S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Major steering problems Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 02:25 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Arrow Major steering problems Help

I have a 2000 S-type 4.0 that has developed MAJOR sreeing problems. 2 weeks ago I changed front wheel hub bearings. Last week I put front brakes on the car. Since then the car has developed "Jerky" steering problems to the point I am scared to drive it. The car wanders all over the road, pulls really bad to either side and you can " feel every crack and bump " in the road. I have inspected the tires (Pirellis as recommended) and they seem to be "cupping" or wearing forward. Is this a sign of suspension problems or does this have anything to do with the steering problems. My Mom drives this car daily and I do not want her driving this until I can work this problem out. Any advice/help is greatly appreciated.

Old 08-25-2012, 05:53 PM
Received 198 Likes on 166 Posts

I would start by checking the whole suspension to make sure it is tight. The lower ball joints are known to have the nut back off of them and they can wallow out the hole in the lower control arm as well as destroy the threads on the ball joint. Jack up the front of the car and feel for play by shaking the tire up and down and side to side.

The following users liked this post:
Brutal (08-26-2012)
Old 08-25-2012, 09:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

mamma, as quartz suggests: Go over your work. Something went awry with the bearing/brake swap.

mommasjag (08-26-2012)
Old 08-26-2012, 09:45 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by QuartzSTypeR
I would start by checking the whole suspension to make sure it is tight. The lower ball joints are known to have the nut back off of them and they can wallow out the hole in the lower control arm as well as destroy the threads on the ball joint. Jack up the front of the car and feel for play by shaking the tire up and down and side to side.
looky there, I didnt even have to type it

mommasjag (08-26-2012)
Old 08-26-2012, 01:24 PM

Upon inspection of left front side for anything I had missed when replacing bearing hub assembly and front brakes, I found what I am assuming are brake lines that are collapsed. I am posting pictures to make sure that my assumption is correct.

Old 08-26-2012, 01:41 PM

silly me, those are fuel lines.

Old 08-26-2012, 03:10 PM

I have triple checked my work in reguards to the installation og bearing hubs and brakes. I have found nothing that I missed or did wrong. The only thing I have found is a serios wearing of the inside of the front tires. This would be toe-in? My question is could this be the root of the "jerking" problem>

Old 08-26-2012, 10:17 PM

inner tire wear is too much toe out AS LONG AS SOMETHING IS WORN OUT AND HAS TOO MUCH PLAY!!
This actually makes the car "snow plow" only the wrong way and scrubs the inside of the tires rolling down the road.
I just worked on a Stpye where the owner went though their 2nd set of front tires after front suspension work and 3 alignments from a nameless chain that ryhmes with fire and stone
They were told that the 20's were causing the issue and wanted a dealer to fix and look at it. I told them "no its not the 20's, it that youve been going to someone that cannot even properly diag a simple suspension problem" Her right ball joint nut was backed off and so loose I wouldnt have wanted to drive the car. Its was about to snap off.
And what do you know. Now that they had a good diag of the problem and what things were bad and needed on the car. they left and went right back to firestone to have them fix it cheaper, even though they couldnt do it right the first three times. wasted time, money, and safety

Old 08-26-2012, 10:36 PM
Received 1,420 Likes on 1,063 Posts

"cough" stone SUCKS! - I would never, ever trust my Jag (or any vehicle for that matter) to them....

Old 08-26-2012, 11:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Originally Posted by Brutal
And what do you know. Now that they had a good diag of the problem and what things were bad and needed on the car. they left and went right back to firestone to have them fix it cheaper, even though they couldnt do it right the first three times. wasted time, money, and safety
That is truly sad.

Old 08-26-2012, 11:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Originally Posted by mommasjag
2 weeks ago I changed front wheel hub bearings. Last week I put front brakes on the car. Since then the car has developed "Jerky" steering problems to the point I am scared to drive it.
The short answer is that you need to put the car in front of a pair of professional eyes. It is obvious that it is directly related to the work that you did.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:53 AM

As recommended by Brutal and Quartz, I re-checked my work and as they had suggested, the ball joint nut on the driver's side had backed off considerably. I tightened the nut and test drove the car. It drives like it used to (perfect!) and the steering wheel is back in alignment. The car no longer pulls in any direction. The only damage I could find otherwise was the wear to the tires. I will replace those with the factory recommended Pirelli's that have always been on the car since it was new. I am also going to replace the shock/strut assembly (on both sides front and rear) since I am sure they have never been replaced either. I will also replace the ball joints and take the car to Bill Knight in Tulsa Oklahoma. The service adviser there, Danny Quigly, is a very reputable and knowledgeable person, and if anything else is wrong with the suspension, will put it back right. I will let them do the alignment as I don't have the equipment or knowledge to attempt this. Thank you guys for your expert and "right on the money" diagnosis. You guys certainly know your Jaguars!

Old 08-27-2012, 09:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Awesome! A nice happy ending for your good work on the "S".

Old 08-27-2012, 09:41 AM

I have verticle links with new ball joints already pressed in for $300.pr if interested

Old 08-27-2012, 12:26 PM
Received 99 Likes on 93 Posts

Did you loosen the ball joint nuts to do bearing and brake work? Just curious as I don't have that type car.
RagJag

Old 08-27-2012, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by RagJag
Did you loosen the ball joint nuts to do bearing and brake work? Just curious as I don't have that type car.
RagJag
he shouldnt have and it creates alot more work if you do

Old 08-27-2012, 03:40 PM

no, I did not loosen the ball joint nuts when I replaced the bearing hub assembly or the brakes. As Quartz suggested, apparently this is a common problem with this model? I have never done any suspension work on this car. The only work I have had done to this car was the replacement of the secondary tensioners, transmission rebuild, regular oil changes, and a set of new tires.

Old 10-26-2020, 07:30 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Brutal,

Thank you for your expertise !!
I have a 2000 3.0 liter.
I have had ball joints on both sides replaced. The first time one nut came loose I was swerving at highway speed !!
I love my car except for this.
Question is: Now its clear this backing off of the nut is a thing with this model, BUT IS THERE A PERMANT SOLUTION??
I am afraid this car is going to kill me next time.

Please advise us............

Old 10-27-2020, 07:24 AM
Received 1,420 Likes on 1,063 Posts

Originally Posted by Designeer
Brutal,

Thank you for your expertise !!
I have a 2000 3.0 liter.
I have had ball joints on both sides replaced. The first time one nut came loose I was swerving at highway speed !!
I love my car except for this.
Question is: Now its clear this backing off of the nut is a thing with this model, BUT IS THERE A PERMANT SOLUTION??
I am afraid this car is going to kill me next time.

Please advise us............
I would advise addressing ASAP.

From my understanding there should be a cotter pin in place from preventing the nut from backing off.

I had a 00 S Type 4.0 going about 20mph at Newark Airport when the ball joint (a year old) literally sheared in half.

If I was on the highway it would've been game over.

Needless to say I got rid of the car shortly thereafter.

Old 10-27-2020, 09:33 AM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

I had a few customer X200 with loose lower ball joints and Jaguar did issue a TSB for the fault.
Even after tightening, the nuts came loose again.
I 'double-nutted' a few cars but those lowers were trouble from the beginning.

Attached Files
kr98664 (10-27-2020)

Quick Reply: Major steering problems Help