Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s-type-s-type-r-supercharged-v8-x200-15/)
-   -   S-type supercharger removal (with pics) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s-type-s-type-r-supercharged-v8-x200-15/s-type-supercharger-removal-pics-109276/)

daxter1987 01-03-2014 07:16 PM

S-type supercharger removal (with pics)

Sooooo the title says it all I took a supercharger out (doesn;t happen every day customer's don't like spending that kinda money) and I took pics along the way, specially because the only thread I found similar to this one kinda had limited pics (great info though) but you can't never have too much info and too many pics.

Here is the link: jaghelp.com: 2006 S-type supercharger removal

Any comments to improve the article will be appreciated. I will be putting it back together hopefully on Monday (if I get the parts) and posting the pics of putting it back together. I worked hard on this so moderators pls faq :D

Robinb 01-04-2014 12:59 AM

Great set of pictures, daxter, thank you. I now have a much better idea of the steps involved and the complexity of this job. Short of a video showing your every action, this has to be as good as it gets.

Not having the experience that you and other forum members have, the only improvement that I can imagine would be labelled arrows identifying some of the bolt positions, hoses and other bits and pieces that you mention in each pic.

But that would double your work, and what is here already is much appreciated.

Michael Star 01-04-2014 08:24 AM

It looks like a daunting task, but if you take your time and label things, it can be done in a day.

daxter1987 01-04-2014 12:34 PM

Depends on what you mean by day. As I put the pics together and described what I did I thought, damn it sounds much easier than it is. Specially the 5th bolt in the supercharger, I have small hands and thin arms, I don't see how anybody that's "average" would've done it... It took me about 4 hours to take it apart, but I was also taking pics and going slow to make sure I didn''t miss anything, and I am a professional mechanic with every tool available. All I'm trying to say is tht it looks easier than it is :D

Michael Star 01-04-2014 12:44 PM

Did you do the cut on the back bolt hold for the supercharger? That made install much easier. The bolts that I hated the most were the two below the elbow that you have to contort to get to

daxter1987 01-04-2014 08:19 PM

Those weren't that bad. No I did not cut any bolts, the one that was a pain in the ass was the center one (you can see it on the last supercharger pics). the only other pain in the ass was the egr valve, I tried many was before figuring out the way I described. If I ever take one apart again it'll take me much less. Taking the EGR completely out makes it easy to access the side bolts.

JagV8 01-05-2014 09:36 AM

I'm impressed. waaayyyy beyond my abilities.

clubairth1 01-05-2014 07:12 PM

2 Attachment(s)
For people who are interested this is a very good suggestion from Brutal.

See picture below:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...1&d=1388970720

clubairth1 01-05-2014 07:18 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Very Interesting! The 2006 inter-coolers have raised fins. Maybe for extra cooling? Much different than the earlier inter-coolers.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...1&d=1388971083

JimC64 01-05-2014 07:44 PM

FAQ'd Daxter, thanks for taking the time to make this
post, appreciated by all.......:icon_beerchug:

Cambo 01-05-2014 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by clubairth1 (Post 884706)
Very Interesting! The 2006 inter-coolers have raised fins. Maybe for extra cooling? Much different than the earlier inter-coolers.

Those are the same intercoolers as used on the Range Rover 4.2's (since the beginning) & were also fitted to the XF's, and a few of the later S-Types.

Not sure about any extra cooling effect from the increased surface area, maybe...?

The Range Rover intake tube was also finned like that, but you couldn't see it under the engine cover, so the S-Type & XF kept the smooth tube I guess for aesthetic reasons.

Could be that JLR just ran out of the plain intercoolers, but had plenty of the finned ones left in stock?

Michael Star 01-06-2014 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by daxter1987 (Post 884259)
Those weren't that bad. No I did not cut any bolts, the one that was a pain in the ass was the center one (you can see it on the last supercharger pics). the only other pain in the ass was the egr valve, I tried many was before figuring out the way I described. If I ever take one apart again it'll take me much less. Taking the EGR completely out makes it easy to access the side bolts.

The older I get, the more I realize it is just easier to take everything out instead of trying to work around it! I was really worried I was going to snap one of those small EGR bolts so I was hitting them with penetrating oil a few days in advance.

Michael Star 01-06-2014 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by JagV8 (Post 884435)
I'm impressed. waaayyyy beyond my abilities.

You would be surprised what you can do! This site (and members) are a great support if you want to jump into most any repair job on your car. The trick is to go slow, label everything, and have a tool store close by.

Doryphoros86 01-06-2014 04:38 PM

Wow, what a write-up! Thank you for posting. Jaghelp.com bookmarked for future repairs!

just rob 01-06-2014 09:48 PM

Would be nice to hot tank those intercoolers, get some efficiency and power back.

JagV8 01-07-2014 01:23 AM

Just need more flow, cooler flow, bigger intercoolers or better yet less heat due to SC.

just rob 01-07-2014 01:50 AM

That oil film reduces intercooler efficiency quite a bit not to mention the blow-by oil mixing with the intake charge reduces effective octane and encourages det.

JagV8 01-07-2014 06:41 AM

There's hardly any oil so it's hard to see it affecting octane in any way that matters. Do you have evidence?

It's also hard to see you being right about the thermal issue as oil is quite good at heat conductance - it's actually used to cool the engine. Again, evidence for it being an effect big enough to matter?

just rob 01-07-2014 10:29 AM

Water is used to cool the engine through the cooling system. Oils thermal transfer properties are poor compared to bare aluminum. It forms a barrier that slows heat transfer. As far as charge contamination anything that acts to affect the ratio of the air fuel mix is going to cause power loss. But with that said you're only going to experience problems with these effects at the higher end of the performance envelope.

JagV8 01-07-2014 11:21 AM

Maybe but overall is there any effect that actually matters? I really doubt it. Especially since we know the same basic engine can do 600HP with a TS. That means there's no big issue here surely.