Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s-type-s-type-r-supercharged-v8-x200-15/)
-   -   Projected value of S-types (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s-type-s-type-r-supercharged-v8-x200-15/projected-value-s-types-66505/)

dwhitall 01-13-2012 01:08 PM

Projected value of S-types

I love my 2005 S type 4.2. I bought it used 3 years ago and I have (knock on wood) have relatively few major problems with it (although I don't drive it very frequently -- about 5K miles per year). I do realize that problems are likely to start cropping up in the next year or two (I'm at 75K miles now) so I'm starting to think my best move. Unfortunately, I don't do any major repairs on it myself, so I think I'll want to get out before it starts getting expensive.

I feel like the S type was a very popular model of Jaguar and I think it's unfortunate that it's not longer in production. Does anyone have any thoughts on what the value of S types might do over the next couple of years?

In other words, would a low(er) mileage 2005 S type be worth more in 5 years (because they would start to get rarer) than they are now?

Or would it be best to sell sooner rather than later (i.e. an 8 year old car with 75K is inherently more valuable than a 10 year old car with 100K).

Just curious to hear any opinions. Thanks in advance.

Jon89 01-13-2012 01:21 PM

Unfortunately, the S-Type is a niche vehicle with limited appeal to the masses. That's a shame because it really is a fantastic bang-for-the-buck sedan if you can D-I-Y most of the maintenance and repairs required....

It will probably never be a collectible car so the longer you hold onto it, the more it will continue to depreciate....

I plan to keep ours until my cost/benefit analysis tells me that its repair costs have exceeded my previously-determined threshold of what I'm willing to absorb (ours is a long, long way from that point as of right now). Then, if I can't sell it for a reasonable price, I'll donate it to charity and claim the tax break as I've done with previous vehicles. Works for me. Good luck with your decision....

bfsgross 01-13-2012 01:24 PM

"S" future value? Ya never know? You know how some things don't seem probable, but then....

Translator 01-13-2012 02:28 PM

Or would it be best to sell sooner rather than later (i.e. an 8 year old car with 75K is inherently more valuable than a 10 year old car with 100K).
Just my 10cents, in the second or third hand market condition and history are king.

If your higher mileage, slightly older car has been cosseted and has a stack of maintenance invoices, it may well be more attractive than a lower mileage, younger car with hardly any history.

FWIW, extrapolating, currently 12 year old S Types on UK Autotrader are starting at around £1200 GBP or $1800. Not exactly great considering the cost when new.

Even though we all love them, at the end of the day they were a production vehicle based on a fairly standard platform.

IMHO, these cars can only go down in value, especially as fuel prices continue to rise and regulations become stricter. Heck it could even be that any production vehicle over ten years old will have to go to that big car park in the sky.

Older STRs will have major mechanical components at the end of their lives. Again bringing the price down.

OK in the US, you have ridiculously low fuel charges/taxes when taken in conjunction with debt and other aspects, if your Gov't ever has the b$*ls to decide to increase fuel taxes to our European levels then these cars will be relegated even more into a niche market.

Folk already think I am both 'Nuts' and 'Loaded' to be running the old XJ40, the second one is just not true.

So run your S Type, drive with a smile, but never think of it as an investment.

As Jon points out, at 2005, one major repair is probably heading towards terminal value, the snag is, we all, do all the accumulating small stuff and miss the point of no return.

Then again to the OP, your car is now heading into my territory, and if I bought it, I would be expecting to get at least 5 years out of it.

I suppose it all depends on the position of the blocks and willingness to suffer. ;)

Mikey 01-13-2012 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by dwhitall (Post 454310)
I
In other words, would a low(er) mileage 2005 S type be worth more in 5 years (because they would start to get rarer) than they are now?

I've been wasting what little money I've squirrelled away on 'special' cars, bikes and other toys since the mid 60s. Never once have I heard of a mainstream vehicle that started to appreciate in value prior to being at least 20 years old. Some never hit bottom, some need 40 years or more.

I see nothing regarding an S-type that would make it an exception to the above generalities.

Looking at the relative values of an 8 year old S-type vs 10 year old- the small differential would pale in comparison to beating you'd take in depreciation on another newer car bought now to replace it. Keep it until it dies or your lower brain forces you to buy something new(er)- and damn the economics.

03Xtype 01-13-2012 03:02 PM

from a car dealer point of view, I think in 3 years the wholesale value of your car will be worth between 4000-5000 if you keep it under 100k miles. It mite gain value in about a 150 years from now.

Bacardi 151 01-13-2012 03:40 PM

Vote for cash for clunkers 2.0...

03Xtype 01-13-2012 03:48 PM

I 2nd that vote

FloridaJag 01-13-2012 09:33 PM

My view is that when maintenance costs exceed $200.00 per month, its time to look for a different car.

I bought my S-type in February 2009. Since that time, I have put about $4000.00 into the car, so I'm at about $115.00 per month. Hopefully next year won't be as bad as the last.

In the last three years, I have had the following done to the car (excluding oil changes):

Windshield wiper motor
Tires and Alignment
Replace Brake Pads (self)
Replace Upper Radiator hose
Replace Battery
Replace Water Pump
Replace Serpentine Belt
Flush Brake Fluid
Transmission Service
Fuel Injection service
Replace upper and lower radiator hoses

From this point forward, I plan on turning the wrench much more frequently, which will reduce my costs.
Next item: Spark Plugs, valve cover gaskets.
Right Upper Control Arm
Rear brakes

The bottom line - these cars are a bit more expensive to maintain than a Honda, but infinitely more satisfying.

