Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s-type-s-type-r-supercharged-v8-x200-15/)
-   -   In need of some parts (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s-type-s-type-r-supercharged-v8-x200-15/need-some-parts-49408/)

Stypernva 02-03-2011 12:30 PM

In need of some parts

I am looking for a set of stock S type R wheels that are in good condition and no curb rash that would fit my 03. No tires needed but if the price is right i would consider it.

I am also looking to put a stock OEM Navigation UNIT into my 03 type R. Other than the head unit what other components would i need? I know that there are a couple pig tail wiring harness's i would need plus if i am not mistaken it will completely change my HVAC controls as well. Any one ever do this upgrade or have the gear?
Thanks.

Cheers

androulakis 02-03-2011 01:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Stypernva (Post 301036)
I am looking for a set of stock S type R wheels that are in good condition and no curb rash that would fit my 03. No tires needed but if the price is right i would consider it.

I am also looking to put a stock OEM Navigation UNIT into my 03 type R. Other than the head unit what other components would i need? I know that there are a couple pig tail wiring harness's i would need plus if i am not mistaken it will completely change my HVAC controls as well. Any one ever do this upgrade or have the gear?
Thanks.

Cheers

Dont waste your $$ on an overpriced outdated stock nav system. Go aftermarket.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...1&d=1296760675

I can walk you through every step of the way.

Take care,

George

vance580 02-03-2011 01:35 PM

George's way is gonna save you alot of money and headaches. Since you dont have factory Nav this way is a whole lot easier since your A/C is already seperate. I'm not into sound systems like I used to be but if I still was I would of got one without factory Nav after all the stories I've heard of how almost impossible it is to add an aftermarket head unit in a Nav equipped S type.

androulakis 02-03-2011 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by vance580 (Post 301057)
George's way is gonna save you alot of money and headaches. Since you dont have factory Nav this way is a whole lot easier since your A/C is already seperate. I'm not into sound systems like I used to be but if I still was I would of got one without factory Nav after all the stories I've heard of how almost impossible it is to add an aftermarket head unit in a Nav equipped S type.

You can do things to a factory nav car... It's just a lot more complicated.

As far a non-nav car, You can get a LOT better sound / features / accurate navigation etc... for less than the cost of the factory setup. Just not worth it.

Take care,

George

Stypernva 02-03-2011 01:43 PM

Thanks for the education on this. I was only looking to do the OEM set up as i want it to look as stock as possible. After seeing your installed i am hooked. Thanks for saving me some time abd coin. I atleast owe you a tall cold pint for that info.

Cheers

vance580 02-03-2011 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by androulakis (Post 301061)
You can do things to a factory nav car... It's just a lot more complicated.

As far a non-nav car, You can get a LOT better sound / features / accurate navigation etc... for less than the cost of the factory setup. Just not worth it.

Take care,

George

Exactly he would get the factory Nav and realize that its not all that then have to go back to what he had originally. I agree he should just do like you did.

androulakis 02-03-2011 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Stypernva (Post 301064)
Thanks for the education on this. I was only looking to do the OEM set up as i want it to look as stock as possible. After seeing your installed i am hooked. Thanks for saving me some time abd coin. I atleast owe you a tall cold pint for that info.

Cheers

No problem.

I've been meaning to write an aftermarket audio "Bible" Type document - I have most of it in bits and pieces all over this site. I get a ton of PM's as well.

My head unit is 3+ years old. You can get much better now, I just haven't bothered to update it.

Btw, does your car have the alpine stereo? It should. If so you're going to have to swap head unit and at least a 4ch amp as well. You can't use the factory amp w/ an aftermarket head unit, but it's no big deal. I've even sourced the connectors to plug into the amp harness so you don't have to cut anything...

Take care,
George

bfsgross 02-03-2011 09:29 PM

stypernav, you can either buy new or used STR wheels. There are new STR wheels (Zeus) that are unbelievably affordable.

Stypernva 02-04-2011 09:35 AM

BFSGROSS- Do you have a contact number or website for those new STR wheels? I have been looking for a used set but not having much luck. Any suggestions? Thanks again.

Cheers

Stypernva 02-04-2011 09:43 AM

BFSGROSS-I found them! Man you were right...They are really affordable $425 for the set...so i ordered a set of 18x8 for the front and 18x9.5 for the rear. There is a poweredcoating shop here locally that does the Black chrome looking coating so they will be here monday and to them on Tuesday. Thanks for the heads up. To be honest i didnt know that my wheels i have were the Zeus style. Illl post pics when they are done!

Cheers

Michael Star 02-04-2011 10:11 AM

Where did you find them at?

Enthusiast 02-04-2011 01:19 PM

Please turn off the bold and italics....makes your posts too hard to read. Thanks.

JagV8 02-04-2011 01:26 PM

And please stop the flagging with the yellow triangle thing. They're hardly urgent!

Stypernva 02-05-2011 09:41 AM

Michael Star- Sorry for the delay in responding. I found them at www.wheelrims.net for $111.95 USD a piece.

Cheers

androulakis 02-05-2011 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Stypernva (Post 301775)
Michael Star- Sorry for the delay in responding. I found them at www.wheelrims.net for $111.95 USD a piece.

Cheers

You sure about that link, it brings up some australian site of different websites.

George

Stypernva 02-07-2011 06:24 AM

George- The link is www.wheelsrims.net. I forgot the s after wheel. Sorry about that.

Cheers

sivkov-y 02-10-2011 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Stypernva (Post 302504)
George- The link is www.wheelsrims.net. I forgot the s after wheel. Sorry about that.

Cheers

Has anyone ordered wheels from this site. I have the vulcan style on my car and need one front and one back. Need to know if this is a reliable place to order oem wheels. Thanks

Pushing_Tin 02-10-2011 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by sivkov-y (Post 304222)
Has anyone ordered wheels from this site. I have the vulcan style on my car and need one front and one back. Need to know if this is a reliable place to order oem wheels. Thanks

I can't say for sure, but looking around their website I found this in the FAQ section:

Since making rims is such a simple process, using basically the same materials and design process, the generic rims are often impossible to tell apart from the big brand name rims. The only real difference is the price you'll pay. And as you can imagine, you're paying for the name more than anything most of the time.
Take alloy wheels for example. An alloy is a mix of two metals (aluminum and magnesium) that creates a lightweight, strong rim with a high-gloss finish. Alloy rims are often plated in gold, silver or chrome, and virtually any company makes them. So the rims you're shopping for $1,000 are always going to be available for $600 somewhere else. It's the nature of the competitive business.
You just have to realize that you're not losing any quality by going with replica wheels. Remember, replica just means the brand name, not the material the rims are made of or even the process used to make them. In fact, if you're in the market for a replacement set of rims, you could even take it one step further and purchase some used rims.
Whether you want to save money on used or replica wheels, WheelsRims.net is here to help you out. By simply using our site features, you can quickly find a set of wheels perfect for your car or truck. In the process, you'll save time and money, and even gain a few benefits that can't be found anywhere else. Like our warranty features, for example. We stand behind our quality by offering a lifetime replacement warranty on every part you purchase from us.
When you need to save some money without sacrificing quality, WheelsRims.net is here.

androulakis 02-11-2011 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Pushing_Tin (Post 304227)
I can't say for sure, but looking around their website I found this in the FAQ section:

Ohhh I didn't realize they were replicas and not OEM... Wow didn't realize there was someone casting replicas of Jaguar OEM wheels, Didn't think there was a big enough market for that.

Take care,

George

Jayt2 02-11-2011 09:44 AM

Be careful on the backspacing with after market wheels. Some have been known to be off a bit which may (or may not) cause problems.