Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s-type-s-type-r-supercharged-v8-x200-15/)
-   -   Twin-screw anyone? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s-type-s-type-r-supercharged-v8-x200-15/twin-screw-anyone-186458/)

avos 07-28-2017 09:40 AM

Twin-screw anyone?

As some of you know I have quit making twin-screw kits last year for several reasons (not related to the kit itself). An owner of one of my kits asked if I could make another one, that in combination with my situation that allows it to do I have decided to make a last batch of the XKR/XJR twin-screw kits.

But now for you here, I have the ability to also make some 2.1L Twin-screw kits for the 4.2 STR, 4.2 XJR and possibly the 4.2 XF.

The 2.1L kits are not the same as the 2.6L I have made, but these still provide a very good power level pending on other mods, somewhere in the 450 rwhp, or a good 500 engine hp to be on the safe side, and possibly more importantly it is at a much lower cost than the 2.6L kits.

Please contact me if you are interested in a kit like this, I would need to know within 2 to 3 weeks in order to combine the orders and keep the costs low, and this is a one off!

avos 08-04-2017 06:16 AM

Small bump,

I would like to wrap it up, so please let me know before Sunday the 13th if you are in if you haven’t already communicated with me.

joycesjag 08-04-2017 08:35 AM

Wow, I can't believe that not one response. A few years back this would have had peaked the interest of a few members. Whitestr, Chrisx, vance580, phd12volt, Bull27, Bfgross, phaelax, riski (rip) and of course long time members tbird/clubraith (soon to be str less), staatsof and last but not least jagv8!

;)

Doryphoros86 08-04-2017 08:47 AM

I log in for the first time in over a year, and I greeted by this wonderful message on the S-Type sub-forum! I will PM an inquiry.

avos 08-04-2017 09:40 AM

@Joycesjag,

Yeah I know what you mean, I though that my mailbox would have overfilled ;-).

But you have to stumble over the post to know its there, and am sure not everyone like Josh watch this space every day.

The diehards should know by now I would guess ;-)

Pwood811 09-26-2017 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by avos (Post 1734108)
Small bump,

I would like to wrap it up, so please let me know before Sunday the 13th if you are in if you haven’t already communicated with me.

Hi, am I too late for the twinscrew setup for the S type? I am a member on jaguar forum and was planning on investing in the twin screw setup at the end of last year until I found out you stopped producing in august 16. I have just come across this thread and hope I am not too late. I can't send a pm as I have only just joined I believe.
thank you

clubairth1 09-28-2017 01:28 PM

I hope to see some twin screws installed on the STR!!
Hopefully some good 1/4 times too!

But I sold my 2005 for $3500 and the kit is more than that. Just hard to do I guess?

Jon89 09-28-2017 02:54 PM

Do you now regret selling your STR for peanuts (unfortunately)?

You replaced it with a relatively new XJ, correct? How do you like it?

clubairth1 09-29-2017 11:27 AM

Funny you should ask! Sorry for writing a book!

Regrets? Yes and no. I was kind of floored when I was offered $3000 trade in on my 2005 STR on a beautiful 2012 XFR in Kyanite blue with Black and Tan interior. Had everything I wanted and only about 19K miles. So I waited thinking I could get more for my car in a private sale. BUT that XFR was sold 2 days later.

I ended up selling my 2005 STR for $3500 to a fellow Jaguar guy. Hopefully he is active on the list so I can keep up with my old car. If the car was going cheap I wanted a Jaguar guy to get it. All the dealer would do is send it to auction and I just could not bear to have that happen!

I spent a year or two looking for another and Kyanite blue XFR's are just very rare. So I looked at many cars because I am a car buff. E63, RS6, S8, M5, M6,CTSV (This is the absolute best Hi-Po car value out there!) Even an Equus or Genesis R-Spec again very good value. Of course I am a cheap skate so I ONLY look at used cars and have never bought new and probably never will.

I stumbled upon a 2014 XJR in what I think is a very handsome color combo. As you well know probably the only other car that depreciates faster than an S Type MIGHT be the XJ! Although the S-Type Mercedes gives it run for the money!