I could never imagine driving anything other than a Jaguar, regardless of the model (except the X-type and the XJ40).

They are cheaper to fix than a BMW or a Mercedes and have far more distinctive styling.

Driving a car like a Honda or a Toyota is plain boring.

Jaguar offers the best bang for the buck in the high end luxury arena.

I love driving this car and plan on keeping it for at least 5 more years, unless another Jag falls into my lap.

JagV8 01-14-2012 04:55 AM

As has been said, why sell at all unless it's uneconomic to keep it? (Be sure to factor in depreciation/financing both of the S-Type and any potential replacement car.)

There again, if lucky enough to have plenty of money, swap it if you feel like it (but knowing you'll lose on the deal).

Mikey 01-14-2012 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by FloridaJag (Post 454484)

In the last three years, I have had the following done to the car (excluding oil changes):

Windshield wiper motor
Tires and Alignment
Replace Brake Pads (self)
Replace Upper Radiator hose
Replace Battery
Replace Water Pump
Replace Serpentine Belt
Flush Brake Fluid
Transmission Service
Fuel Injection service
Replace upper and lower radiator hoses

Florida-

Most of the things you mention are routine replacements due to wear like tires and brakes or scheduled tasks that all cars are subject to. Not sure if that should be calculated as part of repair costs

clubairth1 01-14-2012 10:04 AM

OK in the US, you have ridiculously low fuel charges/taxes when taken in conjunction with debt and other aspects, if your Gov't ever has the b$*ls to decide to increase fuel taxes to our European levels then these cars will be relegated even more into a niche market.

I hope to god I don't live that long!!!
Let the free market work and GET THE GOVERNMENT THE HELL OUT OF MY LIFE!

Mikey 01-14-2012 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by clubairth1 (Post 454650)
I hope to god I don't live that long!!!
Let the free market work and GET THE GOVERNMENT THE HELL OUT OF MY LIFE!

Not to drift off topic- but do you believe that free enterprise could build and maintain roads more cost effectively than govvamint agencies? Honest answer please- no accumulating debts allowed.

JagV8 01-14-2012 10:53 AM

Well..... they're built and maintained by non-gov here. Almost all paid for by the gov. I think that's yes and no LOL

Tijoe 01-14-2012 10:15 PM

I've been working a lot in McAllen Texas - right on the Mexico border - and I swear that all the higher mileage (100K+ miles) and/or salvaged, V6 S-types and Lincoln LS's make their to this city. I have never seen such a high concentration of S-types, X-types and Linclon LSs. More than any other city I've been in.

I know of at least 20 of these cars for sale. For some reason, they typically are asking $2K more for these cars than I see listed on Kelly Bluebook or for sale in Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, or Austin. Perhaps there is a larger market for these cars in Mexico, so they can sell them for a higher price.

So it seems that at least in one place in the USA, the cars don't depreciate as much as elsewhere.

hafferf 01-15-2012 06:10 PM

Howdy Folks!!...:icon_beerchug:
Like some of you, I only drive mine about 5 grand a year. I take her out on nice days... and cruise around while enjoying the looks and comments. You don't see too many "S's" up here, especially "STR's". So their almost a novelty. I've had to spend a little jingwa on her, but nothing serious. The car was owned by a corporation and was well maintained. So to me the expenditures aren't that important. I'm not concerned that she is 7 years old. But what IS important... is that she's just different enough to be special. And unlike some high end cars, she's not like a "hind-end" where everybody has one. So if you still enjoy your Jag...Keep her, don't worry overmuch about what MIGHT happen to her, cause then you just borrowing trouble. Be happy while you have her, and if she "gives up th' Ghost"... just move on.

Drive On!!...:icon_headbang:
Fast Freddie :icon_patriot:

Bodyman 01-16-2012 08:45 AM

I can gaurantee, without doubt, they will never be worth more. That's because we own one. :icon_neutral:

Years ago, I was told I would never lose money on a Harley. I'd like to run into the person that told me that!!

Mikey 01-16-2012 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Bodyman (Post 455329)
Years ago, I was told I would never lose money on a Harley. I'd like to run into the person that told me that!!

This myth persists on many vehicles and is usually used by a husband trying to justify his new toy to the missus.

Michael Star 01-16-2012 09:12 AM

If I wanted to own a car that would be worth more than when I bought it and it was a Jaguar, it would have to be pre WWII one or maybe a D or E type. Hmm, come to think of it, a XJ220 would work as well. I take solace in that I am driving around a great deal of car for not much money.

Brutal 01-16-2012 10:27 AM

Keep the car and drive it into the ground. Just keep it up with maintenance and the smaller stuff(nondrivetrain) as needed. I just had my girlfriend buy a 2000 v6 stype for $2250 with 57,000 miles. Ive worked on since new and i bumped her price to 2250 from 2000k. Needs 2 front shocks($100ea), and heater control valve($75) and a small dent repaired in the right front fender. Otherwise its in showroom condition still and she loves. Big step up from her buick:)
she got rid of the buick and paid for the jag with the money