Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s-type-s-type-r-supercharged-v8-x200-15/)
-   -   Left front turn signal? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s-type-s-type-r-supercharged-v8-x200-15/left-front-turn-signal-173016/)

beleive 11-26-2016 01:19 PM

Left front turn signal?

I have a 2004 S typer Jag V-8. The left front turn signal will not work as well as the fender marker. I have put a new light socket on it and bulbs. I even moved the right to the left to see if it would work with no results. I got the test light out today and seems to be not power to the socket so traced the wire to next plug with no power. The rear one works. I also checked fuses that are under the hood all is fine. They care has always been like this my buddy mechanic moved and I need to get it safty inspected. I hope you can help. I do have a 2000 S type I use for parts. Anyway thanks in advance. Its appreciated.

kr98664 11-26-2016 02:54 PM

Here's your wiring diagram:

http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Auto...x2062004en.pdf

Scroll down to section 8.1. The nomenclature get a bit confusing, but your lights are in the upper right corner of that diagram.

Battery power comes in from the right side of the diagram. You should be able to read constant battery voltage at one of the terminals at each bulb. I'd have to follow the diagram to be sure, but I think the ignition switch has to be on for voltage to be present.

With constant power present, the on/off function of each bulb is controlled by the switched ground supplied through the General Electronic Control Module.

beleive 11-26-2016 03:28 PM

stil no progress

I was checking it with the car running. The using the rght directional which works as a example. It has power flashing on and off. So went to the left side and checked al the wires with no luck. I will look the diagram over and see if I can figure it out. I read somewhere that the dirctional could be bad in the steering wheel but I would think that the back one wouldnt work if that was true?

kr98664 11-26-2016 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by beleive (Post 1575335)
I read somewhere that the dirctional could be bad in the steering wheel but I would think that the back one wouldnt work if that was true?

The way I read it, the turn signal switch turns on the front and rear together, so I don't think the switch is at fault.

What happens when you turn on the 4-way hazards? That should help isolate the fault as it turns on the same bulbs.

beleive 11-26-2016 04:19 PM

I went and checked the flashers. They all work except the left front. I also tried the parking lights with same results. I turned the day running headlights on and noticed that the left front doesnt work either. I tried to remove it to check the bulb with no luck. I also removed the fender marker (left) checked (with car running) found no power there either. I hope this info helps. Thanks.

beleive 11-26-2016 04:58 PM

forgot something else. I do get "Left Front Turn Failure" on instrument panel.

kr98664 11-26-2016 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by beleive (Post 1575388)
forgot something else. I do get "Left Front Turn Failure" on instrument panel.

Thanks, you read my mind. I was going to ask if you had any failure messages. Unfortunately, I don't know exactly what logic is used to determine a bulb failure. The GECM probably monitors for battery voltage available through the bulb filament, but that's only a guess on my part. It's probably safe to say a loss of continuity through the filament (or rest of the circuit) is enough to trip the message.

Have you tried swapping a known good bulb from the right side into the left? One hunch is a problem with your new bulb.

Did I understand correctly in a previous reply that you're not seeing voltage available at the inop bulb? If so, you've got a supply side issue, not a ground switching issue. Can you compare with the known good right side to confirm this?

How many bulbs are present at the front on each side? The way I read the wiring diagram, there are four on each side:

2 bulbs side by side in the "headlamp unit". Forward facing?

A 3rd bulb by itself in the "headlamp unit". On the side?

A 4th bulb by itself in the "turn repeater". A separate unit on the fender?

If you've got 4 bulbs, do all of them work on the right side?

Do any of them work on the left side?

Have you tried removing all 4 bulbs on the left side and only plugging them in one at a time?

Do you like gladiator movies?

beleive 11-26-2016 07:45 PM

I've moved the bulbs that were on the right side that I know are good to the left side. With no luck. I used a test light to see of I had power to the left side using the right as an example. No power. THANKS

kr98664 11-26-2016 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by beleive (Post 1575471)
I've moved the bulbs that were on the right side that I know are good to the left side. With no luck. I used a test light to see of I had power to the left side using the right as an example. No power. THANKS

Groovy, we're making some progress if you've confirmed no power reaching the left side. Also, we're measuring correctly if you tested the same way and had power on the right.

What about the number of bulbs per side, and their location? Before I suggest checking a specific fuse or whatever, we need to make sure which of the four (?) bulbs we are discussing. See my previous post (#7) for what I think are the locations, based on the description in the wiring diagram. Also, if there are four bulbs per side, please confirm all four are working on the right. This will help with troubleshooting.