With further investigation I found since the XJ is 100% Aluminum. The XJR and XFR are very close in weight which was a shock to me! XF about 4100 lb compared to the XJ at about 4171 lb. I got the SWB version of the XJR.

Then I drove the XJR. Well all I can say is give it a try if you get a chance.
I am a hot rodder and came from the American muscle car side of things and my biggest frustration with Jaguar is the lack of repair/service info and the almost total lack of modifications. I guess most Jaguar owners are wealthy enough that they just take it to the dealer?
So my S Type was just about stock and even with Avos's great kit my old STR would still be light years behind the 2014 XJR.

By the time I added a LSD and Avos's kit plus the car had 127K miles on it. The cost was getting up there for a $3000 value car!

No matter what I did or spent on the STR it would not be enough to even equal the stock XJR! Plus believe it or not with the improved TS blower you can get a real tune and pulley options without all the heat soak issues of the old Roots style blower. These mods give a claimed 620-650HP at the crank! Again with reading I found out the 5.0L engine power increases ALL come from tuning. Even the 470HP SC cars can be brought up to and beyond XJR specs. So the real sweet spot is the XJ SC and a tune.

BUT there is so much power available at all times I will have to see about any tuning? I mean it's 550HP with the 8 speed automatic and a 174mph top speed stock. It's a super car from the factory!

Just the best driving car I have ever driven. With some strange design quirks that I can't really figure out? No sunglasses holder anywhere. No folding rear seats in a giant size car. Definitely some style over function with the overall shape and you might not even like the style? Features I have no use for like "Soft Close Doors" which are also on RR cars.

But the sound on starting makes me smile! The car pulls like nothing I have driven. It's no 4 door Corvette but man does it run. Passing is just fractions of a second and I find the ride much more luxurious than the S Type.

Yes I am very happy. Plus this one has a 6yr/100K CPO warranty from Jaguar and only had about 21K miles when I got it. As always the R's come loaded and it only has 2 options. The illumination package and the carbon fiber option (Which includes some really cool CF hood vents). Not a spec of wood in this car! Shocking new price sticker of $120,200! Which I am sure no one really pays that any more.

Take a look;

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...b269b9a024.jpg

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...b2721864a6.jpg

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...665bc638b4.jpg

The car still smells new inside.

Right now the only thing I looking for is you can convert to the new 2016 and Up LED headlights. Cool looking but man are they expensive! Jaguar price is around $3400-$4000 for EACH headlight!!

Jon89 09-29-2017 12:29 PM

I am glad to hear that you are enjoying your 2014 XJR. But I simply will not pay more than $25,000 for ANY vehicle and I am sure you paid much more than that....

And any Jaguar we own must have the obligatory interior wood....

gm_jim 09-29-2017 04:44 PM

"By the time I added a LSD and Avos's kit plus the car had 127K miles on it. The cost was getting up there for a $3000 value car!"

For me that says it. If STR's were still worth $15K+ the money for a twin screw could be well spent. But.........it's hard to justify putting serious money into a $3,000 car (even though they look a lot more expensive and almost everybody viewing it thinks so).

abonano 09-29-2017 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by gm_jim (Post 1767996)
"By the time I added a LSD and Avos's kit plus the car had 127K miles on it. The cost was getting up there for a $3000 value car!"

For me that says it. If STR's were still worth $15K+ the money for a twin screw could be well spent. But.........it's hard to justify putting serious money into a $3,000 car (even though they look a lot more expensive and almost everybody viewing it thinks so).

Couldn't agree more. I was floored at the cost.

avos 09-30-2017 08:17 AM

Am not posting to defend the costs, nor wanting to convince anyone to purchase a kit, but the view of only looking at a current value of a car is a bit odd imho.

Most twin-screw kit owners (if not all) have their cars for keepers, where the current value of the car is not relevant at all and adding a big amount of hp seriously adds to the enjoyment of the ownership.

It all depends on how you look upon it, the younger the car the higher the depreciation per year, which for a 3 or 4 year old car will still add up.

