Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Woes? I think...

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 12:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Transmission Woes? I think...

Hello!
So I was driving yesterday, and while I was on the freeway, my '02 S-type had a gearbox fault, and was having problems shifting gears until I got at higher speeds. Not too abnormal for it, I've learned to live with it for the past few months since I got stuck in park while on an incline, and I think I pried it to much when trying to shift it out of park (so now I just put up the e-brake, then park, then turn it off, and I try not to park on inclines).
Once I exited off the freeway, I was waiting at a light. All of the sudden the car just starts rolling back (because the light was on a little bit of a hill). I put up the e-brake, put it in park, and turned the car off. Turned it back on when the light turned green, (crossed my fingers) and it went! Only a few more blocks though, and then it wouldn't go anymore. Turned it off and on a few times to see if that would work, but it didn't. Abandoned my car (because it was in the middle of the road) and waited for the tow. About 1.5 hours later, tow truck comes, and could drive it up the ramp of the flatbed (which is pretty steep)! Got to the transmission shop, and tow truck driver drove it off the flatbed, and parked it. So it works...doesn't work...then works again. I almost wanted to take it home, but thought it was probably the right thing to do to have them at least look at it.
Any insight into what's going on with my S-type?
Thank you...

Old 06-16-2009, 03:55 PM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Well, I'm no tech but I would ask for them to do a service on the trans and see if they can pull the codes from the "gearbox fault" warning. I don't think the "stuck in park" issue and the drive issue are related. The stuck in park issue usually happens from a stuck "park pin" or issue with the shifter and/or linkage. The gear change and roll back sounds more like a fluid or pump issue. A simple fluid and filter change may help. Since yours isn't a ZF it should be in line with any other car for the service. Now, the ZF is another animal all together.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they called and said i need to rebuild my transmission. lots of dinero. any thoughts? any mechanics out there that can agree?