Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s-type-s-type-r-supercharged-v8-x200-15/)
-   -   Stereo and Amp Question (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s-type-s-type-r-supercharged-v8-x200-15/stereo-amp-question-135006/)

Cartierusm 01-17-2015 02:50 PM

Stereo and Amp Question

Ok I'm a noob on the forum and I have searched, but still have a couple questions.

Just pickup a used 2001 Jaguar S Type with V8, Premium Sound and Nav.

I want to replace the stereo.

I've noted a wiring harness adapter is hard to find but a 86-04 Ford Harness should work.

Other than that it seems pretty easy as in this year the climate controls won't get messed up?

I guess my only question is, is the current premium stereo installed have built in amps or are they outboard?

Thanks.

JagV8 01-18-2015 10:00 AM

Never mind that till you've checked and probably changed the timing chain tensioners!

Cartierusm 01-18-2015 12:50 PM

@JagV8, is that something that goes bad quite often?

I'm not going to change the stereo unless I can find adapter cables as I would want to put the stock stereo back some day. I found two of the cables from a Ford kit, but not the others.

JagV8 01-18-2015 02:14 PM

The originals will fail and write off the engine. You're on borrowed time

Cartierusm 01-18-2015 06:53 PM

Ok thanks. I'll check them out.

Cartierusm 01-19-2015 02:53 AM

Ok found the electrical schematics and see that the head unit is separate on my premium system from the center fill amplifier and the sub-woofer amplifier.

So my two questions are:

1. where are these amps located?
2. Most after market head units only have 4 ouputs, such as front left, front right, rear right and rear left. So when I get my after market unit I figure it will have amplified power out for FR, FL, RR, RL and then pre-outs for the same. So I should wire the FR, FL, RR, RL to the powered outputs and then wire the center fill speakers with Pre-out for FR and FL, then wire the subwoofers to the pre-out for RR and RL?

Am I on track?

Paul792 01-19-2015 04:04 AM

This is from the Jaguar s type workshop manual page 116, under audio and communication system.
"The Premium Sound System components differ to
the base system as follows: ....
¥ Two active center fill speakers (with amplifier)
¥ Active sub-woofer enclosure mounted under
the rear parcel shelf ..."

The link to quote and manual in pdf is: http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Auto...G%20S_Type.pdf

I hope this helps.

Cartierusm 01-20-2015 12:02 AM

yes, thanks. that's the one I found.

Cartierusm 01-20-2015 01:11 AM

Ok So I'm trying to decipher the schematic and have a couple of questions.

1. Wires going directly to the speakers, how do i determine which is positive and which one is negative.

2. Some of the plugs are split up, so some wires on one plug go to some of the wires for the amp and another plug has the rest of the wires going to the amp. I take it that's normal? Cause when trying to determine what plugs refer to locations on the schematic sometimes there's more than one location it can refer to.

3. Technically there's 4 wires going to the amp, one braided line and then 3 others. How do i determine which goes where on the new stereo. I take it two wires are for the pre-amp signal and the other two are power?

4. Should I be concerned with making sure any wires get hooked up that affect condition of the car, such as a wire on the schematic labeled as 'Security System Radio Ground Sensing'.

5. There are extra wires on the car that don't show up in the schematic. So I assume I won't really need those anyway. As long as I hook up the wires I need for the new stereo?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Cartierusm 01-20-2015 03:40 AM

Ok that was a lot of questions. I think I have most of it figured out.

For the speaker polarity they all use variants of White and Slate. So am I correct in thinking White is positive and Slate is negative?

For the amp wires, braid, yellow, white and slate; white is positive, slate negative, braid ground to chassis of head unit and yellow being control wire for when the car power is on, what the head unit labels as "connect to terminal controlled by the ignition switch".

I think the only thing I'm confused about now is if there's wires that need to be hooked up to keep the cars integrity, such as:

what is the audio control protocal network, and security system radio ground sensing?

Cartierusm 01-21-2015 12:17 AM

Ok so I figured out more. So I was correct slate is negative and white is positive.

The only thing I'm confused about is the wiring for the amp. It has braid, white, slate and yellow. But I'm told the yellow is a control wire. So how does it have two channels going out and one RCA input from the stereo.

Any help would be appreciated.

mikchek 07-29-2018 01:48 PM

did you ever figure it out Cartierusm?

mikchek 08-07-2018 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by JagV8 (Post 1142218)
The originals will fail and write off the engine. You're on borrowed time

i was told by a shop that you don't have to worry about the timing chain tensions on a s type :(

S-Type Owner 08-07-2018 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by mikchek (Post 1942734)
i was told by a shop that you don't have to worry about the timing chain tensions on a s type :(

Then I would find another more competent shop...

JR

DigitalDisaster 08-07-2018 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by mikchek (Post 1942734)

Absolutely false. A tensioner failed on my 2000 4.0 at 130K miles. I was lucky as no catastrophic damage was done, outside of that to my wallet.

mikchek 08-08-2018 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by DigitalDisaster (Post 1942924)
Absolutely false. A tensioner failed on my 2000 4.0 at 130K miles. I was lucky as no catastrophic damage was done, outside of that to my wallet.

good to know