S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sat Nav touch screen retrofit completed - with pics.

Old 07-20-2012, 03:22 PM
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Sat Nav touch screen retrofit completed - with pics.

Hi everyone, just thought this may be of interest to some of you.

Here are some pics of the touch screen navigation retrofit I completed yesterday.

The car didn't have any pre-wiring, no cd changer, nothing at all in the boot. But this retrofit worked like a charm with the help of a custom plug and play wiring loom that can be made up at home!!
Instructions for the loom are over on the UK forum in the x-type section. (loom is identical) the loom was made up for me by jostaffs on the UK forum.

So for your viewing pleasure, here's my retrofit:

1. The standard climate control unit and stereo

2. Start by removing the cup holder, one of the screws for the centre console is hidden under here:

3. Remove the screw under the cup holder and the one located in the main compartment at the back left.

4. Lift out the centre console and unplug the 12v socket and set the console aside

5. Now remove the trim from around the gear stick. It just pops up. I lifted the ashtray and pulled gently from the front to start with. Then work your way round.
You could also use a flat blade screw driver, protected with a cloth to prevent scratching. It's held in place with 4 clips. 2 front, 2 back.
You can see the 4 locations of the clips at each corner of the gear selector in the second picture for your reference.

6. Start to pull the main surround away. This just unclips from several locatons. A couple at the top, a couple on the sides and a couple near to the park brake lever.

7. Unbolt the four 7mm bolts holding the unit in place and slide out. Disconnect all the wires.
You will also need to unscrew the bottom switch pack that houses the hazzards. This will need to be screwed on to the bottom of the the nav screen unit. just 2 torx screws for this, no need to unlug it from anywhere.
SORRY - No pics for this part :-(

8. After you've routed the loom, plugged in the DVD, plugged all the cables into the nav screen and then plugged in the RCCM, give it a go, to make sure it works before bolting it all back together!

9. Secure the Nav screen in place

10. Do the reverse of the above to put everything back.......

11. Sit back and enjoy!!!!!!!!!!

Tris

The following 7 users liked this post by TristanC:
Axle (08-11-2015), Datsports (06-17-2016), julialaue (03-11-2019), Jumpin' Jag Flash (09-11-2016), OxfordTheCat (07-23-2012), Panthro (06-30-2016), RDMinor (04-29-2013) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-22-2012, 12:10 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Hi m8 Im trying to do the opposite way

Im trying to swap from navigation unit to not navigation unit.
Could u tell me how did u manage all the wires cause my connection do not match.

Old 07-22-2012, 12:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Has been covered multiple times, with lots of details. Worth reading

Old 07-23-2012, 09:08 AM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Tristan,

I'm looking at doing the same to my vehicle.

Looks very nice.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by OxfordTheCat
Thanks Tristan,

I'm looking at doing the same to my vehicle.

Looks very nice.
No worries - I noticed a few people have done the retrofit on their S-Types, but there were no pics. I like to see pics and like to share

Let us know how you get on - jostaffs is the "go to" man for a loom if you don't fancy tackling it yourself.

Tris

Old 07-23-2012, 12:33 PM

My thread has not been covered at all! There is so much about changing the not sat-nav to sat nav but not opposite way plus nobody, nobody at all left any schematic of wires what should I connect???? Its so sad when others just ignore u . cheers

Old 07-23-2012, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by kkoala
My thread has not been covered at all! There is so much about changing the not sat-nav to sat nav but not opposite way plus nobody, nobody at all left any schematic of wires what should I connect???? Its so sad when others just ignore u . cheers
I don't think anyone is ignoring you! JagV8 answered above saying it's been covered multiple times on the website, just do a search.

If I knew the answer I would have briefly explained it here for you, but JagV8 gave an answer above.......

Old 07-23-2012, 01:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Perhaps I needed to add (what seemed obvious) that to go the opposite way just see what was needed to go the usual way and invert it.

(Seems an odd thing to want to do, though!)

Old 07-23-2012, 01:22 PM
Received 4,435 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Don't forget that this is a forum, it's not a paid support service, we don't have operators standing by waiting for your call mate...

Nobody answers because;

1. They don't have the answer.
2. It's probably not been done before
3. It makes no sense...

All I can tell you, is that i'm not aware of anyone who's done it that way, hence nobody "left any schematic" sorry but that's the situation...

Thanks for dragging Tristan's thread off topic...

