S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rearview Mirror Re-attachment on '05 S-Type

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 12:25 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Rearview Mirror Re-attachment on '05 S-Type

I just had my interior review mirror come loose after a few 90 deg days. I'm the 3rd owner and have only had this car....errr AUTOMOBILE, for about 8 months. I wasn't aware this even had a rain sensing mirror but I can't find any posts with mirror mounts that look like mine. Way to over-engineer an accessory, JAGUAR, for minimal payback! If the lights came on with the wipers this may be somewhat useful. Sorry, I digress.

The mirror does not appear damaged, just the mounting adhesive to the windshield has failed. I haven't found any posts that address that....have I just missed them?

I'm also not clear on ways to detach the windshield mount portion from the mirror assembly in order to re-install.

Any DIY suggestions or is a glass shop appt in order?

Attached Thumbnails Rearview Mirror Re-attachment on '05 S-Type-mirror-mount-failure.jpg   Rearview Mirror Re-attachment on '05 S-Type-mirror-mount.jpg  
Old 04-21-2016, 01:40 PM
Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

You can buy a two-part adhesive that is specially for this problem on any make of car, not just Jags. Suggest you go to your local auto parts store and ask for Rear View Mirror adhesive. It comes with instructions. As to how to detach the mount from the mirror, I have no clue.

The following 2 users liked this post by baldeagle15:
S Daddy (04-21-2016), vlado (02-28-2019)
Old 04-21-2016, 01:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Mine is rain sensing and "just works" and has for the last 12 years. I don't agree that it's over-engineered let alone way over-engineered but let's just disagree. Never had it come off so don't know how to reattach but the above post looks promising or there are glass repairers who will already have the right glue etc.

The following 2 users liked this post by JagV8:
Jumpin' Jag Flash (07-02-2016), S Daddy (04-21-2016)
Old 04-21-2016, 07:59 PM

Thanks baldeagle15 and JagV8 for the responses. I already bought the "typical" rearview mirror adhesive from an auto parts store before I completely removed the assembly. This adhesive is only for a solid metal button, which in my experience is the standard for most cars that I've owned in the past. Sorry for the rant as millions of mirror mounts are so simple to repair as opposed to this one.

Just came back from a Safelite autoglass shop that said they've had NO LUCK in repairing either Jaguar or Audi rain sensing mirrors so will only recommend complete windshield replacement with pre-mounted mirror attachments.

Has anyone had any luck with a DIY adhesive as I’ve found several more forum posts with unsatisfactory results from anything found at auto parts stores?

Old 04-21-2016, 09:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't need a new windshield, just a new rain sensor chip that goes inside of the part that is glued to the windshield. The part is cheap.

Old 04-21-2016, 10:50 PM

99 kobra, the mounting ring glued to the windshield (pictured) fell off. I'm now looking for a permanent adhesive that another forum member has tried that lasts more than a few months.

The mounting ring is not a flat surface so it requires a horseshoe shaped bead of adhesive. The glass shop said that the last few they attempted with their "approved" adhesive failed as soon as they tried to mount the mirror assembly to the cured mount (48 hrs). It just didn't stick to the glass. Anyone?

Attached Thumbnails Rearview Mirror Re-attachment on '05 S-Type-rain-sensing-mirror-mount.jpg  

Last edited by S Daddy; 04-21-2016 at 10:52 PM.
The following users liked this post:
someguywithajag (09-11-2021)
Old 04-22-2016, 01:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

That's odd. My last Ford had its windscreen (windshield) replaced and the guy just removed the mirror from the damaged screen then glued it to the new one. Never had any problems, so the glue exists.

Here we have national chains who do this stuff all the time, as damaged screens are not rare. The mirror coming off an S-Type without an accident is, however.

The guy who fixed mine did it by the road side at my house.

Maybe call some more repairers?

Last edited by JagV8; 04-22-2016 at 01:51 AM.
Old 04-22-2016, 03:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 385 Likes on 310 Posts

I am intrigued by this situation.

First of all it is of paramount importance that the area of glass has to be 100% clean with no residues or any grease, even your "dry" fingers wiped across it.

The conventional way is to use the purpose made mirror fixing patches that most car parts shops supply. They also supply alcohol wipes with the patches for cleaning the glass although they are only small. I tend to use white spirit and then dry it off or put the hot air blowing on the screen to dry out the white spirit. But I've found that a warm screen with some heat on it, the adhesion works better.

