Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s-type-s-type-r-supercharged-v8-x200-15/)
-   -   Transmission Shutter (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s-type-s-type-r-supercharged-v8-x200-15/transmission-shutter-196656/)

rosebud 02-11-2018 10:40 AM

Transmission Shudder

Hello there, so I have gotten my engine issues basically figured out. The only codes it is reading now is either it is running too lean or too rich in either bank, it switches and is not consistent.
But the issue I am having now is a transmission shudder, the car acts like it doesn’t know what gear to shift into and it will go away if I step on the pedal more to force it to down shift or if I let off the gas. The other thing I have been doing is taking it out of overdrive and that seems to help but I still get some shutter.
The car is reading no transmission codes, but it has slipped a few times.
Would rebuilding the transmission take care of this issue? Any insight would be helpful!

NBCat 02-11-2018 10:50 AM

I assume you mean 'shudder'?

The ECM and TCM communicate, so if you have DTCs P0171 and or P0174, they can lead to misfire(s) that can confuse the TCM.

Do you have the 'Transmission Fault' message on the instrument cluster?

rosebud 02-11-2018 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by NBCat (Post 1840832)
I assume you mean 'shudder'?

The ECM and TCM communicate, so if you have DTCs P0171 and or P0174, they can lead to misfire(s) that can confuse the TCM.

Do you have the 'Transmission Fault' message on the instrument cluster?

Yes I am getting the P0171, and no there is no transmission fault message. Thank you for your reply!

NBCat 02-11-2018 11:43 AM

You will need to check STFT and LTFT to see what is happening. There is most likely a vacuum leak from a hose or fitting.

What is the MY and is the engine a 3.0, 4.0 or 4.2 litre?

rosebud 02-11-2018 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by NBCat (Post 1840856)
You will need to check STFT and LTFT to see what is happening. There is most likely a vacuum leak from a hose or fitting.

What is the MY and is the engine a 3.0, 4.0 or 4.2 litre?

I have gone through and replaced all the clamps on the hoses but maybe some they need replaced completely. When I run the STFT and LTFT data what should they read/be set at?
It is a 2001 S Type 3.0.
I greatly appreciate the help!

motorcarman 02-11-2018 12:37 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I would also check the fluid level in the gearbox.

More info for you.

bob

joycesjag 02-11-2018 02:42 PM

OP, those codes you posted are an indication of air leaks. Those air leaks can cause your transmission to act up.

As asked please post model year and which engine. Help us to help you!

NBCat 02-11-2018 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by rosebud (Post 1840861)
I have gone through and replaced all the clamps on the hoses but maybe some they need replaced completely. When I run the STFT and LTFT data what should they read/be set at?
It is a 2001 S Type 3.0.
I greatly appreciate the help!

The fuel trims should be hovering around zero. If they are well above 0, the ECM is compensating by adding more fuel, then setting the DTCs for 'fuel system too lean'.

NBCat 02-11-2018 03:14 PM

Have a read of this post by Joycesjag:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ics-faq-52720/

JagV8 02-11-2018 04:08 PM

Definitely fix the engine and then see whether the trans is happy - as it likely will be.

But... check/change the trans fluid.

rosebud 02-15-2018 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by JagV8 (Post 1840955)
Definitely fix the engine and then see whether the trans is happy - as it likely will be.

But... check/change the trans fluid.

All of your help has been very beneficial. Changed the elbow hose behind the manifold, it was collapsed.
Now there is only one cylinder, number 4, that is not getting any fuel. There is spark from the plug and I have switched the fuel injectors around and the coil packs and they are all working because they do not cause the same problem when I switch them around. It is just that one cylinder, also I checked the fuel lines for any blocks.
Any helpful tips?

NBCat 02-17-2018 08:29 AM

At this point, it may be wise to perform a compression check of the cylinder in question.