Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S-Type radio upgrade if you dont have factory navigation:

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 11:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
Default S-Type radio upgrade if you dont have factory navigation:

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO looking at the headunits, we have some really good updates lately.

The Pioneer App Radio has just been updated, and deserves a good look if you are an Apple Iphone fan. It is all software based, so updates are gonna happen pretty fast and i know the guys at pioneer who are part of the process and they are testing it with new things everyday. Alot of reviews online really talk down on the unit, but honestly if you know the limitations as they are now, you wont have any issues. ALSO OF NOTE- this unit only has 1 preout for running external amps or processors. If you dont know what that means, then it isnt a real concern for you. If you are not adding a bunch of amplifiers, you are fine.

Clarions new nx-501 has a bunch of new updates and is a serious contender, however their iphone/ipod integration needs some updating.

Pioneer's 930 is one of my favorite radios as of today. It just does everything well.

Kenwoods DNX6980 is another favorite of mine, due to some things that arent normally advertised. Had a buddy of mine with a 150 gig hard drive directly connected to the unit (he doesnt own an ipod, go figure) and this unit allows him a virtually unlimited amount of music to be connected via the rear USB port. Pandora App on this unit rocks as does the Pioneer too.

CES is just around the corner though, so as of right now, i only know of some updates coming that i can not talk about yet. But any of the units i mentioned would suffice most users.
I was asked on another thread about the current radios that i like, so i decided to put it here.

Just in case someone wants or has the same questions.

Last edited by phd12volt; 12-05-2011 at 11:33 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by phd12volt:
joycesjag (12-07-2011), SchultzLD (12-08-2011)
Old 12-07-2011, 06:37 PM
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for the information. As our S-types get a little age, and navigation/audio receivers become more advanced, I suspect many owners will be looking for upgrades. Given it is the holiday time, this may be just the reason some of use need to let go of a few green backs.

Personally, my S-type did not come with Nav. It does however have the Alpine system with amplifier and disc changer. Not the audiophile some here are, but I do like my music louder than many. I've always thought the audio was pretty good.

But, I want the navigation and I-phone integration. There is a posting in the FAQ for Chris STR where he installed a Kenwood DNX9960. See this link, https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...t-1-faq-54685/

Assuming I went with that DNX9960 or similar, and since I like my sound, I thought I could keep my speakers. Also, do not want to give up trunk space, so no sub enclosure. I was hoping that would mean just the head unit and I-phone cable, steering wheel module, and GPS antenna. Not clear on how to connect current speakers to new head unit.

Do these intial thoughts make sense? Can I go this direction and will it be worth the effort?

Old 12-08-2011, 06:33 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes you can keep your factory amplifier but you have to get LOC converters. I'm assuming, and this is just an assumption the factory amp isn't digital. I used this to install a Pioneer HU to my brother's factory Bose amplifier and it works extremely well.

Scosche OEA4 Factory Amp Interface Car Stereo Speaker Level

It's called a Scosche OEA4. It was nice because it has gain adjustments on it. I'm pretty sure it would work for you and save you a lot of time. I redid my whole sound system and even ran new speaker wires to all my new speakers and it was a PITA.

Old 12-08-2011, 10:15 PM

LOC converter yeh? Okay... would one be correct in assuming that the quality of the converter directly impacts the quality of the sound? Off to do some research. Thank You for the heads up on making the head unit work.

Old 12-08-2011, 10:49 PM
Veteran Member

if you have a good grasp on audio, you can wire the low level outputs directly.

Old 12-09-2011, 09:13 AM

My brothers audio sounds pretty good. There's no noise at all and its very clear. I mean, it matches OEM quality if anything else.

Old 12-09-2011, 09:14 AM

And I agree with Jason. But if you're a total newb or if your factory amp takes in a weird signal this makes life 10x easier for a meager 20-30 bucks.

Trending Topics

Old 12-14-2011, 11:02 AM
Default Prefer Nav at top of pod

S-type without factory nav are configured with radio below climate controls. So, simply replacing the existing radio with aftermarket nav looks like George's ride (photo below)

S-types with factory nav were configured with the nav at the top of the pod. Like the photo below.

So, the question would be, can an aftermarket nav be fitted into the top of the pod in an S-type that did not come with factory nav? Where/What becomes of climate controls?

Any ideas?