The following users liked this post:
Jumpin' Jag Flash (08-16-2015)
Old 07-23-2012, 01:41 PM
Received 6,241 Likes on 5,442 Posts

I'm with JagV8 if there is a how to to go from no nav to nav it should be easy enough to figure out how to go backwards.

Old 07-24-2012, 10:48 AM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I do have to ask:

Why would you be trying to remove the nav and retrofit with an older stereo instead?

Old 07-24-2012, 03:34 PM
Default sat nav

sat nav from jaguar is so crap.Its not even the graphic which is really poor but the way of finding the route leaves a lot to say...and I got the newest one 2011/2012 cd and this not gives me changes what have been made 3 years ago...
I bought kenwood unit with garmin, and it lets me to add the side camera what is the really good function for overtaking in Europe (I live in the UK and drive left side).
What Im trying to say this is the equipment from 2003 and probably in that year it was really tool, but this was 9 years ago...

Old 07-24-2012, 03:53 PM

sat nav from jaguar is so crap.Its not even the graphic which is really poor but the way of finding the route leaves a lot to say...and I got the newest one 2011/2012 cd and this not gives me changes what have been made 3 years ago...
I bought kenwood unit with garmin, and it lets me to add the side camera what is the really good function for overtaking in Europe (I live in the UK and drive left side).
What Im trying to say this is the equipment from 2003 and probably in that year it was really tool, but this was 9 years ago...
I've not had mine in long, but so far I find the directions extremely good, all the updated new roads appear on my 2012 DVD map. I have a TomTom one and sometimes have used the sat nav on my iPhone. All of which are much of a muchness.

It's each to their own I suppose, but I find it very good thus far. Certainly comparable to my experiences with the TomTom. At the end of the day, it's there as a guide to help you along, not as a gospel to follow to the tee.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:05 AM
Default sat-nav

Im looking to find some car electrician, so he ca rewire it....its hard to find any right information at this forum, sorry

Old 07-25-2012, 08:43 AM
Received 4,435 Likes on 2,421 Posts

....its hard to find any right information at this forum...
I'm sorry we don't live up to your expectations.

The following 2 users liked this post by Cambo:
Aarcuda (08-11-2019), macbinary (11-24-2019)
Old 07-28-2012, 04:36 PM
Default double din for jaguar with sat-nav unit already fitted.

Because I could not find any info at this forum I try to answer myself and other members having the same problem.
I checked the technical info about my model and it looks like it has the rccm module fitted above the glove box. The pin are exactly the same like on my separate climate control unit, what I bought from the different model( without sat-nav fitted). There is a plenty of cable as well.It only needs to be removed and you can connect those cables straight into your separate climate unit.Wolla! it works. The only other things is the harness for stereo.Because the plug is different from the harness supllied for s-type. I have done the search and I found the adapter for x-type what is looking just fine. Im not quite sure regarding the pins, but I will check it out and let you know, if you are interested.
This is the link for the harness:
Buy PC2-81-4 Jaguar S Type X Type Radio ISO Harness adaptor

This is what I bought before( was supplied with the steering wheel adapter)
Autoleads PC99-X07 Jaguar S-Type Stalk Steering Wheel Control Adaptor

On the picture below is the audio connection from my car to the sat-nav unit

Attached Thumbnails Sat Nav touch screen retrofit completed - with pics.-imag0059.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by kkoala:
Datsports (08-20-2015), Norri (07-28-2012)
Old 07-28-2012, 05:00 PM
Received 6,241 Likes on 5,442 Posts

Please let us know how you get on.

Old 07-28-2012, 08:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 6198
Size:  19.3 KB

Really nice job TristanC thanks for sharing!

Kkoala - please keep us in the loop as to how you get on with yours, perhaps start your own specific thread?

The following users liked this post:
Lagold (07-28-2016)
Old 08-17-2012, 07:38 PM
Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts

newby here, but where did you find a Nav unit? if you dont mind me asking

Last edited by Safi; 08-17-2012 at 07:41 PM.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:42 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Well I have the Nav unit, but it's very convenient to use the Garmin since I can take it with me in other vehicles. The Jag unit doesn't interface to a laptop etc. maybe later units can interface via USB to your phone etc.. The main advantage of the Nav screen is the phone book/blue tooth which works with my droid phone. Pity I can't play music via the blue tooth. Will have to get te ACM for that!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sat Nav touch screen retrofit completed - with pics.