S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Several questions from filter to heat

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 11:39 PM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Several questions from filter to heat

Has anyone had issues when changing the air filter? I replaced mine and it's almost half an inch too long. I end up having to trim some of the rubber around the edges to make it fit. Without doing that, the filter will kind of bow upwards if I try to squeeze it in. Today I used a Purolator, I don't recall which brand I used last time, probably the same.

My next question is in regards to the defogger. Within minutes after starting the car, the passenger side is completely clear, but the driver side never clears up. The vertical line down the center of the windshield is perfectly straight separating the clear passenger side from the driver side. My windshield was replaced awhile back, but as it was during the summer I'm not sure if they did something at the time to break or disconnect a wire or this happened later on before winter.

Next question might be a dumb one in regards to the heater. It only feels warm if the car is moving. When I'm idle or in very slow traffic it feels like just a fan is blowing. Could just be the nature of the car, but I don't recall it feeling like this when I first got it.

Last question. Any suggestions on how to open the ashtray? I don't smoke so I use mine to collect loose change. Well, apparently I had too much in there and some slid around so now I don't have clearance underneath to push the lid down enough to unlatch it. Suppose I could just do some aggressive corning while pressing the button repeatedly in hopes that the coins move out of the way...

Old 03-02-2011, 02:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

A good ad to avoid using the wrong filter!

Car details? See:

Old 03-02-2011, 05:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts

DO NOT CUT the air filter foam!!!!

The air box MUST be removed to seat a new air filter properly. Throw your "new custom fitted" air filter in the rubbish and purchase another.

If you would like to modify your AIR BOX for the next air filter change see this link: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ghlight=filter

Last edited by joycesjag; 03-03-2011 at 05:16 AM. Reason: changed link
Old 03-02-2011, 07:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

I thought Phaelax meant the cabin filter....got enchanted by all the other HVAC-related stuff, I guess....but there are different versions of those, too....but I don't recall a 1/2" would've made a 2000 fit an 03+....lots longer/wider but thinner, as I recall.

Defog - either something blocking the defrost outlet on driver's side...or...since it is dual-zone, may have a flap not working...does lack of heat exist on both sides? or only driver's?

Old 03-02-2011, 07:41 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

My guess is that the OP is referring to the embedded electrical defrost elements. I think there's two fuses for this feature, one for each side of the windshield.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:32 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Ide say engine air filter since i see many indepedant shop stuff a too long, too narrow air filter in jags and call it a day. This lets dirt and sand get sucked in past the airfilter damaging the engines ring seal. I see this so much i think someone (purolater, fram or whomever) has the wrong air filter part number to fit the jaguar stype. Also i never fully remove the air box lid since its too hard to refit the 4 tabs properly which also leads to non filtered air. I just undo the latched end, lift, slide out the old and refit a new one and its always in place properly....

Old 03-02-2011, 08:48 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Brutal
Ide say engine air filter since i see many indepedant shop stuff a too long, too narrow air filter in jags and call it a day. This lets dirt and sand get sucked in past the airfilter damaging the engines ring seal. I see this so much i think someone (purolater, fram or whomever) has the wrong air filter part number to fit the jaguar stype. Also i never fully remove the air box lid since its too hard to refit the 4 tabs properly which also leads to non filtered air. I just undo the latched end, lift, slide out the old and refit a new one and its always in place properly....
and doing this to the throttle body, let alone sand blasting the MAF sensor in the process as well!!

Brutal, us DIY'ers should just remove the air box, since we don't change like a thousand a year. In reality it just takes a few more minutes to pull the air box up to get to those pesky tabs and fit the cover properly.

Thank you for your input!

Attached Thumbnails Several questions from filter to heat-dirty-throttle-body.jpg  
Old 03-02-2011, 12:38 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Brutal
. Also i never fully remove the air box lid since its too hard to refit the 4 tabs properly which also leads to non filtered air. I just undo the latched end, lift, slide out the old and refit a new one and its always in place properly....

Agreed. My approach is more time consuming : I remove the whole box and R&R the filter on the bench. But I only do them once in awhile for personal use, also an opportunity to regressed the box and mop up around the PS pump.

