Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s-type-s-type-r-supercharged-v8-x200-15/)
-   -   Power to window switch problem (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s-type-s-type-r-supercharged-v8-x200-15/power-window-switch-problem-212434/)

davidladewig 01-03-2019 05:42 PM

Power to window switch problem

The windows on this car work well with the master switch. Up/Down with not problems. The local switches on all the doors do not work. Somehow the power is not going through the switch. I replaced the master driver door switch and there was no change on the other three doors. I checked all the fuses and I have the diagrams, but I keep thinking it must be something like a plug that is loose or a system bus that would control this. Any ideas would be helpful. The windows worked when I first got the car and hardly anyone rides in it so I don't know when this started. PS: I reinstalled the original master switch.

Thanks.

scottjh9 01-03-2019 06:22 PM

Could be a module problem... modules control everything on these cars....and if I remember right most things have constant power and the grounds are switched....maybe even simple as a bad ground...i think there are about 10 of them in different spots......if Karl chimes in he will know...or Jagv8

kr98664 01-03-2019 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by davidladewig (Post 2008850)
​​​​​I replaced the master driver door switch and there was no change on the other three doors.

Have you played with the little switch in the middle of the master switch panel? I forget its name, but it lets the driver disable the other 3 door-mounted switches.

​​​​​​

davidladewig 01-04-2019 09:16 AM

Yes, I have tried in both positions with the same negative results. Thank you.

davidladewig 01-04-2019 09:18 AM

The modules or a loose connection is becoming the start point. Now, where to look. These cars have about 9 miles of wire in them. I think they could have done it with a paultry 2 miles of wire.

aholbro1 01-06-2019 11:56 AM

I wouldn't rule out a broken wire in the driver door post-to-cabin wiring loom. Normally, the one that breaks disables all windows from all switchers. However, my vague recollection of tracing the wiring when I had the problem was that all power to the door switches runs through the master switch, so perhaps you've got a different broken wire than several of us have had?

davidladewig 01-14-2019 02:09 PM

I'm thinking loose or broken too. I'll just have to find time to get up in there and look around. I'll have my chiropractor at the ready after the look. I'll advise if I find anything.

M-e-l-l-o-w 01-15-2019 06:58 AM

You will find that there is no 'power' to the switches as such.
Like most other electrical switches on these cars they are switched earths not switched positive.

Just to be clear does the passenger door window switch work?

Mellow