Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tranny cooling line seepage issue – looking for opinions

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 04:44 PM
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Tranny cooling line seepage issue – looking for opinions

Hi All;
Just did the regular maintenance ( oil change and check up) on my 04 S-Type 4.2. The car has approx 36K. The service person has advised me that the tranny cooling lines have a “small” seepage on the rubber couplings… It’s not bad now – but I should monitor this – just in case. According to the Tech – this is not covered by my Select warranty, and the cooling lines need to be replaced – it’s strange that this is not covered.. They have quoted me $1050 – “mostly” for labor – since the tranny needs to be lowered and radiator removed…I guess – what I’m looking for is: is this really something I should worry about ??? Is it really true that Select warranty will not cover this ???
I will appreciate any Forum Tech commenting on this.
BTW – my Select warranty ends in 10 days….. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you. Janusz

Old 04-11-2010, 05:51 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Looks like the same issue as mine.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=34286
See, there are different interpretations of the select warranty. In my case there was no mention of it not being covered. Then again it was determined that the metal crimp is the failure point, not the rubber.

Old 04-12-2010, 06:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Plan to get a letter (yes, real paper lol) in to them BEFORE the 10 days are gone by stating the details of the problem and that you believe it should be covered. Then they can debate it but you've made it plain before the warranty expires. It's not fair wear and tear IMO so ought to be covered but hey we'll see.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:19 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

If a "line/pipe" has rubber in, on it, part of it, it is not covered. And this is true for every extended warranty company I have ever dealt with, not just select

Old 04-12-2010, 09:39 AM

Thank you all for responses... So - at this point my chances of this begin replaced under warranty are almost null, if I understand Brutal correctly... No the question is - does it have to be done ??? How long will it take to get the fluid level to a dangerously low position ?? Will it get worse with time ??? How many S Types have this issue ??? and if not so many - what cause it in my case ???

Old 04-12-2010, 10:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,273 Likes on 2,810 Posts

Every leak/seepage issue is different. No way to predict when your transmission fluid gets dangerously low. Since there's no transmission fluid dipstick (no dipstick = stupid design, in my opinion), the only way to check your fluid level is to lift the car on a level plane, pull the fluid fill plug, and feel the fluid level with your fingers....

Hopefully, Jeff will eventually get this issue resolved on his particular car under his Select Edition warranty. But you must remember that he has one of the most generous and cooperative dealerships in the country. Once he gets his leak fixed, I'm sure he'll share the details here. Owners who are suffering from the same issue can then follow his lead on attempting to resolve their own issues. Perhaps that will happen sooner rather than later....

Old 04-12-2010, 08:35 PM

Well - The cat is back ( dealer replaced the leaking water valve) - and I did ask again about seepage - and the said its more like a mist on the lines.. and that they have tried calling Select warranty - but no luck.. and that I should not loose sleep over it - just check if there is anything on the ground from time to time - and until I don't see anything - I can drive safely...
So I think this is the end of the story for now...

Old 04-13-2010, 05:21 AM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by 04SCat
Well - The cat is back ( dealer replaced the leaking water valve) - and I did ask again about seepage - and the said its more like a mist on the lines.. and that they have tried calling Select warranty - but no luck.. and that I should not loose sleep over it - just check if there is anything on the ground from time to time - and until I don't see anything - I can drive safely...
So I think this is the end of the story for now...
It sounds like your dealer is easy to work with as well. Am I correct? Funny how the seep is the same as mine. We also agreed that it won't cause a problem until you actually see a drip. Do you do your own oil changes and such? That would be the best time to check it. Another point for not changing it until you need to is the amount of things that need to come apart to get that line out. More problems can be created by "ripping" things apart than the repair fixes. So, looks like there are now two of us watching their cooling lines...

Old 04-15-2010, 10:08 PM

I think there is more of us here that have the same issue... maybe there should be a tread for all that have trans cooling lines issue ??? Would like to know how many cars have it...

Old 04-15-2010, 10:45 PM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by 04SCat
I think there is more of us here that have the same issue... maybe there should be a tread for all that have trans cooling lines issue ??? Would like to know how many cars have it...
So far you and I are the only ones I've heard of on here. Maybe others will chime in?

Old 04-16-2010, 01:18 AM
Veteran Member

Is it so little that it doesn't leave any drops below the car? If so, generally people won't know whether they have it.

Is the best way to know to clean the pipe then check it for a film of fluid? If so, maybe ask people

Er, can't say I'm sure exactly which part of which pipe LOL

Old 04-16-2010, 06:16 AM
Veteran Member

As Jeff has mentioned previously, the best way to determine if your vehicle suffers from this problem is to remove the undertray and inspect the lower components underneath and in front of the engine for a film of fluid. His theory is that this small amount of seepage gets pulled into the area where the fan blade circulates, so the fluid then gets flung around and coats the bottom of whatever sits in that area....

I've added this issue to my standard checklist whenever I do an oil & filter change or have to pull the undertray for any reason. Thus far, our car is clean. If that changes, you can bet that I'll post the details here and join the Exxon Valdez Watch Club....

Last edited by Jon89; 04-16-2010 at 06:19 AM.
Old 04-16-2010, 02:07 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah, I recall that part but.... erm.... don't have a particularly clean car down there
( runs and hides in shame )

Old 04-16-2010, 02:11 PM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by jagv8
Yeah, I recall that part but.... erm.... don't have a particularly clean car down there
( runs and hides in shame )
You bad, bad, bad, Jaguar owner......

(I gotta stay a few posts ahead...you're catching me!)

Old 04-17-2010, 07:29 AM
Veteran Member

No shame, jagv8. Road grime happens, even with an undertray in place. What you don't want to find is a fresh, oily film. That's clearly evidence of a problem, either this one or something else....

Old 04-17-2010, 08:07 AM
Veteran Member

It's on my To Do list and now that the weather's improved I'll be doing work soon

Old 04-30-2013, 08:58 AM
Default Bite the bullet

Well - as you can see from the tread, after 3 years of driving I've finally bit the bullet at decided to have the leaking lines replaced and the $790 at the dealership...I'm planing on some long trips this summer, so don;t want to get strangled... The dealership said that the new line has been re-designed, so this should not happen in the future - whether this is true or not - I can't say...time will tell..

Old 04-30-2013, 01:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 801 Likes on 669 Posts

It's somewhat common as people have said above. Anytime a rubber hose is crimped to a steel line you have the potential for seepage. If you want to fix it yourself you can cut the crimp off and add a section of the proper type hose with a steel nipple and just use hose clamps. Be sure and trim the rubber hose back because the oil will get into the inner layers of the hose and make it weak and spongy.

The dealer will lower the tranny but the lines can be replaced without that if you do some careful bending and straightening afterwards but it's still a pretty hard job.

I had an engine oil cooler line in my 2005 STR start to seep. Had a good buildup of crud on the crimp. I changed the hose because I am picky. That was not an easy repair either. So you might want to do some cleaning and then monitor the area just to really narrow down where your problem is.