Old 03-02-2011, 01:27 PM

Just another reason i recommend oem, they fit correctly.
personally i think a 30k rpm fan in the air box would give that super charger feel too....
crap im sorry ya'll i couldnt resist saying that

Old 03-02-2011, 06:00 PM
Veteran Member

Absolutely no "ID" what I typed that the phone saw fit to correct to "regressed" but meant "clean!"

Old 03-02-2011, 06:08 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I bought a new fram air filter took the old filter out noticed it was cut, I said huh. Went to stick new fram filter in it was a inch too long... What the heck.. I triple checked part number and it matched up.

It was driving me crazy, glad I am not alone

Old 03-02-2011, 09:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 215 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by joycesjag
DO NOT CUT the air filter foam!!!!

The air box MUST be removed to seat a new air filter properly. Throw your "new custom fitted" air filter in the rubbish and purchase another.

If you would like to modify your AIR BOX for the next air filter change see this link: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=40687
I think you linked the wrong video Rick. That was for the cabin filter. If he wants to make the air box easier here is the video for that.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVdBhdLkn7Y

Old 03-03-2011, 05:13 AM
Veteran Member

whoops.... corrected
sorry guys

Old 03-03-2011, 12:57 PM
Veteran Member

Speaking of "custom filters" check this one out. This is what I found in a fellow members S Type not so long ago! I hope people can see (read) this!

Attached Thumbnails Several questions from filter to heat-custom-fitted-filter.jpg  
Old 03-03-2011, 09:09 PM

Its an '03 STR, it used to say it in my signature which is why I didn't mention it.

woh yea i didn't cut mine into the actual filter like that, just trimmed the foam enough to fit in the box, it's still a tight fit. The purolator is the only one I can find for my car, K&N is never in stock(and I"m not paying $50 anyway) and I had to drive to two stores before I found the last purolator for it.

I don't see why I'd have to remove the entire box to fit the filter in, I removed the hose and took the lid off and set it in without too much trouble.

So which brand filters are you guys using that fit? Anything other than purolator I'd have to order online.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:24 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by joycesjag
I hope people can see (read) this!

hmmmm...lemme get my phone...

Old 03-04-2011, 07:32 AM
Veteran Member

I use Jaguar's filter. (I have a dealer nearby.) The price is not enough to mess with such a critical part.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by phaelax
Its an '03 STR, it used to say it in my signature which is why I didn't mention it.

woh yea i didn't cut mine into the actual filter like that, just trimmed the foam enough to fit in the box, it's still a tight fit. The purolator is the only one I can find for my car, K&N is never in stock(and I"m not paying $50 anyway) and I had to drive to two stores before I found the last purolator for it.

I don't see why I'd have to remove the entire box to fit the filter in, I removed the hose and took the lid off and set it in without too much trouble.

So which brand filters are you guys using that fit? Anything other than purolator I'd have to order online.
if you had to do that Ide say its also too narrow and letting unfiltered air past. I think someone has wrong part numbers/dimensions. Ive seen both whiteblack foam( I believe Purolator), and yellow orange foam(Fram) in customers air boxes and theyre both incorrect. Yes you dont have to remove the box, but if you remove the lid you have to make sure ths 4 tabs below the mass air flow sensor area of the box are locked back in correctly caus ethat lets unfilter air in too since it then does not seal down on the foam. Personally why dont you just order 2 from a jag dealer like Nalley, JPAM etc and then you KNOW theyre correct, and I believe you get a discount if you mention youre from Jagforums

Old 03-11-2011, 06:16 AM

Back to the windshield defroster/heater. Looking at this diagram: http://zimnox.com/jaguar/diagrams/20...-Fuse-Box1.jpg
R21 is present but R17 is missing, and I'm assuming it should be there. My thought is that both those relays are for the issue I mentioned?

Old 03-11-2011, 06:28 AM
Veteran Member

Is that the right fuse box variant for your car? What do the circuit diagrams show for your car?

Quick Reply: Several questions from filter to heat