Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P0308 and P1316

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 05:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,984 Likes on 1,401 Posts

Originally Posted by abgusaf
I got a call from the injector service place today, and he confirmed that the #8 injector was bad electrically.
Groovy! Glad to hear you found the problem.

Kinda curious about the injector being "bad electrically". Was the coil open, with no continuity? I'd have thought that would set a fault code. Or was the coil electrically okay but the pintle wasn't responding?

Old 03-31-2017, 05:26 PM
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I am not sure exactly what he does to test him. Im assuming he just Ohm out the two posts on the injector. He said with the injector cold he was reading 80 Ohms, and with it hot it actually got better and the Ohms came down to 60.

However I didnt ask what they were meant to read

Old 04-23-2017, 04:48 PM

Another Update.

Got the injectors back and installed. Did a few other maintenance items while i was in there, valve cover gaskets, belts, DCCV, and few other seals.

Car ran beautifully for a week.

The car started misfiring very badly, much worse than before, I thought it was a vacuum leak at first, maybe a hose popped off. I smoked it and everything was fine.

Finally got the codes P0306, and P0206 along with the typical p1316. I put the stethoscope to it today, and Im pretty sure the #6 injector is bad......

I cant 100% confirm, but i think that was the replacement injector. The guy packaged the injectors in 2's. So 1,3 were in a bag, 5,7 another, and so on with 6,8 in the final. With 8 being the bad one originally, theres a 50% chance the "new" injector went into that cylinder.

I bought a refurbished injector. The cost is a quite substantial difference from new to the refurbs. Refurns being about $35 to new injectors being about $250 a piece. So naturally i went with the refurb, and the refurb I bought months ago for cylinder 7 has held up fine.

I am really really frustrated at this point...

Im going to check a few more things, but its looking like I will need to pull it all apart again and change another injector.

Then i dont know, sell the car to finance my divorce. The only person more pissed off than me with this whole thing is my wife.

Old 05-01-2017, 09:54 AM

Well Ill tell you one thing. I have certainly mastered pulling off the SC. If anyone wants to race let me know lol. I had the SC off and had the injector removed in under 2 hours.

Unfortunately, the bad injector is an old injector and not a new one. A good injector is reading right around 12 Ohms, but the bad one read no continuity going through it.

i just had these things professionally checked. Is there something causing these injectors to go bad? I searched all the visible wiring and everything looks good, but even if there were a short somewhere it shouldnt cause the injector to go bad. They have all been on different cylinders too.

im going to install this new one, and if i get another one go bad, i think im going to swap the ECU as well next time.

Old 05-02-2017, 01:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 593 Likes on 470 Posts

Originally Posted by abgusaf
Well Ill tell you one thing. I have certainly mastered pulling off the SC. If anyone wants to race let me know lol. I had the SC off and had the injector removed in under 2 hours.

Unfortunately, the bad injector is an old injector and not a new one. A good injector is reading right around 12 Ohms, but the bad one read no continuity going through it.

i just had these things professionally checked. Is there something causing these injectors to go bad? I searched all the visible wiring and everything looks good, but even if there were a short somewhere it shouldnt cause the injector to go bad. They have all been on different cylinders too.

im going to install this new one, and if i get another one go bad, i think im going to swap the ECU as well next time.
you can't just swap the ecm . its not that easy .
I've been down a similar track recently as you except no codes . and hoped mine was a bad injector . causing poor power and running rich
there are upgraded injectors on ebay about $800nzd . thay told me they have a finer mist and faster pulse time. also the injector looms are $350nzd per side .
mine were fine too but i had the set of injectors tested ultrasonically cleaned with new tips and tip filters replaced and re tested for around $250nzd. the fuel shop said for 170000 odd km these were working surprisingly perfectly.
it turned out to be a failing MAF sensor for me ,

I'm armed with brand new EGR bolts so next time ill smoke your two hours .

Old 05-02-2017, 08:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,236 Likes on 1,765 Posts

Good tip!!

Beware of the "evil" EGR bolt's. They have caused many hours of misery!

Old 05-02-2017, 10:29 AM

Thats one of the things i find frustrating. I just had them ultrasonically cleaned and tested, and after two weeks another one fails. It could be completely coincidence, so far three bad injectors, all on different cylinders, and i have changed them on both banks. That should rule out wiring.

I got it all back together last night, and for the first time didnt have any intake leaks right from the start. Had it back together in about 3 hours, conveniently while my son was asleep. But everything seems to running fine now.

I am in desperate need of new EGR bolts, i swapped them with the throttle body bolts awhile ago, but the throttle body is held on by two torqued bolts, and two that are just past snugged. No leaks though.