Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s-type-s-type-r-supercharged-v8-x200-15/)
-   -   Removing the Intake baffle quick vid...FAQ (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s-type-s-type-r-supercharged-v8-x200-15/removing-intake-baffle-quick-vid-faq-43655/)

vance580 10-11-2010 02:42 PM

Removing the Intake baffle quick vid...FAQ

Got a request to make a video for those that arent sure what to do to remove the intake baffle so made a quick video this morning. Couldnt get a good camera angle to show how I put on the lid of the intake box. But I take the box lid off of the intake hose to install it cause it gives me of an ability to move around. Enjoy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9Bv70zyYeM

jag79 10-11-2010 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by vance580 (Post 254673)
Got a request to make a video for those that arent sure what to do to remove the intake baffle so made a quick video this morning. Couldnt get a good camera angle to show how I put on the lid of the intake box. But I take the box lid off of the intake hose to install it cause it gives me of an ability to move around. Enjoy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9Bv70zyYeM

....Thanks soo much Vance for making the video! :icon_hyper: My only question is, Instead of removing the whole assembly, whats the easiest way to remove the air box lid cover? Lets put it this way which part of the tubing would best be removed 1st to get the air box lid cover off to get full access to the Baffle? :icon_pimp:

JagV8 10-12-2010 02:15 AM

Take off the whole part he's removed in the video.

Cadillac 10-12-2010 04:12 AM

Thanks, it will be FAQed :)

Michael Star 10-12-2010 08:41 AM

Does this give a benefit at all?

bfsgross 10-12-2010 08:47 AM

I didn't need to remove the entire air intake tube from the throttle body. Just unclip the top of air box, remove air filter, unscrew air baffle, wah-lah!

JagV8 10-12-2010 09:53 AM

A lot of the air boxes are a PITA to get the top off. Taking the intake off makes it easier :)

ChrisSTR 10-12-2010 11:44 AM

Cool. Thanks Vance.

vance580 10-12-2010 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by bfsgross (Post 255004)
I didn't need to remove the entire air intake tube from the throttle body. Just unclip the top of air box, remove air filter, unscrew air baffle, wah-lah!

This is the easiest way to remove the baffle. I took the whole thing off so I had more room to film, I didnt want the lid to keep coming down on me since I was doing this one handed. To install it I take the intake pipe off at the MAF so I basically just have the lid to get into place then I reattached the hose.
When I get a K&N I might remove the box and see what makes it so hard to reinstall and work on a fix.

jag79 10-12-2010 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by vance580 (Post 255127)
This is the easiest way to remove the baffle. I took the whole thing off so I had more room to film, I didnt want the lid to keep coming down on me since I was doing this one handed. To install it I take the intake pipe off at the MAF so I basically just have the lid to get into place then I reattached the hose.
When I get a K&N I might remove the box and see what makes it so hard to reinstall and work on a fix.

...Hey Vance, I heard mixed reviews about people using the K&N filter in their STR's and also the jag techs I spoke to recommended to stay away from using the K&N on the STR's because the oil on those filters starts messing with the MAF sensor and the throttle body starts accumulating the oily residue. I too had a K&N filter when I bought my STR second hand, and I just trashed mine and put in the OEm filter, wa lahh the car ran smoother and the throttle felt more responsive; hence I just lost out on the sound the K&N generates. But anyhow thats what I heard and experienced and if anyone has any insights on this please do share about the K&N filter on the STR.

later :icon_bike:

vance580 10-12-2010 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by jag79 (Post 255142)
...Hey Vance, I heard mixed reviews about people using the K&N filter in their STR's and also the jag techs I spoke to recommended to stay away from using the K&N on the STR's because the oil on those filters starts messing with the MAF sensor and the throttle body starts accumulating the oily residue. I too had a K&N filter when I bought my STR second hand, and I just trashed mine and put in the OEm filter, wa lahh the car ran smoother and the throttle felt more responsive; hence I just lost out on the sound the K&N generates. But anyhow thats what I heard and experienced and if anyone has any insights on this please do share about the K&N filter on the STR.

later :icon_bike:

I have also heard this which is why I dont have one in yet. I'm still on the fence and thinking about it. Will probably wait though cause thats $40 I could use towards high flow cats which is what I really want. Just gotta hope my hubs arent out of spec and should have an exhaust in my future.

Pushing_Tin 12-05-2010 05:21 PM

What does removing the baffle do exactly??

vance580 12-05-2010 06:13 PM

Lets a little more air into the intake. The baffle is controlled by a device that will push it open at wide open throttle but if you remove it you will get the extra air at all times.

Pushing_Tin 12-05-2010 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by vance580 (Post 278001)
Lets a little more air into the intake. The baffle is controlled by a device that will push it open at wide open throttle but if you remove it you will get the extra air at all times.

I wonder why it was designed that way? Is it quieter with the baffle closed most of the time? Did you notice a big noise or performance change?

vance580 12-05-2010 08:07 PM

I believe it was to quiet it down. I noticed a small increase in intake noise which I love. Very minimal performance gain as far as my butt dyno could tell. But it doesnt hurt anything and I like anything I can do to get more intake noise.