Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s-type-s-type-r-supercharged-v8-x200-15/)
-   -   Tensioner (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s-type-s-type-r-supercharged-v8-x200-15/tensioner-212351/)

Reklaw1973 01-01-2019 08:28 PM

Tensioner

Hello!
I have a 2003 S-Type R 4.2 V8.
I am soon to replace the valve cover gaskets and was wondering if I should be considering replacing the primary and secondary timing chain tensioners.

I am having trouble finding info about if my engine has the design flawed tensioners, or if it this engine has the better tensioners once Jag fixed the design.

Anyone know the answer?
2003 S-Type R 4.2L Supercharged V8.

Thanks!

abonano 01-01-2019 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Reklaw1973 (Post 2008072)
Hello!
I have a 2003 S-Type R 4.2 V8.
I am soon to replace the valve cover gaskets and was wondering if I should be considering replacing the primary and secondary timing chain tensioners.

I am having trouble finding info about if my engine has the design flawed tensioners, or if it this engine has the better tensioners once Jag fixed the design.

Anyone know the answer?
2003 S-Type R 4.2L Supercharged V8.

Thanks!

You have the improved tensioners.

scottjh9 01-01-2019 11:35 PM

While you have the covers off take a good look at what gets exposed by them being out of the way

clubairth1 01-05-2019 05:32 PM

Yes thankfully the 4.2L SC seems to have pretty stout timing chain tensioners.
But have you changed the hose under the SC yet?
Might be a good time to combine repairs?

Tijoe 01-05-2019 06:43 PM

I spent some time over the holidays working on my 04 refresh STR engine I purchased several years ago. I tore into the front of the engine a couple years ago and finally had time to put on a new timing chain kit. This engine has about 70K miles on it and as far as I can tell, the engine was well taken care of. The timing chains, tensioners and rail guides were in great condition! (Probably didn't need to replace them.)
The engine in the 03 STR that the donor engine is for was another story.
This engine threw a couple rods with less than 80K miles. As far as I could tell, the blown engine was not maintained properly. Perhaps the oil wasn't changed, or the car ran too hot. It had lots of sludge and grime visible in the corners of the heads and all over the innards of the engine when I tore it down.

Depending on how many miles are on your engine, and how it has been maintained will have more of an impact on the the 03/04 generation of oil pump and other internal parts than the timing chains/tensioners.
When you remove your valve covers, look for telltale signs that the engine hasn't been maintained over its life. Take a look for cracks in the plastic pieces on the upper camshaft timing chain tensioners, and shine a light down along the main chains and see if you can see any problems with the guide rails. If there are no signs of abuse, and the engine is clean, then the probability that the timing system has issues is low.
If you find issues, then you will need to reassess if you should dig further into the engine.

Reklaw1973 01-05-2019 07:01 PM

SC?Forgive

Originally Posted by clubairth1 (Post 2009778)
Yes thankfully the 4.2L SC seems to have pretty stout timing chain tensioners.
But have you changed the hose under the SC yet?
Might be a good time to combine repairs?

Forgive me... what does SC stand for?
I like the idea of combining repairs 👍🏻

Tijoe 01-05-2019 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Reklaw1973 (Post 2009809)

Forgive me... what does SC stand for?
I like the idea of combining repairs 👍🏻

SC = Supercharger.
SC engines have a coolant hose that is routed below the supercharger that is a failure point of the 4.2 engines. The NA (normally aspirated) engines have a similar hose, but it takes less effort to change the hose on NA engines. (Don't have to remove the supercharger.)

Reklaw1973 01-06-2019 11:32 AM

Well don’t I feel silly lol

Thanks, I think changing the hose under the SC is a great addition to the valve cover gasket change.
I appreciate the advice 👍🏻