S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removal of Engine Control Module (ECM) for cleaning.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 09:56 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tbird6
Looks like you found your problem!

I think the last guy did not know about the water problem and started removing/resizing the fuses.

Let us know if you get it fixed too!
I found holes in the trunk deal in the area where the water was coming in... Sadly, The car still didn't start and I still have the parking brake fault, gearbox fault, and the restricted performance... I will start testing the electronics starting with the relays and starter...😢

Old 03-31-2015, 09:57 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

*Trunk seal

Old 11-12-2018, 02:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chidestp
I found holes in the trunk deal in the area where the water was coming in... Sadly, The car still didn't start and I still have the parking brake fault, gearbox fault, and the restricted performance... I will start testing the electronics starting with the relays and starter...😢
Did you ever figure out what was causing the fault codes? My 2005 Stype has the same problem. When I got it from my parents it had 60k miles. Car still looks and smells like new. There was water in the trunk but not high enough to touch components and no visible water lines. The battery was checked and is good. Had it to the Jag dealer 4 times and they keep raping me with charges. They replaced plugs, coils, o2 sensor, and a couple of other.

At first the transmission felt like it was slipping and it would hit hard when shifting. I manually shifted it for about 3 months to bypass the problem. After having it in to Jag it stopped. Then I starting getting check engine lights that threw codes only jag could read. Now they are saying it COULD be the computer and will cost $2,000.

I found a guy online that will repair the computer for $250. I have taken the car apart and am down to 1 bolt in the center of the harness in the engine compartment. I read that it is a security bit torx t30. I just received the but and it does not appear to fit. Problem also is that the area is real tight and I can't see it clearl. Does anyone know what bit to use?

Thanks.

Old 11-12-2018, 05:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 606 Likes on 475 Posts

EJ: You may have multiple issues going on.

1. at 60K/10 years your transmission should have been serviced with the correct ATF and filter/pan combination; the TCU connector should have also been replaced as they can leak. The adaptations should also be reset with the latest TCU firmware installed. This may well cure your slipping/hard shifting issues...
2. With the exception of "flight recorder data" codes, virtually all Jaguar DTCs can be read with professional grade diagnostic readers. The iCarsoft i930, or LR v.20 come to mind. You might want to get the actual codes before sending the ECU off for a reman.

It does not appear that the dealer has done you any favors. I would be really reluctant to send my ECU off to someone to repair without having a firm handle on the problems and solid references on the tech firm doing the ECU work.

My $.0.02 anyway...

JR

Old 11-13-2018, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by S-Type Owner
EJ: You may have multiple issues going on.

1. at 60K/10 years your transmission should have been serviced with the correct ATF and filter/pan combination; the TCU connector should have also been replaced as they can leak. The adaptations should also be reset with the latest TCU firmware installed. This may well cure your slipping/hard shifting issues...
2. With the exception of "flight recorder data" codes, virtually all Jaguar DTCs can be read with professional grade diagnostic readers. The iCarsoft i930, or LR v.20 come to mind. You might want to get the actual codes before sending the ECU off for a reman.

It does not appear that the dealer has done you any favors. I would be really reluctant to send my ECU off to someone to repair without having a firm handle on the problems and solid references on the tech firm doing the ECU work.

My $.0.02 anyway...

JR
That might explain why in have transmission oil leaking. They said it is sealed and should not be replaced. I ordered everything OEM and will do that but is the TCU causing all the codes? Some of the faults are treated performance, DSC unavailable, the CEL, and other messages that don't come to mind. This had been going on for a year now and I've been blown $4000 on Jags service department.

I bought a security bit torx t30 on Amazon and it doeant seat. The space is very cramped so I can't see the bolt nor get to it with a "screwdriver". Is there somewhere to order the OEM wrench for the bolt that runs through the center of the harness?

I did buy this reader. Is it going to work does me?
ANCEL ANCEL
<i>4.3 out of 5 stars</i>  562Reviews 4.3 out of 5 stars 562Reviews
ANCEL AD410 Enhanced OBD II Vehicle Code Reader Automotive OBD2 Scanner Auto Check Engine Light Scan Tool (Black/Yellow)

Old 11-13-2018, 12:45 AM
Default ECM removal 2005 Jag S-Type

Originally Posted by EJ Montanez
That might explain why in have transmission oil leaking. They said it is sealed and should not be replaced. I ordered everything OEM and will do that but is the TCU causing all the codes? Some of the faults are restricted performance, DSC unavailable, the CEL, and other messages that don't come to mind. This has been going on for a year now and I've blown $4000 on Jags service department.

I bought a security bit torx t30 on Amazon and it doesn't seat. The space is very cramped so I can't see the bolt nor get to it with a "screwdriver". Is there somewhere to order the OEM wrench for the bolt that runs through the center of the ECM harness in the engine compartment?

I did buy this reader and was going to use it to read the codes. Will this project suffice?

?
ANCEL
4.3 out of 5 stars 562Reviews
ANCEL AD410 Enhanced OBD II Vehicle Code Reader Automotive OBD2 Scanner Auto Check Engine Light Scan Tool (Black/Yellow)
Thanks again!

Old 11-13-2018, 02:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

What are the actual codes?

Realistically if you can't DIY or find someone competent but much cheaper than a dealer these cars (as with other luxury cars) can be a money pit.

Old 11-13-2018, 10:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 606 Likes on 475 Posts

Hi, EJ:

1) The automatic transmission is NOT a sealed unit and Jaguar amended its service recommendations years ago. That said, what is more profitable for the dealer, selling transmission services or selling replacement transmissions?
2) The code reader you purchased is primarily for engine codes; it does not cover SRS/ABS, etc. A good Jag specific, or Jag code enabled scan tool is likely to run you $125-150 or more.

As JagV8 indicated above, if you are not able to do DIY on your S-type, then a good, competent independent repair facility is needed. You have not indicated your location in your profile, so we are at a loss to recommend any good "indys" to take a look at your car.

Post your location plus whatever codes you can access and the forum will no doubt try to help.

Old 11-13-2018, 03:37 PM
Received 1,420 Likes on 1,063 Posts

Originally Posted by EJ Montanez
That might explain why in have transmission oil leaking. They said it is sealed and should not be replaced. I ordered everything OEM and will do that but is the TCU causing all the codes? Some of the faults are treated performance, DSC unavailable, the CEL, and other messages that don't come to mind. This had been going on for a year now and I've been blown $4000 on Jags service department.

I bought a security bit torx t30 on Amazon and it doeant seat. The space is very cramped so I can't see the bolt nor get to it with a "screwdriver". Is there somewhere to order the OEM wrench for the bolt that runs through the center of the harness?

I did buy this reader. Is it going to work does me?
ANCEL ANCEL
<i>4.3 out of 5 stars</i>  562Reviews 4.3 out of 5 stars 562Reviews

You need a Torx Star 5 Point Tamper Proof Security Driver Bit - T30 size. Go on Amazon - that's where I ordered mine.