Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s-type-s-type-r-supercharged-v8-x200-15/)
-   -   Rear Shade Retrofit (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s-type-s-type-r-supercharged-v8-x200-15/rear-shade-retrofit-220266/)

Arelem 07-09-2019 11:11 AM

Rear Shade Retrofit

Hi.

Has anyone tried to retrofit the power rear sunshade to an S-Type that didn't have it installed from the factory? Is it possible and what might it entail?

Thanks.

abonano 07-09-2019 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Arelem (Post 2096360)
Hi.

Has anyone tried to retrofit the power rear sunshade to an S-Type that didn't have it installed from the factory? Is it possible and what might it entail?

Thanks.

Unthethered access to a donor vehicle, time, patience and money.

Staatsof 07-09-2019 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by abonano (Post 2096416)

LOL! So fuggetaboutit then!

Arelem 07-09-2019 04:54 PM

You know, a lot of replies I have gotten to questions I have asked were snarks, sarcasm and in the vein of "you are so stupid". But this one takes the cake because its from a website moderator.

I've about had it with this forum and its crappy attitude. I watched questions about premium gas go on and on with a lot of back and forth, but civilized answers on it. But I ask a question that doesn't have a simple answer, and I get stuff like this.

This just isn't worth it to ask a simple question or for some basic help. Being an IT guy, I get enough BS shoveled on me with attitudes.

abonano 07-09-2019 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Arelem (Post 2096514)
You know, a lot of replies I have gotten to questions I have asked were snarks, sarcasm and in the vein of "you are so stupid". But this one takes the cake because its from a website moderator.

I've about had it with this forum and its crappy attitude. I watched questions about premium gas go on and on with a lot of back and forth, but civilized answers on it. But I ask a question that doesn't have a simple answer, and I get stuff like this.

This just isn't worth it to ask a simple question or for some basic help. Being an IT guy, I get enough BS shoveled on me with attitudes.

Um, excuse me. You asked a question and I gave you a legit answer.

I'm sorry if I have to break it down further for you.

First, the rear sunshade option on the S Type was rare. So... first, you'll need to find a donor car.

Then you need to remove the assembly, wires, connectors, screws, etc. from the donor car. (This is where time and unthethered access to a donor vehicle comes in handy)

Since they are rare they (for those who know what they have) will charge a premium. (That's where the money comes in)

So, hence if you didn't like my initial response to your question... too bad. I have personally (and continue to) contribute lots to this forum.

PS - I'm not a moderator. I give them all credit for all the crap (like yours) they have to contend with on the daily...

Cheers...

Staatsof 07-10-2019 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by Arelem (Post 2096514)

It was both funny and legitimate so maybe lighten up a bit?

These cars don't come with a wiring and communication harness that provides for every possible accessory which I think is going to be one of the biggest potential challenges. If they did I would like to have the electric folding mirrors and potentially the better cruise control though I've heard that it doesn't work all that well.

M-e-l-l-o-w 07-10-2019 04:24 AM

The rear sunshades are not listed in the official 2006 S-type accessories catalogue or the on-line official accessories catalogue.
This would tend to suggest that it was a factory fitted option only and would be quite hard to retro fit.
The parcel shelf will need to be one for a sunblind, and these are different depending on vin number, colour and if you have premium or standard sound system.
The switch is in the roof next to the front parking sensor disable switch, so one of these switch packs with the required switch would be needed as well.

In the electrical manual (page 163) it show that the switch is, unusually for Jaguar, switching the 12v positive to the blind, there is a control unit on the actual blind.

This is why it was suggested that the best and possibly only way to do this is to have a donor car of the same year, trim and audio spec. as your car and swap all the parts over.

Mellow

BlackKat 07-10-2019 11:05 AM

Hello Arelem,
I say go for it and don't look back. I see a few parts on ebay for a few dollars. These may not be the exact trim to what you already have but I'm willing to bet you can make this work.
Rear sun deck:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2003-2004-2...QAAOSwH2tbYQzm
Ceiling Console (yes its from an XJ but can you prolly make it work):
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2004-JAGUAR...YAAOSw4I1ZlKg5

What would be cool if you could get messages printed on the rear shade like "use your blinker" or "get off my butt". Unfortunately for me my tint is too dark for anyone to see. :)

Mikey 07-10-2019 12:41 PM

+1