Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s-type-s-type-r-supercharged-v8-x200-15/)
-   -   Radiator Fan Running on. (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s-type-s-type-r-supercharged-v8-x200-15/radiator-fan-running-134166/)

Paul792 01-05-2015 04:37 AM

Radiator Fan Running on.

I have the radiator electric fan run on for a few minutes after turning off the ignition after a drive.

I would like to know if this is a normal safeguard? (it is summer here and temperatures are constantly above 30c). The temperature gauge stays just a touch under halfway. But I have read on the forum that the gauge is not a true indicator of temperature. I don't want to warp the cylinder head by ignoring what could be a potential problem. But, it does not appear to be overheating.

Perhaps others have faced this issue of the electric fan running on after turning off the engine.

Thanks any advice would be appreciated.

Paul

Grant Francis 01-05-2015 05:09 AM

In a word YES.

I would also be looking at a thermostat replacement, age related.

The radiator may be coming up for a clean out, or replacement. They are an Alloy/Plastic unit, and cleaning is not a simple process as it was with the old Copper/Brass units.

The reading on the temp gauge is CORRECT. It is an indicator of sorts, and I believe a step backwards for all manufacturers.

Take the time to get down on your back and look thru the lower intake "mouth" and note that the a/c core that is in your face, may be blocked with road "muck". My 2000 was, and a careful clean out has seen my fan run ON cease, but the temp gauge is still the same. Lots of small stones, feathers, small leaves, etc, jammed in the fins, and 4 hours of CAREFUL digging had them removed without incident.

abonano 01-05-2015 09:04 AM

If the fan is running after the car is shut off on a constant basis - you have a potential problem that like Grant Francis said - requires looking into..

Paul792 01-05-2015 05:22 PM

Thanks Grant. That is a great idea to manually clear out the radiator fins. Somehow spending four hours on my back sounds wonderful. But four hours under the car is a lot less appealing.

Grant Francis 01-06-2015 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by Paul792 (Post 1133134)
Thanks Grant. That is a great idea to manually clear out the radiator fins. Somehow spending four hours on my back sounds wonderful. But four hours under the car is a lot less appealing.

Maaaaaate.

ALL Jags are female, think about that very carefully. I will not explain it for fear of getting banned.

JD tied to the tool trolley placed nearby, LOW DOWN to avoid the syphoning efect, long thin plastic tube inserted into the top of said bottle, and the other end firmly gripped between your teeth.

Flat on your back, slurp away as you need, and time simply flies, trust me.

Beer can also be a suitable substitute.

Paul792 01-09-2015 03:53 AM

Grant, thumbs up for the under car liquid refreshment method that you employ.

I can really only get to the core of the air conditioner condensor and not the radiator and it would be useful to blow compressed air from the other side but unless the radiator comes out of the car this seems impossible. I suppose the condensor is protecting the radiator from most blockages.

Did you go to the trouble of pulling out the radiator or, just work at the front lower end where most of the insects and road debris accumulate. I really hope not to have to take the radiator out of the car.

Thanks Paul

Grant Francis 01-09-2015 04:34 AM

Glad I could assist with keeping you hydrated.

No way, I simply attacked the a/c condensor, and left it at that. OK, I do concede that some small bits of backsides has passed thru, but in the big scheme I reckon the restriction is limited.

This also achieved the desrired result on the X300 a few years ago, and when I did pull that radiator, the core was almost sqeaky clean.