Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Service required message on again

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 05:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 490 Likes on 358 Posts
Default Service required message on again

Almost to the day, one year ago I started a thread titled Service Required Message. I understood from that thread that our cars have an oil sensor that picks up when the oil in my car requires changing. I do very little driving and now even less. From my last oil change I've gone maybe 700-800 miles in one year. My car has a little over 9300 miles. Well the light is on again. I will be planning on bringing my car in to Jaguar for my yearly oil change and reset the message to keep my warranty in force as well as getting rid of oil with contaminates from so little driving. The message certainly cannot be triggered by the odometer for such little mileage, so I guess this sensor is really doing it's job right? Amazing. I know I have a bunch of coupons around to save on this $150 oil change.

Old 05-26-2017, 05:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,894 Likes on 1,285 Posts

Sounds more like a simple clock. One year has elapsed... ding!

Old 05-26-2017, 05:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

It is reset by the dealer or if you reset it yourself it will come on in a year. This is the annual service requirement. If you put 800 miles on in a year it is a waste to change the oil. This has nothing to do with sensing oil quality.

Old 05-26-2017, 05:48 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagtoes
It is reset by the dealer or if you reset it yourself it will come on in a year. This is the annual service requirement. If you put 800 miles on in a year it is a waste to change the oil. This has nothing to do with sensing oil quality.
Too bad that dip sticks have gone the way of frontierland! It would be nice to look at the oil.....but no can do!

Last edited by bocatrip; 05-26-2017 at 05:52 PM.
Old 05-26-2017, 05:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,160 Likes on 3,090 Posts

'Service Required' Message appears on dashboard (2009+ models in the UK, 2010+ models
elsewhere):

-This service reminder message sometimes appears as a result of the battery disconnect. Reset
it as follows:

1. Press and hold the rear fog lamp switch (before the ignition is on).
2. Press the start button without applying the foot brake (do not start the engine)
3. Release the rear fog lamp switch (1sec)
4. Press and hold the trip computer cycle switch (within 1sec).
5. Press and hold the rear fog lamp switch. (within 1sec)
6. Continue to hold the trip computer and rear fog lamp switches.
7. The message center should display "resetting service mode" and then "service mode reset"
8. Release the trip computer and the fog lamp switches and turn the ignition off.

Easy to reset, but you do need to get a good rhythm going and not mess up or you'll have to try it again. I practice about six times on a steady count on one-second intervals before my first attempt, and it works nearly every time.

The following users liked this post:
GordoCatCar (08-22-2017)
Old 05-26-2017, 05:59 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

There's no requirement to use a dealer for oil changes.

Old 05-26-2017, 08:30 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mikey
There's no requirement to use a dealer for oil changes.
Will most Independents know how to reset the Service Required without much efforts? Also, how much will I really be saving with a fully synthetic oil change? The Jaguar dealerships suck the oil out and replenish. The Independents are going to drain and refill. I'm a sucker to have the dealership rape me for extra bucks as insurance in case I have any engine or related issues down the road. Just my thoughts. And any engine issues with our cars are mucho dollars.

Old 05-26-2017, 08:45 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Sounds like you've got your mind made up.

Old 05-26-2017, 08:52 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bocatrip
Will most Independents know how to reset the Service Required without much efforts? Also, how much will I really be saving with a fully synthetic oil change? The Jaguar dealerships suck the oil out and replenish. The Independents are going to drain and refill. I'm a sucker to have the dealership rape me for extra bucks as insurance in case I have any engine or related issues down the road. Just my thoughts. And any engine issues with our cars are mucho dollars.
Any independent can change your oil . Some will extract it and some will go under to pull the drain plug. If you go that way see if you can find someone who is familiar with Jaguars. You can make sure they use the Jaguar specification type oil which you can find in the owners manual. They may or may not know how to reset the service reminder. I have a vacuum extractor which I use on my 3 other vehicles but I decided to let the dealer take care of this car while it is still covered by CPO. So far this car has only cost me the $160 a year oil change and a set of tires. So not a big deal.

Old 05-26-2017, 10:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 631 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by bocatrip
If you are most comfortable with the dealer go there and don't look back. Seriously, my dealer charges $140, which I paid. I could go to an indy and save $50 to $70, why worry about such a small incremental annual difference in cost? I am all about finding the most value for my money, a once a year minor expense just isn't where I spend my time. I blow more entertaining customers in 15 minutes at the local single-mothers-of-america-charity nude club.

Old 05-27-2017, 01:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Originally Posted by tampamark
If you are most comfortable with the dealer go there and don't look back. Seriously, my dealer charges $140, which I paid. I could go to an indy and save $50 to $70, why worry about such a small incremental annual difference in cost? I am all about finding the most value for my money, a once a year minor expense just isn't where I spend my time. I blow more entertaining customers in 15 minutes at the local single-mothers-of-america-charity nude club.
I know folks who will spend $65 at the movies and burn a gallon of gas driving to find cheaper gas. They feel some things are a scam. I would not go to jiffy lube if it was free. While nothing is beneath me, many places are unbecoming of a Jaguar to be at. Why ruin the love affair for pennies.

Old 05-27-2017, 09:19 AM
Received 214 Likes on 149 Posts

I would not take my car to the dealer for an oil change even it it was free. It takes an hour to drive to the dealer to drop it off and drive home. Then another hour to pick it up. Times two for someone to pick me up each way = four hours for an oil change. Or 15 minutes to pump the oil out, change the filter, and refill at home.

Old 05-27-2017, 10:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,160 Likes on 3,090 Posts

Originally Posted by davchr
I would not take my car to the dealer for an oil change even it it was free. It takes an hour to drive to the dealer to drop it off and drive home. Then another hour to pick it up. Times two for someone to pick me up each way = four hours for an oil change. Or 15 minutes to pump the oil out, change the filter, and refill at home.
My closest Dealer is Over an hour one-way, so double that time for me.

Old 05-27-2017, 11:37 AM
Veteran Member

My dealer is 1 1/2 hours away and an enjoyable drive. It's OK for me as my kid lies in the same city so I can have a visit and lunch and enjoy the ride home. They also would give me a loaner but with the oil change and the check list verification it's easy for me to stay and have a cup of coffee and some pastries. I bring my tablet and read some of the various forms I'm on. The ride home on a scenic parkway is fun. Being retired it's easy to select my appointment .

Old 05-27-2017, 11:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

It's OK for me as my kid lies in the same city
Politician?

Old 05-27-2017, 11:56 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
Politician?
LOL , good catch. LIVES , hahaha

Queen and Country (05-27-2017)
Old 05-27-2017, 06:45 PM
Received 214 Likes on 149 Posts

Being retired it's easy to select my appointment .
I am retired too. It seems like I have less free time now than when I had a job. When I had a job I could sky out of work "to get my car fixed". Now I have to take care of that on my own time!

Cee Jay (05-27-2017)