Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s-type-s-type-r-supercharged-v8-x200-15/)
-   -   Please list reasons your Jag stops running unexpectedly. (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s-type-s-type-r-supercharged-v8-x200-15/please-list-reasons-your-jag-stops-running-unexpectedly-206319/)

webbeing 08-08-2018 10:59 PM

Please list reasons your Jag stops running unexpectedly.

Hello everyone,

I am trying to prevent another episode of being stranded in my 2000 S-type V8 with 55K miles, have it since new. I hope you contribute to this thread by listing reasons your cars stop running unexpectedly. Thanks for your help

Reasons for stop running unexpectedly:
- Blown fuel pump fuse, occurs one time so far, may be just old fuel pump?
- Blown fuse no 4 (passenger compartment fuse panel), caused car/engine to stop running immediately. This 5 amps fuse protects the following: Powertrain Control Module (PCM) relay coil, instrument cluster, fuel pump relay, Rear Electronic Module (REM), and transit relay. Stranded 4 times from this, until I replaced (with higher rating and added heat sink) the transistor that drove the odometer display.
- Multiple high temp “warning” episodes from cracked overflow coolant tank, leaky cross over pipe, thermostat housing.

Bonus section, misc-repair:
- Windows regulators: 4x driver side, 1x passenger side, 2x rear windows
- Multiple sets of coil on plug, until I replace the valve cover seal twice and add thickness to it the second time, to prevent oil leak into spark plug holes.
- DCCV valve replacement
- Update chain tensioner
- Random funky radio display, live with it.

JagV8 08-09-2018 01:09 AM

Had it about 9 years and has never stopped unexpectedly.

I've never had a fuse blow but if I did and it happened twice or more I'd know there was an underlying fault - and if that goes unfixed then further grief can be expected.

Grant Francis 08-09-2018 03:23 AM

I agree.

None of mine have done that, a few coughs and splutters, maybe, but never failed to proceed in a forward motion.

aholbro1 08-09-2018 07:41 AM

Not a single one of my 6 (3 X202's and 3 X300's) has ever been guilty of running unexpectedly.
:icon_couchhide:

NBCat 08-09-2018 08:41 AM

+1 on my 2000 S-Type 4.0 litre Sport, which I've had for seven years. I have owned nearly twenty Jaguars from the 1960s on and not one has ever left me stranded on the side of the road.

If there are either high resistances in the circuits, or shorts causing the fuses to break, you must find the reason. On place to begin is with the earthing points and then an inspection of the wiring looms. The fuel pump may be starting to fail as can happen if the car is left unused for long periods.

Also check the battery as it can be a source of many of the electrical faults that members chase. The battery should have a minimum of 12.6 volts across the terminals after ten minutes with the engine off. A new battery may also not be fully charged, or can have a weak cell.

Warspite 08-09-2018 09:33 PM

A handful of times on my '02 ST 4.0. All related to a bad throttle body. Each stall was accompanied by a P1584 DTC. Rebuild of the throttle body remedied the condition.

I too, had a number of the other failures, quirks, ghosts and gremlins mentioned since the cat was in the family, but only the throttle body ever caused a cutoff...and usually from a standing or slow motion start.

Donna 08-10-2018 05:53 PM

Does hitting a kangaroo at speed count?

User 42324 08-12-2018 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Donna (Post 1944600)
Does hitting a kangaroo at speed count?

​​​​​​​I'd say yas 😁

JagV8 08-12-2018 12:20 PM

If you can do it over here it definitely counts!!

wydopnthrtl 08-24-2018 08:04 AM

webbing if I were having those problems, here is what I'd do:

1. Disassemble the ground contacts near the battery, engine, and all near the fuse boxes. (wirebrush the wires connector and the hole/stud it attaches to. Reassemble leaving them dry)
2. Check the battery and if more then 2yrs old... consider just putting a new one in.

IMO chances are very good its 1 of those or maybe a combination of the two.