Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s-type-s-type-r-supercharged-v8-x200-15/)
-   -   S type 2003 3.0 Audio (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s-type-s-type-r-supercharged-v8-x200-15/s-type-2003-3-0-audio-219719/)

trycons 06-27-2019 12:44 PM

S type 2003 3.0 Audio

Hello all, i want to upgrade my audio system in s type. I can normally change speakers in doors or i have to do some more jobs ? I want to add subwoofer and amplifier - it is even possible to orginal jaguar radio? Have someone do this ?

Datsports 06-27-2019 09:57 PM

Yes you can upgrade the speakers.
there are many 6x8" speakers to choose from .
you can use a high to low level converter to create RCA for an amp& sub .
It would help to know what audio set up you have .
There are a few options for your model .
primium and premium plus has an amp in the audio stack in the boot/trunk . And 6.5" sub woofers in the parcil tray/shelf.
if no amp you have a base setup .

M-e-l-l-o-w 06-28-2019 06:31 AM

The 'Premium sound' system had 'Alpine' badges on the speakers.
If you do not have these then it is the standard sound system.
You will find that the standard door speakers are the same as those used in the 2000's UK Ford Mondeo. (They even have Ford markings!) These are powered from the head unit.
If you have the premium sound system then they have Alpine speakers powered from the amp in the boot.
The audio to the amp in the boot goes from the head unit via the digital fibre optic d2b system. (Not a speaker output.)
There are two speaker plugs in the doors, each wired seperatly, one for the standard speakers from the head unit with two wires the other for the Alpine speakers from the amp in the boot with four wires. (However the front door speakers are bi-wired the rears are not.)
When the head unit detects the amp in the boot is fitted it turns off the head unit speaker outputs. (and adds 5 extra positions to the volume!)
The head unit is the same for standard or premium.

So if you want to update from standard to premium sound you need to fit it all, the amp, the speakers in all four doors and the sub woofer in the parcel shelf.
All the wires are in the car you just need the units.

However you can get a big improvement on the standard system by just changing the standard Ford Mondeo door speakers for better ones, in all four doors, but keeeping the rest standard.

Mellow

trycons 06-28-2019 08:27 AM

i got standard sound system, i think about not to change to jaguar's premium system, but to add sub and amp, and change the door's speakers

trycons 07-05-2019 09:45 AM

ref, what speakers for doors u recomend? and how to connect RCA conventer to head unit?

jya 08-01-2019 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by M-e-l-l-o-w (Post 2091266)
The 'Premium sound' system had 'Alpine' badges on the speakers.
If you do not have these then it is the standard sound system.
You will find that the standard door speakers are the same as those used in the 2000's UK Ford Mondeo. (They even have Ford markings!) These are powered from the head unit.
If you have the premium sound system then they have Alpine speakers powered from the amp in the boot.
The audio to the amp in the boot goes from the head unit via the digital fibre optic d2b system. (Not a speaker output.)
There are two speaker plugs in the doors, each wired seperatly, one for the standard speakers from the head unit with two wires the other for the Alpine speakers from the amp in the boot with four wires. (However the front door speakers are bi-wired the rears are not.)
When the head unit detects the amp in the boot is fitted it turns off the head unit speaker outputs. (and adds 5 extra positions to the volume!)
The head unit is the same for standard or premium.

So if you want to update from standard to premium sound you need to fit it all, the amp, the speakers in all four doors and the sub woofer in the parcel shelf.
All the wires are in the car you just need the units.

However you can get a big improvement on the standard system by just changing the standard Ford Mondeo door speakers for better ones, in all four doors, but keeeping the rest standard.

Mellow

That's a nice summary Mellow of how this thing has been engineered. Also saved me a bit of time trawling through the many posts on this topic for research.
I have been planning to upgrade for some time. Starting with just using the head units power and a nice pair of front splits did satisfy me for some time; sounds like its only a 2 channel? But lots of room for improvement of course.
Just sourcing all the Jaguar 'clip in' bits makes easy sense but for us overseas antipodeans paying to ship a pair of Jaguar subs is a waste. The Jaguar used parts market here is woeful and it looks like there are more up market/premium speaker offerings to the Jaguar Premium speakers.
For those that just want to improve the sound and not buy the Jaguar amp or subs, simple door speaker upgrades are a good start. There is some reasonable head unit power to drive these compared to other cars. I carefully pried off and used the original speaker clips for the front doors as well.

So to take it to the next stage I will need a pair of after-market subs, Jaguar amp and d2b cable plus looks like I need to change over to the other pre wired door speaker wires I noticed taped up there.

A few questions:
Are the rear subs just looped or are they separate channelled? Pre wired plug/s would be sitting on the rear parcel shelf. Factory subs look like they have a protective top housing.
Lots of S-Type premium amps for sale on fleabay but with different codes. Will all these S-Type amps work? Can x350 or X Type (different mounting bracket) work?
Which specific d2b cable will I need if I am keeping the CD stacker and Nav?
Do I also need any further wiring loom/plug as well considering my factory set up (photo of pre wired boot/trunk plugs attached)?

Many thanks

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...9409c2a610.jpg
JVC Splits
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...214879716e.jpg
Prewire cables
with