XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Mileage (odometer) roll back on Jaguars

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 10:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts
Default Mileage (odometer) roll back on Jaguars

I had someone ask me today:

With all of the electronics and the re-programming of the Jaguar cars, is it possible for a dealer to roll back the mileage (odometer) on these cars?

I responded "I don't know, I am not sure what the re-programming entails".

Does any one know the answer to this question?

Last edited by richzak; 09-18-2013 at 11:07 PM.
Old 09-19-2013, 03:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,133 Likes on 3,380 Posts
Old 09-19-2013, 03:27 AM
GGG
Received 16,764 Likes on 12,153 Posts

Originally Posted by richzak
.............. With all of the electronics and the re-programming of the Jaguar cars, is it possible for a dealer to roll back the mileage (odometer) on these cars?
Yes it is.

A legitimate example of resetting is when a new Instrument Pack is fitted. It's programmed to the vehicle using the dealer diagnostics and, as part of this configuration process, the odometer is set to match the original unit. It could just as easily be set to any mileage .....

Software is becoming more widely available for the less scrupulous to manipulate mileage readings. This is such a problem in the UK that our annual vehicle inspection (MoT) now requires mileage to be recorded.

Graham

Last edited by GGG; 09-19-2013 at 03:29 AM.
Old 09-19-2013, 05:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Apparently, programming mileage with IDS/SDD requires a form to be submitted to Jaguar Head Office, and it requires a one time password from Jaguar Tech Support.

However, there are other devices out there for resetting mileage that may or may not work on Jaguars.

Old 09-19-2013, 09:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 490 Likes on 358 Posts

There's always a way as it is quite profitable. Best way to avoid this fraud is to get service records. Call the dealer the car was originally sold from to get a head start.Also, look in the service books and door jams for any place the owner may have forgotten to remove past records in order to hide his tracks. I wouldn't want to buy any car that didn't have service records and then I can do the arithmetic. If there is a huge time gap between services or none, that would be a red flag.

Old 09-19-2013, 10:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

When I used Autocheck helping a friend, it alerted me to altered mileage.... Something the basic buyer would not have known....

Not sure about carfax...

Just an FYI

Vince

Old 09-19-2013, 10:57 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the replys.

My own personal CarFax and AutoCheck reports did provide confidence that when buying my 2009 Jaguar XKR Portfolio Edition the mileage was correctly posted as evidenced by the history of the car. I also spoke with West Palm Beach Jaguar to verify all service records. I am glad I paid for the reports and called the dealer. Some potential car buyers may not want to go though this process.

I am still not 100% sure of what the re-progamming of the car does or what it entails or why Jaguar dealers do it.

Perhaps someone can shed some light on the re-programming issue.

Old 09-19-2013, 11:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by bocatrip
Best way to avoid this fraud is to get service records. Call the dealer the car was originally sold from to get a head start.Also, look in the service books and door jams for any place the owner may have forgotten to remove past records in order to hide his tracks. I wouldn't want to buy any car that didn't have service records and then I can do the arithmetic. If there is a huge time gap between services or none, that would be a red flag.
You want the service history and receipts to paint a clear picture with no gaps and with the expected mileage at each record.

Car had 8-10K miles a year every year then 2 years it went only 2K total should raise some flags if not supported in paperwork.

Old 09-19-2013, 12:30 PM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts

On many cars the mileage is tied to the cluster itself. The cluster can be reprogrammed once to a higher mileage during its first 100 miles of life. After that, it is unalterable. The purpose is to allow replacement clusters to be programmed with the correct mileage.

Old 09-19-2013, 06:13 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This is a question that has always concerned me about Jaguars. I'd like to own one, but am put off by the question of mileage resets. Lots of "19.900" and "24,850" Mi cars out there

However, I've discovered something in my BMW 5-series. I do all my own work, including programming and diagnostics via INPA, DIS etc. In the 30+ separate controllers in my car are multiple places where actions are recorded with the mileage at that time.

For example, I replaced a battery, and the power management controller permanently records it as 90,000 Km. A new Transmission control unit is recorded (on the unit) as having been installed at 95,000 Km. And so on. If the odometer reads 30,000 km, it's hard to explain the rest of the mileage data.

These mileage records would never be altered unless the dealer/owner re-installed all the software in every Control Unit with a record, or hacked the actual eprom records to change them. Doubtful.

Do recent Jag XK's have programming software available on the aftermarket that allows reading controller module data? Such packages are available for late model BMW's for less than $100.

Could answer the question of hacked odometers pretty quickly.

Thanks.

Old 09-19-2013, 07:01 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
You want the service history and receipts to paint a clear picture with no gaps and with the expected mileage at each record.
Most dealers will only confirm the service history. The dealers are prohibited under privacy rules/laws to release copies of the service records in order to protect the previous owners/lessee of the automobile.