Can anybody else confirm four bulbs per side for the front turn signals on a 2003+ car? The earlier models only have two bulbs per side in the front, per the wiring diagram.

beleive 11-26-2016 09:03 PM

Ok. JUST verified that all light work on right side. ON the left side only low beam headlights and high beam headlights work. The jag has light in the front fender works with the directional. Then a light in bumper works with parking lights. Then have a real small light beside the front directional it's white and real small I believe it's a day running light. The one on drivers side does not work. Then I have the front directional which drivers doesn't work. Then low beam headlight which all work. Then high beam lights all work. I hope this isn't confusing. If so just tell me I'll change it up. Thanks for help. I really appreciate it.

kr98664 11-26-2016 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by beleive (Post 1575471)
I used a test light to see of I had power to the left side using the right as an example. No power.

One more thing. I want to make sure I understood you correctly, and visa versa.

For the moment, I'm only concerned if each of the bulbs has power present at one terminal. This is the constant battery power discussed earlier. Just leave the turn signal switch in the neutral straight-ahead position. Both sides should still have power.

For the ground on your test light or meter, connect to a good fixed ground, NOT the switched ground of the second terminal at each bulb socket.

If you had been using the switched ground and the test light wouldn't flash, a fault with the switched ground could be misinterpreted as a lack of constant power supply feeding the bulb. Make any sense? That's why I'd like to confirm a constant power supply to each bulb by keeping the turn lever centered and using a fixed ground for your test light.

Later we can investigate the switched ground, but let's worry about that after confirming each bulb has a constant power supply.

beleive 11-26-2016 09:26 PM

Looking back at your questions. I forgot to answer. The passenger side has power that blinks and when I check the drivers side wire no power at all. No power to any of the lights on front drivers side except the headlights.

beleive 11-26-2016 09:44 PM

Yes. Sorry forgot. I just went and check. No constant power to either side. Using common ground. Thanks

beleive 11-26-2016 10:10 PM

Yes used fixed ground. No constant power on either side.

kr98664 11-26-2016 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by beleive (Post 1575501)
Yes used fixed ground. No constant power on either side.

Okay, I'm officially confused. Can somebody help and make sure I'm not digging a hole with my line of troubleshooting?

Per my potentially faulty logic, there should be 12v constant power at one terminal of each bulb. This is using a fixed ground for the voltmeter or test light, as we will look at the switched ground later. I'm comparing the left (bad) side against the right (good) side, to make sure we know what a good reading would look like.

However, we're presently showing no power to either side. Since the right side is working, this makes absolutely no sense.

My rabbit trail logic leads me to believe we're making an error in the testing procedure. Two possibilities come to mind:

1) The fixed ground used for the test isn't a good ground.

2) The ignition was off but it has to be on to supply power.

Other than that, in the words of the double amputee: I'm stumped. Anybody got any ideas? I'd hate to think I'm leading this process astray.

beleive 11-26-2016 10:50 PM

Understand. Im using a good ground. Yes, I do all testing with the car running. I dont think its uses ground for the flashing but vice versa. I could be wrong but the reason I think that is when I test the right side with r. directional on with test light it flashes using fixed ground. I hope this helps. Thanks for sticking with me

beleive 11-26-2016 11:30 PM

and yes i like gladiator one of my favorites along with Braveheart and Rocky. Thumbs up.

Gus 11-27-2016 10:04 AM

My first look at this issue leads me to the fuses. I had the flag that a turn bulb was out a year or so ago and found it was a fuse. If I recall correctly the fuse for the turn signals are located in the trunk and take my word for it pull the fuses to check them. I spent a half a day trying to chase it down when all it was, was a fuse.

kr98664 11-27-2016 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Gus (Post 1575682)
My first look at this issue leads me to the fuses. I had the flag that a turn bulb was out a year or so ago and found it was a fuse. If I recall correctly the fuse for the turn signals are located in the trunk and take my word for it pull the fuses to check them. I spent a half a day trying to chase it down when all it was, was a fuse.

Gus, I think you are on to something. I did a little more digging this morning after Sir William Lyons visited me in a dream last night. He said, "Don't be your usual stupid self and make this more difficult than it has to be. Go back and check the basics." He also had some comments about my choice of sleepwear but I won't reprint that because this is a family-friendly forum. All in all, however, we had a nice visit.

The fuses for the turn signals are in the "Primary Junction Fuse Box". I was never aware of this box, only being familiar with the front box under the hood, and the rear box in the trunk.

Previous mention was made of checking the fuses under the hood, so using my troubleshooting extrapolator, I don't think this fuse box was checked.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...9c5806f254.jpg

Here are details of the individual fuses within each panel:

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...d266d855a2.jpg
Fuse F10 circled in red.

Can anybody else help narrow down the access to this fuse box? Is this under the dash or by the front passenger's (North America) feet?

Anyways, once you find this box, look for fuse F10. It powers the left front turn signals. My apologies if you've already looked there. For reference, F8 powers the right front turn signals.

Fingers crossed...

Gus 11-27-2016 11:32 AM

On my 2000 I think the fuse was in the trunk. Best to check the owners manual and check them all.