Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lower Rad hose/Transmssn. lines

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 08:34 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Lower Rad hose/Transmssn. lines

2000 3.0 V6

I have my radiator halfway out, the lower radiator hose has that midway juncture with two hoses back to the transmission, the question is:

It appears the rubber hoses attach to the metal tube lines right under the exhaust manifold and that there is NO ROOM TO get your hands in there to clamp the thing.

Waiting on parts before I jack up the car again and go at it, WHAT CAN I EXPECT ??

Old 03-26-2017, 10:06 PM
Received 316 Likes on 243 Posts

Those 2 hoses go to the oil cooler where the oil filter spins onto.

I'm assuming these are the 2 hoses you're talking about?

The following users liked this post:
Designeer (04-02-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 08:55 AM

Thank you for the pic and response JBzXJ40.

Could these really be the hoses off a lower radiator hose filled with coolant though?

Why would coolant connect to the oil filter, other threads mention these lines going back to the transmission?

Old 03-28-2017, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,230 Likes on 1,762 Posts

Your working blind!!

Get the free shop manual (JTIS) and parts catalog (EPC) from this site. All your answers are in there.
They are free downloads.

Old 03-30-2017, 07:49 PM
Received 316 Likes on 243 Posts

You have a 2000 S-Type. The Oil Cooler so to speak is the oil filter housing. The coolant is used to flow through that to cool the oil filter housing (fluid to fluid vs air to fluid). These 2 hoses come off the lower radiator hose. The trans cooler lines run directly to the radiator, but they run down the RH side of the engine.

The later models, 03 and up have a different set up, the trans cooler lines on these models run down on the LH side of the engine.

Just to be clear, your question is in regards to the lower radiator hose, and off that hose has a junction with 2 smaller hoses that run down the LH side of the engine ( with you sitting in driver seat ) correct?

The following users liked this post:
Designeer (04-02-2017)
Old 04-02-2017, 04:18 PM

Because I drive the car to client meetings important for business, I have been in a hurry to repair it and can't find the patience to look it up in the manual when it is all mostly obvious and out in plain sight except I did miss how they attached to the oil filter, thanks for that. Having pulled down the steering rack to get to the clamps, still could not get one clamp slid over enough and pulled on the hoses to get them off with all my might and they did not budge, heated and melted on with time, it occurred to me not enough room to ever get them back on SO MY INNOVATION BECAME barbed hose connectors far more front where I could get to them and leave that stubborn section of line on.............I will post pics if this works............only had thin latex gloves on hand so I am healing from a lot of cuts !!!

I hope I did not tug too hard on certain wiring.......we'll see.