Old 12-14-2011, 11:03 AM
Default Photo that did not show

This is what factory Nav looks like

Attached Thumbnails S-Type radio upgrade if you dont have factory navigation:-s-type-nav.jpg  

Last edited by Xcellr8; 12-14-2011 at 11:15 AM.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:13 AM
Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

I bought the Pioneer AppRadio per phd12volt's recommendation on another thread and have to say I absolutely love it, but it only works if you have an iPhone to be its "brains." If you do not have an iPhone, then you will have to consider something else. Also, please be advised that (according to the guy at the stereo store) these cars have fiber optic wiring, so I had to buy an amp in addition to the radio to get it to work.
I know nothing of car audio so I hardly know what this means, but thats what he said and I bought a new amp.

I will post pics of it in my car hopefully by this weekend.

Old 12-14-2011, 11:24 AM
Default Fiber Optics?

Thank you for the reply. Glad to hear your experience. I've looked at the APPRADIO and agree it looks great. I do have an I-phone, so I knew that was an option. However, the appradio is lacking some of the bells and whistles that I think I'm interested in. So, I've put that option down the list a little, but am seriously considering the Pioneer AVIC series, Z130BT, Z120BT, X930BT, and X920BT.

My S-type came with the Alpine radio and amp. I was planning to use it. A couple of earlier post indicated that is possible. Not sure about fibre optics. I like the idea though if it can still be used.

I was going to attempt installation myself, but being an audio newbie, the fiber optics is adding to doubts.

I'll need more research and advice. Please chime in if you can help

Old 12-14-2011, 11:37 AM
Received 161 Likes on 56 Posts

PHD12Volt, can you please give me your PERSONAL review on the Pioneer AppRadio? I'm a research freek and I have to be honest, the reviews arnt all that great. Speed, functions, and screen crash are the three most comon things.

I really like this system, and am 75% sure this is my next buy for the Jag. The biggest selling point to me is the iPhone interaction, but the slow speed reviews worry me. Handsfree calling is a MUST for me.

Thanks for your advise.

Old 12-14-2011, 06:00 PM
Veteran Member

the nice thing about the app radio is the update capability of it. To be frank, yes the first version is/was quiky without the update.

If you want to ****** one up cheap, get it when the second version comes out. I am assuming pioneer has something up their sleeve come CES time in January.

I wont know what all is in store until i get to ces though.

I am away for work right now, and if you can hold off till saturday i will delve into the app radio comparison for you.

The following users liked this post:
SchultzLD (12-15-2011)
Old 12-15-2011, 09:14 AM

Fiber optic? Yuck. Just like BMW's. At least this thing has regular sized speaker holes.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just purchased my 2005 S-Type 4.2l a few weeks ago. It has the Apline system in it however I really want to upgrade to navigation with bluetooth. I also would prefer to use my alpine speakers and amp and factory steering wheel controls. I am concerned about the fiber optic thing. Does my system use the fiber optics? I would really appreciate any help or suggestions.

Old 12-15-2011, 11:27 AM
Received 161 Likes on 56 Posts

Jason, I am in no hurry right now at all. You’re going to do me a favor so please, take your time and do it at your leisure. Thank you very much. I can't wait to hear what you have to say about it.

Old 12-15-2011, 12:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Card Shark - yes it will have. Grab JTIS and do some reading

When you understand how it is hooked up, there are details of how to tweak it but you need the background understanding, really.

Card Shark (12-16-2011)
Old 12-16-2011, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Card Shark
I just purchased my 2005 S-Type 4.2l a few weeks ago. It has the Apline system in it however I really want to upgrade to navigation with bluetooth. I also would prefer to use my alpine speakers and amp and factory steering wheel controls. I am concerned about the fiber optic thing. Does my system use the fiber optics? I would really appreciate any help or suggestions.

What's your budget? It's really not all that hard just to remove the factory amp, and add an aftermarket amp. Steering wheel controls are easy, there's 2 I've found that work really well, they're called PAC's and extremely easy to install with a good brand like but not limited to Pioneer. I'm not sure what the rating on the factory speakers are but you can find out and match it pretty easy. Changing out the speakers are a piece of cake, running new speaker wire is not. I ran new wire because I had time to fiddle. You can easily run new wires to the factory wires through a harness. I really like the new speakers I put in my car, these things are well insulated and sound great when put a little effort into them.

Card Shark (12-16-2011)
Old 12-16-2011, 10:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

That sounds like a really expensive way to do what he wants. The fibre is no big deal.

Card Shark (12-16-2011)
Old 12-16-2011, 03:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I appreciate all the help. I will do some research and let you know what I come up with. Thank you again.

Quick Reply: S-Type radio upgrade if you dont have factory navigation: