Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hmmm that's weird...

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 11:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hmmm that's weird...

Hi guys

Lately it's gotten warmer down here in Zurich, and my S-type's steering wherl makes these weird squeaks, I mean it sounds like an old door that hasn't been greased. It used to do this before too but now as it gets warmer outside the squeaking gets more intense. What should I do about it? Should I worry? :/ I love this baby, even though it's old and it's got quite a few miles on board, so I don't want anything bad to happen.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:29 PM
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I just got a 2005 S-type and am experiencing the same steering wheel squeaking noise, especially when the car is warmer. I noticed another member mentioned about a TSB for this. I was thinking I would take the plastic steering column cover off and oil the plate where the electrical contacts for the steering wheel-mounted controls touch. But this might mess things up. So, like Ioan-Stefan, I wonder what the fix is for this?

Old 03-05-2013, 12:34 PM
Received 6,250 Likes on 5,450 Posts

There is a TSB and the fix is an additive that goes in the fluid, most people report good results.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:47 PM

OK, to be clear on what I am experiencing, it is *not* a noise coming from the power steering system. It is a squeaking or zipping noise coming from the steering wheel inside the cabin when the wheel is turned. I have heard this kind of noise on other cars, but in my S-type, it is louder and more out of character with the quiet and smooth nature of the car and so is something to remedy. It is getting louder as the temperatures warm.
I located this TSB on JimC64's stickied thread: JTB00034, with PDF file name "Steering Wheel Noise TSB". This appears to be addressing a bearing or bushing problem. Quote from the TSB:

CONDITION SUMMARY:
STEERING COLUMN ADJUSTMENT TO RESOLVE NOISE
Situation: Increased loading on the bulkhead bushing can result in noise coming from the steering column when the steering wheel is turned.
Action: If a customer expresses concern about the steering noise symptoms and they are verified, reposition the lower steering column to release pressure on the bulkhead bushing as outlined below in the Repair Procedure of this bulletin.

My guess was the electrical contacts for the steering wheel-mounted controls. Is the sound really more likely caused by "loading on the bulkhead bushing"?

Old 03-05-2013, 12:51 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by Norri
There is a TSB and the fix is an additive that goes in the fluid, most people report good results.
+1 on Norri's comments. The squeak is NOT in the steering wheel or column, despite what owners might think. I'm surprised that there's still cars around that have not had the TSB done. It's JTB00055 found in the TSB sticky at the top.

Old 03-05-2013, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Mikey
+1 on Norri's comments. The squeak is NOT in the steering wheel or column, despite what owners might think. I'm surprised that there's still cars around that have not had the TSB done. It's JTB00055 found in the TSB sticky at the top.
Then why is there a separate TSB on *steering column noise* with a fix to adjust the steering column inside the cabin that is unrelated to the power steering fluid, etc.? I know when noise is coming from a location inside the cabin 2 feet from my ear as I carefully listen, and noise coming from outside the cabin in the power steering system (pump, rack/gear, other mechanicals located approximately between the front wheels under the hood and not inside the cabin).

Old 03-05-2013, 01:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Because a tiny number need that fix. However, almost everyone SWEARS it's in the cabin (*) but the additive is the fix. Just choose the fix you fancy

(*) because the sound is conducted into the cabin, of course

The following users liked this post:
GT42R (03-05-2013)

Trending Topics

Old 03-05-2013, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by JagV8
Because a tiny number need that fix. However, almost everyone SWEARS it's in the cabin (*) but the additive is the fix. Just choose the fix you fancy

(*) because the sound is conducted into the cabin, of course
That's good information to know. And it demonstrates the value of this forum -- members with experience pointing us to possible solutions to issues. Thanks.

I don't want to hijack the Zuricher OP's thread and conflate his issue with mine. I am new to Jaguar S-type ownership and I saw his post and thought, "me, too!" Our issues may be entirely different, though.

MY steering noise is not a squeak. It sounds something like the sound of a clothes zipper, AND it transmits a haptic vibration to the steering wheel and my hands, and its frequency is directly proportional to the speed at which the steering wheel is turned, and varies in intensity from time to time, but I don't actually know if it varies with temperature. Because of the nature of the sound, and the kind of low-intensity but direct and non-filtered feeling vibrations that are transmitted to the steering wheel and my hands that are different than vibrations I've felt before transmitted to the steering wheel from the steering gear/system in other cars, I am about 95% sure the sound and vibrations originate inside the cabin. I still think it is just a sound from the electrical contacts for the steering-wheel-mounted controls/buttons.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Tee-eye

MY steering noise is not a squeak. It sounds something like the sound of a clothes zipper, AND it transmits a haptic vibration to the steering wheel and my hands, and its frequency is directly proportional to the speed at which the steering wheel is turned, and varies in intensity from time to time, but I don't actually know if it varies with temperature. Because of the nature of the sound, and the kind of low-intensity but direct and non-filtered feeling vibrations that are transmitted to the steering wheel and my hands that are different than vibrations I've felt before transmitted to the steering wheel from the steering gear/system in other cars, I am about 95% sure the sound and vibrations originate inside the cabin. I still think it is just a sound from the electrical contacts for the steering-wheel-mounted controls/buttons.
Or you could just do the TSB like everyone else that absolutely insisted the noise is coming from their steering wheel.

