Sponsored by:

Limited Slip Differential

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 12:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Limited Slip Differential

Referencing this thread:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...t=differential

I tracked down the guy that did that swap and talked to him on the phone. He said the first gen lincoln ls's (<03) had a differential carrier that was DIRECTLY compatible with other fords, such as mustangs. The carrier in the second gens (<=03) is not, so you would need to put a carrier from a first gen (or thunderbird) on it in addition to a new differential. Getting a differential is very inexpensive (a couple hundred bucks at most for a ford traction-loc) and extremely easy, however neither he nor I would be sure about swapping the carrier. Some lincoln LS guys have done carrier swaps to put in an LSD so I'm guessing it is entirely doable for us.

I'm curious if anyone here has gotten an LSD in their s-type, or what they think of this in general.

Old 05-28-2009, 12:07 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

when you say carrier do you mean case?

Old 05-28-2009, 02:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

No, the carrier and case are different parts. The carrier is inside of the case and is where the axles are inserted and is where the internal clutches/springs of the posi/lsd are contained. The case is the thing you can see when your underneath the car and is what the whole differential and ring gear is inside of.

Greywolf, did you guys talk about the possibility of using a cobra carrier with its stock trac loc?

Old 05-28-2009, 03:10 PM
Veteran Member

OHHHHHH wait do you mean are the differential case and the carrier the same?? in that case, that would be a yes. I was just think about it and I remembered that is another term people use.

Old 05-28-2009, 05:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,749 Likes on 7,100 Posts

I find that these terms are applied pretty loosely :-)

In some circles the "case" is what the ring gear bolts to while the part you see under the car....the part that has all the guts inside....is called a "differential housing."

<shrug>

Cheers
DD

Old 05-28-2009, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by greywolf40
The carrier in the second gens (<=03) is not, so you would need to put a carrier from a first gen (or thunderbird) on it in addition to a new differential. Getting a differential is very inexpensive (a couple hundred bucks at most for a ford traction-loc) and extremely easy, however neither he nor I would be sure about swapping the carrier.
OK in the above quote two parts are mentioned a "differential" and a "differential carrier".

If this, linky ,is a differential carrier; what is a differential?

Old 05-29-2009, 01:01 AM
Veteran Member

The carrier carries the gears and LSD clutches. The differential is the entire completed assembly carrier, gears, clutches and all. People just throw these terms around like Doug said. What we're looking for is the actual LSD differential, but there are certain things that make them fit in some cars and not in others. The number of splines on the axles is one of these technicalities, as is the number of bolts the holds the ring gear on to the diff. Lol all of these terms make talking about this extremely confusing. I looked for some decent diagrams on the web, but interestingly enough they don't really have any..

Old 05-29-2009, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by whiteSTR
No, the carrier and case are different parts. The carrier is inside of the case and is where the axles are inserted and is where the internal clutches/springs of the posi/lsd are contained. The case is the thing you can see when your underneath the car and is what the whole differential and ring gear is inside of.

Greywolf, did you guys talk about the possibility of using a cobra carrier with its stock trac loc?
The guy I talked to is at:

http://www.kbxperformance.com/

Figured I would give him a plug since he was so helpful. He didn't say much about swapping the carrier, just that the carrier on the newer lincoln ls's (and I assume STR's) is incompatible and suggested swapping in a carrier from an older lincoln ls/tbird. I saw a couple newer lincoln LS's on cardomain.com that said they put a t-bird carrier and LSD in. I think all this is pretty legit, I was just hoping someone had already done it or might be willing to be the ginnea pig . A normal ford 28 spline traction-loc LSD will definitely fit the carrier, it's just a question of the carrier fitting the car. One final thing, I was told to find a tag on the differential, an extra metal tag normally threaded through a bolt on the case that ford puts on their differentials. It has all sorts of information like ratio, spline, open/limited slip, etc and would tell us for sure if this would work, but I was unable to find it on my car. Anyone else see a tag on the differential case for their S-type or STR?

