Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New (to me) 2007 S-Type

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 02:49 PM
Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
Default New (to me) 2007 S-Type

I just bought a 2007 S-Type.

Now I have 2 cars and they are both Jags. So, I guess I am a Collector, lol.
I have a couple of questions. First, Where is the paint code (sticker) located?
And, Is it OK, to spray some WD40 into the ignition switch? It sometimes will not start or turn off. The key won't turn.
Thanks In Advance for any help.

Old 06-22-2018, 06:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 540 Likes on 405 Posts

the paint code should be on the door pillar...a sticker on the drivers side..if it is missing then you would have to use the vin I would think....I do not know about the wd-40, probably ok just a squirt...the ignition switch has a stiff spring to start out with..it could be a worn key or tumbler issue also....plenty of knowledge here on this forum....you will get the answer you need I am sure....maybe use the search bar about a sticky ignition switch also....nice car by the way...you did well

The following users liked this post:
Vistacom1 (06-23-2018)
Old 06-23-2018, 06:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,274 Likes on 2,811 Posts

Use powdered graphite to lubricate your ignition switch assembly. Spraying any liquid lubricant into it is likely to gum up the inner components. Powdered graphite is made for this application....

Vistacom1 (06-23-2018)
Old 06-23-2018, 09:32 AM
Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon89
Use powdered graphite to lubricate your ignition switch assembly. Spraying any liquid lubricant into it is likely to gum up the inner components. Powdered graphite is made for this application....
Quote this for sure and to add while I was researching a drain on my battery one of the culprits to check is the switch not shutting down even with the key out that was said might be from sticky lube inside. It wasn't the drain in my case but something I stopped doing is having the rest of my keys weight swinging off the remote that is also said to damage the switch.

Vistacom1 (06-23-2018)
Old 06-23-2018, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Jon89
Thanks, That makes sense. And, I actually have some powered Graphite left over from when my Son was in Cub Scouts and we made a Pinebox Derby Car. LOL.

Old 06-23-2018, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by scottjh9
the paint code should be on the door pillar...a sticker on the drivers side..if it is missing then you would have to use the vin I would think....I do not know about the wd-40, probably ok just a squirt...the ignition switch has a stiff spring to start out with..it could be a worn key or tumbler issue also....plenty of knowledge here on this forum....you will get the answer you need I am sure....maybe use the search bar about a sticky ignition switch also....nice car by the way...you did well
Thanks for the reply. I looked on the door pillar first, and then all over. It is gone from the door pillar. It is odd because the tire info and the air bag warning stickers are there. The vin stickers are on the doors and of course the plate is in the window, Just the paint codes/vin sticker gone from the door sill. Carfax said no accidents, so I would not think it has been repainted. Oh well. Thanks, she has a few issues, but I think she is 90% in great shape. So, a little Love and Money, and I hope to get them straightened out.

Old 06-23-2018, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by ZenFly
Quote this for sure and to add while I was researching a drain on my battery one of the culprits to check is the switch not shutting down even with the key out that was said might be from sticky lube inside. It wasn't the drain in my case but something I stopped doing is having the rest of my keys weight swinging off the remote that is also said to damage the switch.
I definitely will use that advice about the graphite. Thanks for the tip on the keys. I had heard of that before, but I wasn't thinking about it in this case. So, I will be sure not to keep other keys on the fob for the Jag.