Old 03-05-2013, 04:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 801 Likes on 669 Posts

Why are you fighting the solution??

The magic juice is only about $12 and it won't hurt anything if that's not the problem. Try it first and then get complicated.

If it was done properly you should have a sticker on top of the P/S pump with the part number of the additive.

You can get the additive from Jaguar or Ford but they do have different part numbers.

Old 03-05-2013, 04:36 PM

Tee-eye no worries, we actually have the same issue apart for the fact that mine squeaks and doesn't have the zipper sound well I guess I'll try the additive and we'll see if it gets better. So thanks a lot for the answers real professionals out here not like at the dealer where I called and they told me that it is most certainly the power steering pump that needs replacing... This guys here would do anything to charge you as much as possible. Btw, do you guys know where I could order the additive in europe? From the UK or something? Cause I'm pretty sure here they'd try to overcharge me as much as possible, they tried to charge me about 2000 dollars last month only to change the spark plugs

Old 03-05-2013, 05:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 801 Likes on 669 Posts

Well Jaguar has it for sure. Is there a Ford dealer you can get to?

Old 03-05-2013, 05:17 PM

Yep, I got a ford dealer 'bout 5 minutes from my place, I shall try there then

Old 03-06-2013, 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by tbird6
Why are you fighting the solution??

The magic juice is only about $12 and it won't hurt anything if that's not the problem. Try it first and then get complicated.

If it was done properly you should have a sticker on top of the P/S pump with the part number of the additive.

You can get the additive from Jaguar or Ford but they do have different part numbers.
OK, good point. I checked my power steering fluid reservoir and there is no sticker. So, I'll get the additive and put it in the p/s tank (taking care not to overfill). It'll be a good thing even if it doesn't solve the slight friction noise and buzz in the steering wheel. And if it does make the noise go away, super. If not, it was preventative maintenance.

Old 03-06-2013, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Tee-eye
I'll get the additive and put it in the p/s tank (taking care not to overfill).
Best read the TSB and follow the instructions, not just pour it in.

Old 03-06-2013, 07:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,274 Likes on 2,811 Posts

I'm betting that the magic elixer solves your noisy steering wheel problem. Sure worked for our S-Type, nearly three years ago now and the steering operation has been tomb-silent ever since....

Old 03-06-2013, 09:29 AM
Default JTB00055 -- Power Steering System Squeaking Noise Repair Procedure

Originally Posted by Mikey
Best read the TSB and follow the instructions, not just pour it in.
I read the TSB: JTB00055 -- Power Steering System Squeaking Noise Repair Procedure, which I found on Jim64's stickied thread with a ZIP file name of 'Power Steering Squeaking Repair Procedure.zip' containing a PDF with file name of '67 Power Steering Squeaking Repair Procedure.pdf'. Ioan-Stefan (John-Stephen?) -- you need to look at this Jaguar technical bulletin. The procedure to follow when adding the additive is unbelievably specific -- turns of the wheel this way and that for various amounts, holding for so much time, maintaining certain engine RPM at certain points, and using a thermometer to monitor fluid temperature to keep it at 100C +/- 5C. Wow. I'll let you guys know after I've added the magic juice with the prescribe procedure with a few incantations for good measure.

By the way, Ioan, I'm curious to know if Ford dealers in Switzerland carry the additive. The Lincoln LS on the DEW98 (?) platform was not sold in Europe, I don't think, though sometimes some European countries (often Switzerland and The Netherlands) get American cars not sold widely in Europe. Maybe other Ford models had the same problem. Anyone know? If Ford Europe doesn't carry the additive, maybe check around for a Jaguar dealer willing to send the additive to you for a reasonable price if your local Jaguar dealer is being unreasonable. (Or use the standard price for the additive elsewhere to beat the dealer down to a reasonable price.)

Old 03-06-2013, 09:40 AM

No offence but the two of you are making a mountain out of a molehill. All Jaguar dealerships carry the fluid in their parts departments. North American price over the counter is around $10-$12. UK price is around 8-10 pounds.

You'd spend more in gas running around to different dealers trying to get a compatible fluid at a 'bargain'.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:43 AM
Received 6,250 Likes on 5,450 Posts

Several members have not followed the TSB procedure and just added the fluid, the result seems to be the same it just takes a day or two to work through.

Old 03-06-2013, 10:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

True. I just removed some existing fluid, added the new and let it happen as and when it did. Worked great. Oh, and I did add the sticker to the PAS reservoir LOL

The following users liked this post:
Norri (03-06-2013)