Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s-type-s-type-r-supercharged-v8-x200-15/)
-   -   Retiring the Old Girl at over 254K miles. (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s-type-s-type-r-supercharged-v8-x200-15/retiring-old-girl-over-254k-miles-178809/)

abonano 03-25-2017 07:35 PM

Retiring the Old Girl at over 254K miles.

Hi Guys,

So after an unfortunate mishap this week (which could've resulted in a much worse outcome) I have decided to retire my 2000 S Type with 254,810 on the odometer.

Basically, I was going about 20 mph at Newark Airport when the front driver's side ball joint literally sheared in half. Luckily I was able to get the car to stop and even more luckily no one was behind me.

After that experience it's time to move on as I will not throw any more money at the old girl.

So, instead of meddling with replacing the ball joint I swapped out the knuckle/spindle assembly to at least get the car onto my driveway, where the parting bonanza will begin.

Going to put up a separate post in the classifieds section but I cannot send this car off to the junkyard without at least helping some of our fellow members with parts they might need to keep their cars going.

Check my other post (I'll put up soon) for specifics of new, mint parts just recently installed that will be up for grabs.

Thanks guys for all your support over the years. Without this forum my car wouldn't have made it this far.

Now my search :icon_hunter: for a replacement Jaguar begins (X350/358 as I seriously miss my 2004 XJ8) in the meantime I'll have to rely on my 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse to get me around... (not for long hopefully)

kr98664 03-25-2017 11:28 PM

254K miles? For me, that's just getting broken in... :)

FWIW, I had the front left lower ball joint fail several years ago on my '02. Not quite as dramatically as yours, though. I'd call it more of a RLS issue, as in Random Lane Selection on the freeway. Didn't need my seat belt, as I was tightly puckered to the seat at the time. The good news is a local tire chain (Les Schwab in Oregon) easily fixed it for about $260. They fitted an aftermarket replacement ball joint, where I think the dealer can only replace the entire suspension arm ($$$).

Do you suppose the root cause for your car was a reaction to being in Newark? I'd hate to blame a perfectly good car for something that wasn't her fault.

Jon89 03-26-2017 07:33 AM

Well done! I acknowledge that there's no freaking way I will be keeping my S-Type for anywhere close to that many miles....

joycesjag 03-26-2017 09:21 AM

what a bummer Anthony, I knew you were trying to hit the 300k mark. Good to see you are going to stay with the marquee!

Thank you for all your help here in the S Type group. Your knowledge will be missed. Don't be a stranger!

abonano 03-26-2017 02:09 PM

Thanks guys.

Rest assured I'll still be a regular here on the S Type forum even though I'll be taking a short hiatus without a Jag.

JagV8 03-26-2017 02:13 PM

A car's life cut short :(

Well, not really!! Sad even so.

clubairth1 03-28-2017 10:51 AM

Man I was betting you would hit 300K too!!!

abonano 03-28-2017 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by clubairth1 (Post 1647595)
Man I was betting you would hit 300K too!!!

I was too.

Someone purchased the car today. Of course I replaced the entire knuckle/spindle assembly instead of fiddling with the ball joint.

Looks like he plans on driving it a while then parting it out. I know it had lots of life left but I was done...

Jumpin' Jag Flash 04-01-2017 12:57 AM

Wow, that was quick! Congrats on the sale. Hope you get the new Jag soon and are back on the forum quickly, Anthony. You did me a huge act of kindness in the past which I've not forgotten, so let me say thank you for that one last time before you go. Hope to see you here again soon, Steve.