagfrqtr.jpg
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/e...cars/jagls.jpg
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/e...ars/jagint.jpg
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/e...s/jagmotor.jpg

03Jagg 10-07-2012 12:45 AM

Looks good.

clubairth1 10-07-2012 09:01 AM

Don't remove or hollow out the cats. No need and then the car won't pass emissions.

I have the MINA exhaust on my 2005 STR and it's very expensive for what you get. I like that it's all polished stainless steel but it is just a set of mufflers (or more properly rear boxes) and it's under the car. Yes they fit without cutting or welding and the tips DO look ten times better than stock. But at almost $1000 for a pair of mufflers consider getting just the tips changed out.

Someone got your strut tower covers! The 2003 STR is the only year that had them. I added them to my 2005 just to help clean up the under hood area.

What's the big red sticker on the strut tower brace say?

Work on getting all the maintenance done.

Change transmission fluid/pan/filter/sleeve and pan bolts. Don't forget flashing of the TCM. This will help with the "Lurch" and the short shifting problem which is worse on the early STR's like you have.

Check and/or replace DCCV. Change anti-freeze and use the proper Dex-cool fluid. Be sure and flush the heater core separately to make sure the core is clean. Maybe change the thermostat too? Remember the top tank is fragile and a known problem.

Check HID lights and maybe apply screw fix if not auto leveling properly.

Flush brake fluid and determine if you need pads. Use the Akebono ceramic pads.

Change all other filters and fluids. Gas filter, Cabin filter. Air filter and do not damage the air box. I remove the entire intake assembly which is very easy. Then I can clean the air box out and properly install the new filter. Be careful of the electric flap on the air box and don't forget to unplug it.

I am picky and have changed the rear end fluid and the super charger fluid. Change both belts. Maybe spark plugs but check if any oil is in the plug wells as that would indicate you need cam cover gaskets/plug well gaskets.

Forget the fuel pump it's not a common problem. Thankfully as the STR uses two unique pumps and they are about $950 each from Jaguar!!!

abonano 10-07-2012 09:20 AM

Nice Ride McJaguar! - Let me add to my earlier comment - if you purchased from a dealer - you should be rock solid as far as reliability and if an issue comes up - they should do right by you - not the same if you purchased from a private seller... that's what I meant about "surprises" you don't want to be the recipient of - enjoy your ride!!!

bfsgross 10-07-2012 09:24 AM

Mcjaguar, Nice! And except for your chromed wheels, we have twin STR's. Did you know that she's been lowered? Get underneath her and read the manufacurer of the springs (H&R Sport, Arden, or Mina). Also check the supercharger pulley...Should be greyish/steel. If it's black then its either the 1.5 or 3 lb pulley upgrade.

xamyel 10-08-2012 04:07 PM

Drive it like you stole it, it is an S-Type after all! Just keep up on the maintenance. And make sure your transmission cooling lines don't leak. Keep an eye on them at every oil change!