Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s-type-s-type-r-supercharged-v8-x200-15/)
-   -   S-type transmission (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s-type-s-type-r-supercharged-v8-x200-15/s-type-transmission-214259/)

rgrow3446 02-21-2019 08:10 PM

S-type transmission

I am a new member, hoping to get some feedback on this problem. I have a 2003 S-Type. The transmission was recently overhauled and was told it was as good as new and had a warranty with it. The problem is when downshifting from second to first, nearly every time there is a very noticeable clunk. They have pulled it out five times, changed out valves and anything likely to cause this problem. These people are experienced with this transmission. They say the same tranny is used on many European cars, such as Land Rover, BMW, Volvo etc. Well, they are stumped any help would be appreciated.

Richard

scottjh9 02-21-2019 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by rgrow3446 (Post 2030719)
I am a new member, hoping to get some feedback on this problem. I have a 2003 S-Type. The transmission was recently overhauled and was told it was as good as new and had a warranty with it. The problem is when downshifting from second to first, nearly every time there is a very noticeable clunk. They have pulled it out five times, changed out valves and anything likely to cause this problem. These people are experienced with this transmission. They say the same tranny is used on many European cars, such as Land Rover, BMW, Volvo etc. Well, they are stumped any help would be appreciated.

Richard

Did they do a reflash(program) of the trans control module...it also has a very specfic adaptation procedure...the pdf procedure is in the stickies i believe....it takes a bit of time to do the procedure as you drive....if they do not have jlr sdd capability then it was not programmed...ask them

Datsports 02-22-2019 01:02 AM

Only the hardware is the same as other brands . The software is unique to jaguar .
And this sounds like the lurch to me . And genraly this is cured with the latest software update and adaptions reset .

then a tediously long post adaptions relearn procedure !
as mentioned above .

scottjh9 02-22-2019 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Datsports (Post 2030767)
Only the hardware is the same as other brands . The software is unique to jaguar .
And this sounds like the lurch to me . And genraly this is cured with the latest software update and adaptions reset .

as mentioned above .

Tedious is right Datsports...i had my son help me and is was still a beast

JagV8 02-22-2019 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Datsports (Post 2030767)

That's not been needed for many years, has it? They put proper adaptation support into IDS/SDD.

Datsports 02-22-2019 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by JagV8 (Post 2030942)
That's not been needed for many years, has it? They put proper adaptation support into IDS/SDD.

your correct the procedure has been up dated , in the sence that you no longer need two people and a laptop to carry out a relearn .
but the trans is still left in a state of stupid/dumb until a great number of kms/miles are covered ,
in multiple drives , and multiple dive styles . You still have to leave S button off for the duration .and no flooring it .
just light duties .
This makes it hard to determine if there is problem or not during this time . In my case I swore there was a problem .
but there turns out there was not . It just needed time to learn .
mine took a lot longer to relearn than the specified estimate miles instructed by Jaguar .

scottjh9 02-22-2019 01:18 PM

it has to adapt one way or the other i guess....I was using sdd version 131 so the 2 man procedure is still in that version...it only took about 30 minutes...the hard part is finding a road that fits the needs of the procedure...basically traffic free...we did it at night and it worked beautifully

JagV8 02-22-2019 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Datsports (Post 2030964)
but the trans is still left in a state of stupid/dumb until a great number of kms/miles are covered ,
in multiple drives , and multiple dive styles . You still have to leave S button off for the duration .and no flooring it .
just light duties .

Are you sure? That sounds like the situation many years ago but not as it should be now.

Might you have (or have had) something that interfered? No-one else seems to have reported this.

Even in the old days it was only a few hundred miles to not drive madly or with S.

Datsports 02-22-2019 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by scottjh9 (Post 2030966)
it has to adapt one way or the other i guess....I was using sdd version 131 so the 2 man procedure is still in that version...it only took about 30 minutes...the hard part is finding a road that fits the needs of the procedure...basically traffic free...we did it at night and it worked beautifully

surprising actually yours took only 30min , though i suspect you mean the laptop part of the job .
as jaguar say's 300-400miles to relearn . mine took a lot longer , though the laptop part is now redundant .

your car is a lot later than the OP's and mine . so yours requires the later SDD software .
the latest for mine is IDS v118.
the latest for yours is SDD v144 so i suggest you get an update on your JLR laptop.

JagV8 02-22-2019 01:51 PM

It's my understanding that once the clutches have been adapted such as by that IDS process you can just drive the car as you wish. Is there a TSB later than that adaptation process saying that's not so?

Datsports 02-22-2019 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by JagV8 (Post 2030976)
Are you sure? That sounds like the situation many years ago but not as it should be now.

Might you have (or have had) something that interfered? No-one else seems to have reported this.

Even in the old days it was only a few hundred miles to not drive madly or with S.

you got me , you could be correct i may have gone too hard too soon .i floored it once and with terrible consequence!
it felt like first and reverse engaged at once after take off and actually locked up the rear wheels . thats what i mean by stupid /dumb . it does not know better at this point , and may have extended my relearn . though the shifts were often hard or late prior to this also .
its sweet now thankfully .

Datsports 02-22-2019 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by JagV8 (Post 2030988)
It's my understanding that once the clutches have been adapted such as by that IDS process you can just drive the car as you wish. Is there a TSB later than that adaptation process saying that's not so?

i have not seen one . but my experience with mine tells me its not ready to just drive as you wish .

scottjh9 02-22-2019 02:59 PM

I also have sdd 154 and the 2 man procedure is part of it also....right at the beginning it has the appx time needed...same procedure as 131...so i have plenty updated programming...i just had 131 at the time....i was going to redo the adaptation with 154, but it was the same....using the sdd procedure just pinpoints the parameters quicker than random driving