Old 05-29-2009, 03:03 PM
Veteran Member

Haha yeah I do this on old Ford 9s and Danas all of the time when i find them in junk yards. For some reason mine has no tag as well. It must be a jag thing. Idk if it could be stamped on the axle somewhere or if Jaguar removes the tags before they put the axle in the car, but ours don't have them. (shrug) who knows.. Eric

Old 05-29-2009, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by whiteSTR
Haha yeah I do this on old Ford 9s and Danas all of the time when i find them in junk yards. For some reason mine has no tag as well. It must be a jag thing. Idk if it could be stamped on the axle somewhere or if Jaguar removes the tags before they put the axle in the car, but ours don't have them. (shrug) who knows.. Eric
Odd, as I distinctly remember the tag on my 2000 V8 S-type, but my 03 STR doesn't have one either...

Old 05-29-2009, 10:35 PM
Veteran Member
Unhappy

very strange

Old 06-04-2009, 10:58 PM

ok so moving forward, If I order a Ford racing traction-loc diff (case whatever you call it) and a used LS differential (full loaded housing with ring gear) what else would I need to complete a the install of an LSD into my 03 STR? do I even need the LS diff?

Old 06-16-2009, 05:01 PM

From my understanding that should be all you need. You do not need the differential from the LS, just the carrier. However, it needs to be a first gen LS (<03), later gens cannot house the traction-loc dif. No guarantees of course, this is merely what my research indicates.

Old 11-19-2009, 03:51 PM

Anyone ever try any of this stuff I mentioned? I'm still holding out hope for an LSD in my STR

Old 11-19-2009, 04:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 801 Likes on 669 Posts

There are some things that we are still guessing at. Yes on the early Lincoln LS 2000-2002 model years you can install a Ford 8.0 LSD. However the ring gear and pinion will not swap. So the LS guys are stuck with just the factory ratios. In 2003-2006 The LS changed the read diff. Now on these cars you can go two ways. Adapt the earlier version set up which requires changing axles and drive shaft to the gen I LS stuff along with the diff itself. You can also do a complete custom install of a Lincoln MKVIII rear diff. This can also be done on the Gen I LS too. In fact several people have done this to get lower gears and it really makes a difference on the LS. This requires many more parts and is more expensive.

No one that I know of has verified how the Jaguar differentials all fit into this. I think the early Jaguar 1999-2002 cars share the Lincoln LS rear end and can install the same LSD. BUT Jaguar also changed or upgraded the rear diff on 2003 and up S Types. Until someone can physically compare a late model Jaguar to the Ford parts we just don't know what will work?? I have both a 2003 LS and a 2005 STR. Just looking at them side by side in the driveway they look VERY close if not identical. But my eyes are not that precise!!!

Still hoping it will fit!!!

Old 11-27-2009, 12:03 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I am also hoping this can be done. I still have not finished some of my stage 1 upgrades my stage 2 is the rear diff. Hopefully this will be solved before I get to stage 2 if not I will have to try it myself.

Old 11-28-2009, 05:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 801 Likes on 669 Posts

Sorry! It was suppose to be 8.8 and NOT 8.0!

Old 09-11-2011, 03:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So Im rockin an 01 S Type which mustang years or whatever would i look for to get an lsd that would bolt 9into mine?

Old 09-11-2011, 05:14 PM
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Here is a link to Quaife they have a LSD that will fit your car. This is for an XKR. You should contact them.
Search: Cars, Jaguar, XKR, Differentials - Quaife Engineering

Old 09-11-2011, 11:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts

He has a Gen 1 S-type. IIRC, any LSD for a 99 & up Mustang 8.8 SHOULD work. I don't think anybody on this forum has tried this swap yet, but the Lincoln LS guys (who share the same underpinnings), do this swap alot. There is more info in the other LSD thread, too.

The following users liked this post:
bfsgross (09-12-2011)

Quick Reply: Limited Slip Differential