Sponsored by:

Parking Brake Fault ‘ / Loss of Power / Not cranking

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2016, 07:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking Brake Fault ‘ / Loss of Power / Not cranking

Hi all. ‘ Parking Brake Fault ‘ / Loss of Power / Not cranking

S Type 2.7 D/ 11/2007

Yesterday I was driving after a nice car spring clean, just had service, and passed its MOT, had no recent obvious noises or anything to indicate a current fault. Nothing ‘suspicious’, basically driving like we all know a well taken care Jag, purring along nice and gracefully.

Suddenly and abruptly at approximately 25 MPH, ‘ Parking Brake ‘ Fault displayed in Yellow on the Dash. > The Car then slowed down quickly then drastically ( it seemed )
> lost power, steering went very hard > then total engine loss.
Just about managed to steer the car into the cerb of a live and fast moving lane.

The car wouldnt crank / Turn over >nothing was responding

just> ‘ parking brake fault’ on the dash.

The Parking brake woulnd’t disengage

RAC turned up, and gave me the following readings from The computer -

‘’ RAC DIAGNOSTIC SYSTEM
System Type: PARKING BRAKE
Name: PBM - PARKING BRAKE CONTROL MODULE
DTC: C1D14,Ignition status
DTC: C1D15,Brake switch status
DTC: U0100,Lost communication with ECM/PCM "A"
DTC: U0155,CAN: communication fault with IC (Instrument Cluster)

System Type: AIRBAG ELECTRONICS (SRS) Name: ARM - RESTRAINTS CONTROL MODULE DTC: 0000,unknown

System Type: CENTRAL ELECTRONIC UNIT Name: DSM - DRIVERS SEAT MODULE
DTC: B1940,Seat Memory Position Out Of Range. DTC: 0000,unknown
System Type: NAVIGATION SYSTEM
Name: NAV - INTEGRATED NAVIGATION UNIT DTC: 0000,unknown

System Type: SOUND SYSTEM
Name: FEM - FRONT ELECTRONIC MODULE DTC: 0000,unknown

Name: FETM - AUDIO UNIT
DTC: B2477,Control module configuration incompatible DTC: U2008,Audio telephone is not responding.
DTC: B2888,Audio system media fault
DTC: 0000,unknown
Name: REM - REAR ELECTRONIC MODULE DTC: 0000,unknown

System Type: DOOR MODULE
Name: DDM - DRIVER DOOR MODULE DTC: 0000,unknown
System Type: AC SYSTEM
Name: ATC - AUTOMATIC TEMPERATURE CONTROL
DTC: U2520,IPC (instrument panel cluster) - missing message DTC: U2521,Missing the CAN message from the ABS
DTC: B1
>>>>

The RAC mechanic was with me inspecting the car for one hour, a lovely man, but gave some odd advice,
1. It must be gearbox fault.
2. Wiring loom.
I immediately thought ‘battery issues’ as i had a similar issue with a very old 1999 S type,
he tried to jump start, but it wouldnt crank, he said it had enough voltage to start as my battery was reading about 12 Volts, is 12 Volts enough to start an S-Type Diesel 2.7?

I am not confident that his view on the gearbox is accurate.

could it be throttle body sensor related?

I need the car as I use it sometimes for my volunteering at my local hospice as a driver for patients, and im due to make some pickups this week.

ive read the forum and can find similar posts, however, a lot of the posts seem to pertain to the same issue apart from mine is not cranking,and I have no power - subsequently i cant go through the braking re-calibration process which i have read about

i recently have had new discs and pads all round. ( is this significant )?

(about 10 minutes prior to the car loosing power and displaying the ‘ parking brake ‘ fault light, I was trying to use the On Board Sat Nav, whilst in the sat Nav settings, there was an option for ‘ calibration ‘ which i assumed was for the sat nav or parking or distance settings or just random SatNAv update settings and it needed its setting changed. Which I pressed.
since then my mind has been playing tricks, wondering if by pressing this i have somehow ‘activated’ the parking brake calibration from within the sat nav settings, is this possible, is there any type of settings inside the satnav menu that can influence the parking brake and make the car to loose power) ?

i have also lost the radio and sat nav code> its asking for settings.
does the symptoms sound familar to anyone?
does anyone know of an Essex / Kent mobile with a Jag Computer JIT system?

My advice to you all. =

I was on a hard and live lane, quite scary to be honest, and I didnt have my Warning Triangle, only my yellow jacket! always remember your triangle, ! or to be extra safe, have 2 in the boot.

even with my hazzards on and yellow jacket cars were whizzing past at high speeds
( some were obviously young and dangerously inexperienced to be driving so close to my veichle ) , many cars were using there horns at dissaproval of me having my hazzards on, and them having to swerve around my car,...
with 2 warning traingles if this happens again i would put one about 50 meters from the car, and then one 10 meters away.
hopefully this wont happen to you, but its always better to be prepared in case like me you break down in a live, fast lane. And irrespective of our experience with safety, all it takes is one driver to smash into us .

Also, be prepared for the RAC to take 90 minutes to arrive, then another hour for the truck to come with skates, ( because the parking brake couldnt be disengaged )

warm coat / water and gloves in a bag in the boot is also important too!
if your a pensioner or have any health problems, then a spare warm coat / hat /gloves is a must!
any guidence or help is much appreciated

kind thanks Jeff

Last edited by Norri; 10-09-2016 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Adjusted font size
Old 10-09-2016, 07:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ps my apologies for the large text i couldnt find the edit button to make it smaller.

Old 10-09-2016, 09:23 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

If it won't even crank it's an electrical fault.

Install a new, fully charged battery to start with.

Old 10-09-2016, 10:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

You'd think the RAC would know how to get the brake off!! (Not exactly rocket science.) I reckon they could've read it on here or rung the Jaguar emergency phone.

Old 10-11-2016, 03:28 PM
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,783 Posts

It would seem the battery may be suspect as minimal voltage across the terminals with the engine off should be 12.2 volts. If the voltage according to the RAC is 12 volts, that may be your starting point.

A diesel variant may require more power when cold to get the engine to crank and run.

Old 10-13-2016, 07:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts

+1 and Bingo to the need for battery charge or replacement as neither your 12V nor 12.2V is adequate. Unless you are the original owner or have documented proof of battery replacement (and my 2007 2.7L TTD was fitted with a 2006 manufactured Varta) yours may be the original - and that makes it 10 years old!

The 2006 onwards 2.7L TTD should be fitted with the higher spec battery and 12.6V is considered the minimum threshold voltage - measured after an all night rest following being full charged. Around 12.3V should crank and start engine, but anything less than 12.6V will throw a succession of well known faults - all well documented here - parking brake fault; cruise cannot engage; ABS fault etc etc etc . . .

1) Suggest you search this forum for "Battery 101 . . ."
2) Suggest you get one of the new Smart Charger (Battery Tender).

Cheers,

Ken