These mirror fixing patches are pretty much just the same as double side body moulding tape. You know the kind of black foam strip on a roll they use for attaching chrome strips or badges? Same thing. Comes in 1/4", 1/2", 3/4", 1" etc widths. Infact you could try good body moulding tape and cut it to shape using a craft knife? Or buy a large enough mirror fixing pad and cut it the same way.

Just another idea.
I had already noticed the rear view mirror is quite a chunky item on mine.

Sorry I forgot.
You have to be meticulously clean and take your time !

Old 04-22-2016, 07:51 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the same thing happen to Geoffrey Mk.1 and I never did find a satisfactory solution. The horseshoe shaped mounting point is bonded onto the screen in the manufacturing process and on mine it looked like the mounting itself had cracked. I tried all sorts of things, even resorting to "no more nails" but the force needed to slide the mirror onto the mounting caused it to break off every time. Eventually out of desperation I tried silicone fish tank sealant and that held it. I've no idea how long for though as I was in the process of trading him in for Geoffey Mk2 so passed the problem onto the dealer.

Old 04-22-2016, 11:17 AM
Veteran Member

If sliding the mirror onto the horseshoe fitting caused it to break away, I would have tried gluing the whole thing preassembled onto the screen.

Another possibility if adhesion of the metal horseshoe is an issue is to bond a flat sheet of metal with a larger bonding area to the screen first to ensure good adhesion. The metal horseshoe will bond better to metal.

Old 04-22-2016, 03:34 PM

Thanks to all for the responses. I've now had 3 auto glass shops try to sell me a new windshield as they say they've not had much luck with repair adhesives on these rain sensing mirrors. Probably a warranty issue for them down the road.

It's time to try one of those 2-part products and mount the assembly complete so I don't risk shearing the ring off the glass to re-install.

Old 04-23-2016, 01:50 AM
Veteran Member

Yes a two pack epoxy adhesive is the route I'd be going.
The mirror assy would have to be held in place for sufficient time for the adhesive to set. But worth a try.

Old 02-20-2019, 08:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 99 kobra
You don't need a new windshield, just a new rain sensor chip that goes inside of the part that is glued to the windshield. The part is cheap.
how can I get the part??

Old 06-14-2019, 09:04 AM
Received 159 Likes on 100 Posts

FYI... I broke mine loose from the glass a few weeks ago.
I cleaned the parts w/acetone, carefully coated the rings surfaces w/gorilla glue, placed a drop cloth on the dash in case of dripping, held the ring in place for 5 minutes by hand (pushing firmly into the exact right position), let go and duct taped the ring to the glass for 2 days.

We've driven several hundred miles so far and it's seen heat & cold, and no problems so far.

IMO... the DIY-er needs to get away from the mindset it has be be done in a "proper way". Rubbish.. its a device that has mass and loading due to handling. It needs to hold in temp inversions and humidity inversions. Clean the parts well and use a high quality glue / epoxy is all you need to do.

btw... when a business fixes a part that could be used against them legally (rear view mirror).. they are going to default to a path that gives the least legal risk. That's why they want to replace the whole windshield.

Old 06-17-2019, 09:56 AM
Received 265 Likes on 203 Posts

See this official Jaguar technical service bulletin.

It describes the process for re-attaching the mirror to the screen using a special two-part adhesive, F246. I think you will find that this is about £20 for 50ml, it comes in two parts.

http://www.jagrepair.com/images/TSB/...w%20Mirror.pdf

Mellow

Last edited by M-e-l-l-o-w; 06-17-2019 at 10:02 AM.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:31 AM
Received 1,420 Likes on 1,063 Posts

Now that I had to remove my rear view mirror over the weekend I see the horseshoe metal attachment that is being referenced.

My mirror was shaking. Tried adjusting the metal tangs. Improved the loose mirror but not much.

I cut off a small piece of wood wedging and filled the gap between the mirror assembly and metal horseshoe attachment.

Did the trick plus the plastic cover hides everything.

If I was in your situation I would try the following:

DAP - Rapid Fuse gel (sold at Lowes) - this stuff is wickedly strong.

Cover the outside of the windshield to avoid direct sunlight after application. Set time is 30 - 180 seconds.

Hold it in place (or tape it - even better) until it sets.

Both horseshoe and windshield must be super clean and cool to the touch. You dont need a lot of rapid fuse.

Just a few dots across the horseshoe attachment.

Let it set for 24 hours before attempting to install and in your case I'd make sure those metal tangs are loose fitting (pull tangs outward) to ensure they dont get "hung up" and pull the horseshoe fitting off.

If you have a gap, which I'm sure you will use a wood wedge and cut to contour and fill the gap.

Hope the above helps.

The following users liked this post:
someguywithajag (09-11-2021)