Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s-type-s-type-r-supercharged-v8-x200-15/)
-   -   Won’t start! (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s-type-s-type-r-supercharged-v8-x200-15/won%92t-start-212736/)

2002stype 01-12-2019 05:55 PM

Won’t start!

Hello all,

I’m having a problem starting my 2002 s-type 3.0 v6. quick back story car drove fine all day and was parked. My wife drive the car up the street came back parked it for the night. I went to move it the next day and it was dead. Battery checked fine but had it checked at a local part store just in case. I removed the alternator and it tested bad so I replaced it with a new one. The car sat a while so I hooked a charger up to it and once charged I hooked it up and the alarm when off on the car. The car will turn to accessory and all lights radio air etc function but all goes dead when I turn the key. As the battery and alternator are good what else could cause this issue. I’m about to go under the car to make sure the shift linkage isn’t bound up and not going into the proper gear. Only other thing to note is the car will not go into gear at all unless I use a screwdriver to move that little black clip then I can move it. It will move through gears once out of park but won’t start in neutral. I did try to turn it over in every gear just to see if any issue with gear alignment and as it should it didn’t turn over. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Any jump points transmission info ignition issues and/or info anything would help. Thanks in advance guys and gals!

NBCat 01-12-2019 06:09 PM

First, check the connections at the battery to make sure they're secure. Next check the voltage across the terminals with the ignition off. Should be a minimum of 12.6 volts. If not charge the battery overnight at 5 to 10 amps.

Check the gear lever indicator on the console to see which position lights up when the key is turned to the 'On' position. If none are illuminated, check the two bolts on the shift cable to the gearbox as they can be loose or missing.

Report back with what you find.

Add your location to your profile.

2002stype 01-12-2019 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by NBCat (Post 2012607)
First, check the connections at the battery to make sure they're secure. Next check the voltage across the terminals with the ignition off. Should be a minimum of 12.6 volts. If not charge the battery overnight at 5 to 10 amps.

Check the gear lever indicator on the console to see which position lights up when the key is turned to the 'On' position. If none are illuminated, check the two bolts on the shift cable to the gearbox as they can be loose or missing.

Thank you for the insight I’ll let you know what I find.

2002stype 01-13-2019 03:42 PM

Dead in the water

I went under the car and checked the bolts and double checked the car was in fact in the correct gear and all appear to be as they should. Battery reads 11.6 volts a little on the low side. What I don’t understand is if I turn the key to on press the brake I can’t move the shifter into any gear. I should be able to freely move between the gears shouldn’t I? I’m thinking if the battery was bad this shouldn’t prevent me from changing the gears unless this is a Jaguar thing I’m not aware of. When I turn the car on it reads gear box fault and restricted performance will this mean anything or is it cycling through menu items? I’m at a loss and really didn’t want to have to pay a shop or dealer. Like mentioned before the car was perfectly fine drove all day and parked it for the day and now this. Any other ideas? Maybe shifter went bad or a pump somewhere went bad? Again it won’t go into gear AT ALL so I believe what’s causing this is causing the no start and why it goes dead when starting. It doesn’t attemp to start just dies

Originally Posted by NBCat (Post 2012607)

JagV8 01-13-2019 04:50 PM

11.6 is terrible - near dead. Might be the cause.

Another would be a faulty brake microswitch - used as an interlock with the gear shift.

NBCat 01-14-2019 08:53 AM

Try charging the battery at 5 to 10 amps for ten to twelve hours and check the voltage again. If it still is below 12.6 volts when resting, the battery should be replaced.

Once the battery is eliminated as a possible cause, check the microswitch as JagV8 suggests.

2002stype 01-27-2019 05:14 PM

No luck yet

Battery is now good
Alternator replaced
brake switch replaced
Transmission cable in correct position
shifter and shifter components look to be fine

current standing issues:
It won’t go into gear
When I turn the key the car just goes dead

what could cause both those issues together? Whatever that one thing is has to be the issue because the car was fine and now nothing. Any more ideas?

could the shifter itsleft be bad and not have any noticeable issues?

2002stype 03-31-2019 06:31 PM

Still dead

Car is still dead in the water. I replaced the following:
battery
starter
alternator
brake switch
entire shift assembly

any other ideas of what could be the cause? Maybe neutral safety switch? I have an appointment next week at a shop but would really like to not have to deal with the cost and aggravation of upselling me if they can lol. Sorry for the gap in responding I couldn’t find my original post and since my second one was deleted before I could explain why I made a second post I had to search this one out again. Was lucky to find the email where you all had responded previously so I could post. If the gentleman who ended my last post sees this now you know why the second post it wasn’t to flood the site or a dig at the help I was getting. I did look both ways before crossing the street earlier so thanks for that info lol

kr98664 03-31-2019 07:38 PM

Losing track here. Was this three (!) threads open on the same issue? If you get lost, open your user control panel. From there, you are all of your posts. No need to start a new thread if you lose track of an existing one.

From this thread, I had some very specific troubleshooting ideas, see post #11:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...0/#post2029290

My hunch is a blown fuse at the panel hidden just outboard of the US passenger's feet. More details in that thread. I would suggest sticking to that thread as it has the most technical details, not this one or the third thread closed today.