Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s-type-s-type-r-supercharged-v8-x200-15/)
-   -   STR OWNERS- Gauging interest (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s-type-s-type-r-supercharged-v8-x200-15/str-owners-gauging-interest-43896/)

Mafioso 10-15-2010 12:56 PM

STR OWNERS- Gauging interest

Im guaging interest on the replacing the intake elbow pipe.

It will be 3" diameter with the proper fitting for the passenger valve cover.

It will be powdercoated with a ceramic,plastic mix to keep heat out.
70/30 ceramic/plastic mix.

So far, the protype intake is PC'ed on the inside only leaving the shinny alum exterior.

initial tests yesterday went well. about a 40% reduction in heat soak. (tested with a 10 min idle. Stock pipe vs prototype)

Need about 10 people if we are going to it mass produced.

looks like the target price is $250. Its easier to negociate the price with people onboard then with hopes lol.

So please let me know your thoughts opinions. and BTW Im not making a single dime. All payments will goto the shop that will be producing this.
Im just providing the push to get us aftermarket stuff.

Phil_Deeznuutz 10-15-2010 01:02 PM

I'm all over this, let me know how to pay this place when everything is ready

Michael Star 10-15-2010 01:23 PM

lemme know where to pay!!

TheTransporter 10-15-2010 02:11 PM

$250 seems a little high for a piece of piping. Most intake kits of this rang (K&n, AEM, etc) usually offer a filter that goes along with it, warranty, exaggerated claims of "+20hp / 25lbs trq", decals :icon_wink:

Then again maybe i think its a little high since i'm still in college...That being said id take something that improves horsepower and torque over a new book on philosophical psychology any day! Would there be any gains from switching to this style piping over keeping the stock piping? dyno #'s?

Mafioso 10-15-2010 02:40 PM

havent had a chance to do any pulls yet before and after, and that feedback is perfect.

a good chunk of the cost is being eaten from having a fitting machined to plug the PCV pipe back into and the powdercoating.

so what is a resonable cost? $200?

keep in mind the bung that has to be machined and TIG welded and also the powdercoating.

Im not sure what the exact cost of the materials but like I mentioned I have removed the middleman and once they can be constructed you will be purchasing from them.

fergs03R 10-15-2010 04:54 PM

Reasonable will differ greatly from person to person.

Quality of product, to price/performance ratio is probably more indicative of where the price should land.

For instance, Mina with their SC pulley @ 300 bucks has a very high quality/price/performance blend.

250 for a piece of pipe that might dyno in 5 hp.....thats a tough sell ..just my opinion though.

However. if this shows a proven dyno HP upgrade..12-15 something like that, then 250 is not out of range.

Mafioso 10-15-2010 06:20 PM

well Im not actually expecting any gains from this, Im actually preventing loss.

heat soaked motors make less power.

jag79 10-15-2010 07:00 PM

Hey amigo! You have my blessings to mass produce :icon_hyper::icon_hyper::icon_hyper::icon_hyper: LOlzzz..
I'm all for it, but hey if the cost came to be $200 thats even better, like one person stated, only a 5hp gain wouldnt really be worth it, now if its like 15-20hp than hey even better worth every cent but then again your main goal looks like is to prevent heat loss and in return prevent power loss, so either way its a great idea!

Good luck, and keep us updated on your results.

Peace!

Happy HorsePowering! :icon_bike:

Phil_Deeznuutz 10-15-2010 07:03 PM

thinking that this pipe would be more attractive to those who are planning (or have already performed) pulley swaps and the like, as heat soak becomes problematic. Any advantage will be helpful

Classic_Engr 10-15-2010 07:37 PM

I'm interested. The cost seems reasonable considering the low volume. This is a rare application, hence the lack of intake options on the market. Please post photos.

05STR 10-15-2010 07:55 PM

count me in ... I picture would be nice

Mafioso 10-15-2010 10:00 PM

The advantage can be seen by folks what plan a pulley swap or not we all suffer from a common enemy HEAT.

I plan on posting pics when the next prototype gets built that one won't have weld spackle and will be much prettier. The one we tested yesterday was a rough cut prototype just to see what to expect and this is what we found:

These numbers were based on a 10 minute idle, 1 hour cool down 10 minute cycle and we took the average of the 2 and rounded.

Stock elbow:
IAT 1: 130 degrees
OAT 90 degrees
Temp difference: 40 degrees

Test elbow:
IAT1:114 degrees
OAT: 90 degrees
Temp difference: 24 degrees

So I think I'm onto something here.

IAT- intake air temperature
OAT- outside air temperature

RobGardnerBlack 10-16-2010 12:35 AM

All over it like a hobo on a ham sandwich; per other responses pictures are a must and how long are we looking at after 1st article before finished product available?

Mafioso 10-16-2010 09:40 PM

The final product should be done here soon, they are taking the prototype one cleaning it up and then off to powdercoating.

sivkov-y 10-16-2010 11:00 PM

I want one too.

pokey 10-17-2010 03:46 AM

can't wait to see this and possibly get one

bfsgross 10-17-2010 07:00 AM

Ok, count me in too.

Staatsof 10-17-2010 08:36 AM

It would be nice to see what the effect is under full load on a warm day.

Originally Posted by Mafioso (Post 256781)
The advantage can be seen by folks what plan a pulley swap or not we all suffer from a common enemy HEAT.

I plan on posting pics when the next prototype gets built that one won't have weld spackle and will be much prettier. The one we tested yesterday was a rough cut prototype just to see what to expect and this is what we found:

These numbers were based on a 10 minute idle, 1 hour cool down 10 minute cycle and we took the average of the 2 and rounded.

Stock elbow:
IAT 1: 130 degrees
OAT 90 degrees
Temp difference: 40 degrees

Test elbow:
IAT1:114 degrees
OAT: 90 degrees
Temp difference: 24 degrees

So I think I'm onto something here.

IAT- intake air temperature
OAT- outside air temperature

Mafioso 10-17-2010 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Staatsof (Post 257260)
It would be nice to see what the effect is under full load on a warm day.

Dyno results will come soon, The purpose of the 10 min. idle is to let everything get nice and toasty lol driving it even at WOT allows the air to cool the engine bay I wanted to do a stuck in traffic scenario.

The Chris X 10-18-2010 07:23 AM

$200 sounds pretty reasonable, $250 is pushing it IMHO. If it comes in around $200 I think I'll pony up.