My car is worthless with 460.000km and 17 years old, so no depreciation for me anymore, yet I have a 700hp Jaguar XKR conv in top condition, I and couldn't be happier, its obviously a keeper for me. If something happens, I can still sell my twin-screw kit, which keeps its value.

I can't see the point in seriously modding a car to increase some enjoyment where you actually would prefer another, then better save up and go for what you want if its affordable.

So good for you clubairth1, you certainly have a fine car there!

aholbro1 09-30-2017 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by clubairth1 (Post 1767863)

Nor strut-tower covers, it appears! Whelp, that cinches it.

Clubairth1, I hope everyone who depends on a car can find one that puts the kind of smile on your face that the new XJ does, or the one my X300 puts on mine.....but we each have different tastes (I guess that's how Kia's are sold) and I can't imagine your XJ EVER delivering the kind of enjoyment to me that mine does, no matter how hard it pulls.

Agree with Avos on residual value; I rarely sell a car...they usually go to charity after I've extracted the last bit of value from them.

Take heart Jon, I got one of my XJ's for 10% of sticker 15 years on (the other two, later but CONSIDERABLY less) so in 2029, you can fit two fine specimen's like Clubairth's into your budget rules!

Jon89 09-30-2017 10:11 AM

Zane,

I hear you. I paid one-third the original sticker price for my 2005 S-Type when it was three years old with 18,000 miles on it. The 2008/2009 economic collapse here in the U.S. at that time allowed me to grab one of the best automotive deals I have ever taken advantage of....

I also paid one-third the original sticker price for my wife's 2006 XK8, but it was six years old with 36,000 miles at the time. XK8s carry much more of a premium but it was still a great deal. It continues to be her favorite vehicle she has ever had, and she has indeed had some very nice ones over the decades....

clubairth1 09-30-2017 01:08 PM

How I got my Jaguar was the same as Jon89. Got a super deal on my STR in December 2008. Paid $19K for a $65K car that was barely 3+ years old with 32K miles and 1 year left on the warranty. Never even looked at Jaguars before that. Just too expensive and out of my league!

Certainly not those kinds of deals around any more! I was hoping to keep it but I had it around 7 years which is a bit short for me. My last car I kept almost 10 years. Yes the low value did beat me into submission! Maybe I should not have let it bother me.

Avos how do you handle damage or accidents? In the states it's hard to get more than what the Manheim Auction price is from the insurance people and your car will be totaled for any minor accident? Regardless of all your mods or receipts showing how much you spent.

When I questioned the very low trade in value on my 2005 STR the salesman brought up the Manheim sales history to show what they were actually selling for.

If you have not heard of Manheims this is the real place cars are valued. Don't bother with Kelly blue book or Carmax. Manheim is only for dealers to other dealers. No access without paying.The prices are very low!
https://www.manheim.com/

I have had a number of other cars where I did just keep spending on them. Lots of fun and I know I will do it again!

Sorry didn't mean to say I don't like wood because most XJ's still do have wood. I really would not pay to get the CF package as it was an additional $1575 option.
I really like this Zebrano wood. But when buying used you have to be flexible!

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...60b9b7bf7e.jpg

This guy added the chrome pedal covers that come stock on the XJR. But no dead pedal??
I am adding the matching one from the F-type. Details, details...

Anders Hansen 10-17-2017 11:25 PM

Am i too late for 2.1 for a 2005 XJR

avos 10-18-2017 02:01 AM

Am sorry to say but for now I can't do any extra kits anymore. The chances I can do more kits in the future are really very small. Although I can't rule it out its better to not hold your breath on this one.

Robinus 11-14-2017 08:37 AM

Damn ! Found this thread last night and am gutted, as I would have had one for my STR. I haven't been on here a lot but have been on the UK site, where I don't recall seeing this thread. Was it ever posted there, Avos ?

avos 11-14-2017 11:57 PM

No, I stopped posting on the UK site as there just weren't enough people there interested in tuning/performance, contrary to this site with lots of likeminded enthusiasts. I was also only able to do a couple anyway but who knows what the future brings, I can't tell. For now I guess this will the site to follow when it comes to performance mods!