In my case, the dealer (West Palm Beach Jaguar) was able to confirm the service appointments and what type servce that was completed, but would NOT provide me with actual copies of the service history in written form. They wanted to protect the name of the previous person who leased the Jaguar.

I thought that was very fair. Their verbal records did confirm both the Carfax and AutoCheck records. When I called the dealer service department, all they needed was the last 6 digits of the VIN to retrieve the service records which took only seconds to retrieve.

Old 09-19-2013, 11:02 PM
Veteran Member

Most dealers will only confirm the service history. The dealers are prohibited under privacy rules/laws to release copies of the service records in order to protect the previous owners/lessee of the automobile.

In my case, the dealer (West Palm Beach Jaguar) was able to confirm the service appointments and what type servce that was completed, but would NOT provide me with actual copies of the service history in written form. They wanted to protect the name of the previous person who leased the Jaguar.

I thought that was very fair. Their verbal records did confirm both the Carfax and AutoCheck records. When I called the dealer service department, all they needed was the last 6 digits of the VIN to retrieve the service records which took only seconds to retrieve.
Was West Palm Beach Jaguar able to confirm the service appointments for a car they themselves serviced or any car serviced by a any Jaguar dealership?

Old 09-20-2013, 12:26 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bocatrip
Was West Palm Beach Jaguar able to confirm the service appointments for a car they themselves serviced or any car serviced by a any Jaguar dealership?
WPB Jaguar was able to confirm the service records that they completed. I asked them the same question. Jaguar dealership computers are NOT linked to a major computer data base, like a Walgreens drug store. Each dealer maintains their own records. From the CarFax I had the car was 98% serviced by WPB Jaguar. It was a leased vehicle and kept in the Miami area it's whole life. Vehicle was sold originally in Sarasota, Florida by Wilde Jaguar then WPB serviced it from that point on. WPB Jaguar is a series of dealerships under the name of Palm Beach Motor Cars which own dealerships of Aston-Martin, Fisker (now no more), Jaguar and Land Rover at 2 different locations.

Old 09-20-2013, 09:08 AM
Veteran Member

I bought my XK from Jag dealer and they had every receipt from tires, oil changes, car detailing... Window Sticker... Every penny the owner spent on the car was included with the car to me.

Old 09-20-2013, 12:57 PM
Veteran Member

I bought my XK from Jag dealer and they had every receipt from tires, oil changes, car detailing... Window Sticker... Every penny the owner spent on the car was included with the car to me.
Your very lucky....did the dealer actually print the service records and supply them to you, or where they left in the car for you from the previous owner?

Did the receipts show the previous ownes name who made and paid for the repairs, tires, deatiling etc.?

Old 09-20-2013, 02:24 PM
Veteran Member

That really is the only way to go, especially with the Jaguar.

Old 09-20-2013, 02:58 PM
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Wow, this is horrible news I've obtained history printouts from non-Jaguar dealers in the past, and all they do is cut out the name of the previous owner. All dealerships reported into a central location, so I was able to see services performed at any location!

Old 09-20-2013, 03:41 PM
Veteran Member

Your very lucky....did the dealer actually print the service records and supply them to you, or where they left in the car for you from the previous owner?

Did the receipts show the previous ownes name who made and paid for the repairs, tires, deatiling etc.?
They were the original receipts with previous owners name and everything. They traded the car in with 17K miles to buy a new XK. Bought and traded in at same dealer.

Dealership thought the car would sit due to being Seafrost Green, but my saleslady knew that it was the exact car I was looking for. Not necessarily that color (never heard of it before this car), but the overall condition and fully loaded.

Bought sight unseen. No inspection, just some good photos. Shipped it enclosed. So far so good.

Old 09-20-2013, 07:32 PM
Veteran Member

They were the original receipts with previous owners name and everything. They traded the car in with 17K miles to buy a new XK. Bought and traded in at same dealer.

Dealership thought the car would sit due to being Seafrost Green, but my saleslady knew that it was the exact car I was looking for. Not necessarily that color (never heard of it before this car), but the overall condition and fully loaded.

Bought sight unseen. No inspection, just some good photos. Shipped it enclosed. So far so good.
Awesome. You were fortunate to get the records. Good job.

Old 09-20-2013, 07:43 PM
Veteran Member

That was one great thing when purchasing a Lexus. Most Lexus owners will only bring their cars (even after warranty expires) to dealership. The printout I got on my 01 LS430 started in 2001-2010(date I purchased it) covering every dealership regardless of state with mileage and work done. Pages of info to read. My Infiniti is the same regardless of which dealership it is serviced.

Quick Reply: Mileage (odometer) roll back on Jaguars